Civ V Won't Start

Silenthunter65

Chieftain
I tried starting up Civ V, I get to the screen where it tells you to select a directx mode. No matter which one I choose, the screen goes away and nothing happens.

I had my task manager up and checked to see if it was running and it shows up in the process tree for a few seconsd and then goes away.

I've been reading up on the problem and browsed multiple forums for solutions but to no avail.

I tried...
Verifying the integrity of my game cache
Restarting my computer
Reinstalling the game
updating my video drivers
Deleting the intro videos
running as admin
running under compatibility mode
turning off my anti-virus and ending unneccesary processes
i tried one solutuion to reinstall vcredist
i tried sacrificing small animals to a number of gods

...but nothing worked

Can anyone help me?

dxdiag in attached file.

Attachments

• DxDiagupdate.txt
    54.2 KB · Views: 706
Absolutely nothing. I ran the scannow and it said that it didn't find any integrity violations. I tried reinstalling the directx like the op recommended, and still nothing :/

Did you:

1. Open up your config.ini
2. Look for the following line: EnableGameCoreThreading = 1
3. Change it to: EnableGameCoreThreading = 0

The only other thing is (if at all possible) try a different video card. It could be a fault in the hardware itself.

I can't, the folder in my games has been deleted and it won't show up again. :( I can't restore it either because I already emptied my recycle bin.

And I doubt it's the hardware, brand new dual 6700HD's.

Did you have trouble before or after installing the New 6700's?

It is possible that the New Cards have introduced new bugs.

The computer industry is very well known for coming out with sleaker faster cards, that do not have all the bells and wistles of the older high end cards.

For instance a new 7000 may be lower in over-all-performance than a 5900.

If you are running dual cards that may also be a new issue that needs to be sorted out.

This may be a long shot, but can you copy the config.ini file from your laptop and see what happens with it in your desktop?

Another step involving more work is trying to run with just one 6700?? Allow the game to "stabalize" and then add the other 6700 back in. Or wait until a driver update and patch comes out addressing any issues.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

It's a Steam related issue. Running steam in offline mode allows me to run to Civ 5 without a problem.

I have no what the exact problem is with Steam that's preventing me from running the game while Steam's online. But I'm just happy I can play the game on max graphics in my cozy desk chair :)

Thanks for the help guys!

Edit: Also, I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but I'll put it here just in case it does and in case it helps anyone else;
I also disabled steam in-game overlay.

I tried starting up Civ V, I get to the screen where it tells you to select a directx mode. No matter which one I choose, the screen goes away and nothing happens.

I had my task manager up and checked to see if it was running and it shows up in the process tree for a few seconsd and then goes away.

I've been reading up on the problem and browsed multiple forums for solutions but to no avail.

I tried...
Verifying the integrity of my game cache
Restarting my computer
Reinstalling the game
updating my video drivers
Deleting the intro videos
running as admin
running under compatibility mode
turning off my anti-virus and ending unneccesary processes
i tried one solutuion to reinstall vcredist
i tried sacrificing small animals to a number of gods

...but nothing worked

Can anyone help me?

dxdiag in attached file.

I had the same problem, however it was because two dll files were missing even after countless installs and file verification scans from steam.

d3dx9_42.dll
d3dx11_42.dll

I downloaded both individually and added them to my game folder. PROBLEM SOLVED!

NEVER EVER download single dll files from the internet. They are most likely infected with some crap, viruses, trojans, and so on.
If you are really missing dll files, then re-install the program to which they belong to. In this case that would obviously be DirectX9 and DirectX11.

NEVER EVER download single dll files from the internet. They are most likely infected with some crap, viruses, trojans, and so on.
If you are really missing dll files, then re-install the program to which they belong to. In this case that would obviously be DirectX9 and DirectX11.

lol

All dll files are not infected with viruses. Reinstalling Civ V multiple times did not resolve the problem. And you shouldn't have to install dx9 or dx11.

To curb paranoia, check the md5 hash of both dll files before you use them to ensure they are legit. Also, you can't execute dll files without an executable file to run it. so downloading it won't cause any harm unless you copy it to a folder that has a running executable looking for that specific dll file.

I'm not some stupid kid that downloads random crap all over the internet to install it on my machine.

more assurance:

https://www.virustotal.com/file/f8b...921dc180634a1febca2a9d41a0df35d3472/analysis/
https://www.virustotal.com/file/8c8...e831a5ce0a16023845f7fa7fcb597772e85/analysis/

Had this same problem. My motherboard Z77 extreme3 came with Virtu MVP GPU Virtualization software. Going into it's config under applications and disabling the virtualization for civ5 made it work.

I had the same problem, however it was because two dll files were missing even after countless installs and file verification scans from steam.

d3dx9_42.dll
d3dx11_42.dll

I downloaded both individually and added them to my game folder. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Where in the game folder did you put them ?
because I can't see them in my game folder !:confused:
Maybe you put it in the system folder, which version of windows do you use ? 95/ 98/ Me/ NT/ 200/ XP/ Vista/ 7/ 8/ Windows 64bit.
Dll's are located in the C:\Windows\system folder of what ever version of windows you are using
I had the same problem with missing d3dx9_42.dll and d3dx11_42.dll, downloading the latest version of direct x from microsoft, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35,
solved the issue with none of the hassle of trying to add dll files.

In order to fix my civ I had to open the DirectX choices dialogue (you get this window when running Civ 5 from steam for the first time) then you need to right click the version of Civ you want to run and make it a shortcut on your desktop. When I run Civ 5 from this shortcut it works fine.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

It's a Steam related issue. Running steam in offline mode allows me to run to Civ 5 without a problem.

I have no what the exact problem is with Steam that's preventing me from running the game while Steam's online. But I'm just happy I can play the game on max graphics in my cozy desk chair :)

Thanks for the help guys!

Edit: Also, I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but I'll put it here just in case it does and in case it helps anyone else;
I also disabled steam in-game overlay.

FWIW This solution worked for me.
No issues launching in fullscreen mode, but windowed wouldn't work except with Steam in offline mode.

Top Bottom