Who is this new leader?

Pedro Vs. Maria in a sibling rivalry match.

If it is Maria II, so we will have for the fisrt time on civ history brothers as leaders. Dom Pedro II is her young brother.

Ah, that'd be quite fun! :) Too bad they don't have references to one another in their leader screens (Gustavus has a painting of a young woman wearing the exact same dress as Maria Theresa even though it doesn't make quite sense). Sure we haven't seen her's (assuming she is in and, this is her), but being outside, it's doubtful they could add much beyond blue sky and waters. :lol:

Another thing I find interesting: it'd be a colonial empire led by a woman, with it's biggest colony led by a white haired man - guess who else fits this bill! :lol:
Maybe we'll even get something like this for Spain as well!!! :eek: :lol:

Upon closer inspection, the supposed "water" in the background does look more like flat land viewed from up high.

Let me reiterate: Palácio de Belém has no water near it as it sits atop the peak of the Arrábida mountain range. If there is water, it has to be the Torre de Belém. And if you exclude Maria I's madness, how was the Braganza dynasty marked by it and sadness? There was the earthquake of Lisbon in 1755 which sent the kingdom into poverty until this day, along with the loss of Brazil as a part of the empire in 1822. But madness? Firaxis, care to explain?

Let me reiterate: Palácio de Belém has no water near it as it sits atop the peak of the Arrábida mountain range. If there is water, it has to be the Torre de Belém. And if you exclude Maria I's madness, how was the Braganza dynasty marked by it and sadness? There was the earthquake of Lisbon in 1755 which sent the kingdom into poverty until this day, along with the loss of Brazil as a part of the empire in 1822. But madness? Firaxis, care to explain?

Uh, didn't Maria II die during childbirth, also losing the baby? Sounds pretty tragic to me.

I actually feel kind of proud of Nunor. That's some good detective work.

Uh, didn't Maria II die during childbirth, also losing the baby? Sounds pretty tragic to me.

Tragic events don't automatically make a person mad. I'm feeling slightly insulted at the moment that Firaxis chose to label the entire fourth dynasty of my country's monarchy as mad, if the civ in question really is Portugal.

I dont think its necessarily water. it can be sky and clouds.

Tragic events don't automatically make a person mad. I'm feeling slightly insulted at the moment that Firaxis chose to label the entire fourth dynasty of my country's monarchy as mad, if the civ in question really is Portugal.

Your reaction sounds a bit funny. Don't be that sensitive! :lol:

Why would you exclude her madness?

Your reaction sounds a bit funny. Don't be that sensitive! :lol:

How would you feel if someone decided that the republican period of Brazil was marked by corruption just because Collor de Melo was once the president for two years?

Some excerpts from Wikipedia:

Afonso VI of Portugal- "...His mental instability and paralysis, plus his lack of interest in government, left his mother as regent for six years, until 1662"

Maria I of Portugal - "Her madness was first officially noticed in 1786 when Maria had to be carried back to her apartments in a state of delirium. The queen's mental state became increasingly worse"

Lisbon earthquake - "In combination with subsequent fires and a tsunami, the earthquake almost totally destroyed Lisbon and adjoining areas. Seismologists today estimate the Lisbon earthquake had a magnitude in the range 8.5–9.0 on the moment magnitude scale (...) Estimates place the death toll in Lisbon alone between 10,000 and 100,000 people, making it one of the deadliest earthquakes in history."

Lisbon regicide - "was the name given for the assassinations of King Carlos I of Portugal and his heir-apparent, Prince Royal Luís Filipe (Duke of Braganza), by assassins sympathetic to republican interests and aided by elements within the Portuguese Carbonária, disenchanted politicians and anti-monarchists."

I'd say there's plenty of madness and tragedy....

That's is one loose end I cannot seem to tie in together... The only thing I remember being "tragedy and madness", besides Dona Maria I (I guess? I still think this is a weird connection), would be the Lisbon Regicide, which pretty much ended the House of Bragança, after the death of Carlos I and his son Luís Filipe. We'd still have Manuel II, but he ruled for a short time and the Portuguese monarchy was fini... Other than this... I have no clue... :confused:

EDIT: Oh, and the Earthquake of 1755, which was a tragic event for Portugal...

EDIT2: But the clue clearly says the dynasty was characterized by tragedy and madness, not fell into it - so I'm clueless! :confused:

Why would you exclude her madness?

Because she was the only mad ruler in that dynasty of 14 kings/queens which went from 1640 to 1910. A bit of a stretch.
It was indeed a period marred by tragedy on different accounts. No doubts there. But the madness thing irks me.

How would you feel if someone decided that the republican period of Brazil was marked by corruption just because Collor de Melo was once the president for two years?
It is indeed marked by corruption and not only because of Collor, we had scandals with every president :p

But I understand you :)

The architectural arguments pretty much make me think it is Portugal, but the shadow to me seems more like a man with a cape, a staff and a feathered hat, not like a woman.

Top Bottom