Who is this new leader?

Nujabes

Prince
I'm finding the argument for either Maria is much more convincing now. From a certain angle you could argue that the shadow looks like an old-fashioned woman's dress. Heck, the "feather" could actually be part of a hairpiece or something that's just at a bad angle.

I was about to point this out as well. The way the silhouette flares out down near the hands makes it look like someone wearing a poofy dress.

JSMCAG

King
It would be exactly the situation we have with Elizabeth. In her era, England wasn't renowned for ruling the waves (beating the Spanish Armada was more noteworthy on the basis that the English navy was the clear underdog), yet the UA is a clear reference to the British Empire. Other civs have similar situations.

We must remember that the leaders are merely symbolic figureheads; not all uniques need to be representative of their respective reigns.
Not to mention Napoléon Bonaparte and his unique ability Ancien Régime! :crazyeye:
And D. Pedro II Carnaval!!!! :lol:

And many others! :p Portugal can still have uniques from the Age of Discoveries, regardless of Dona Maria II being the leader.

ferretbacon

Obsessor
Is the setting supposed to be the Sintra Palace or Pena Palace? Because the pictures I'm finding of the Sintra look nothing like the pictures posted here. They look like the Pena. :confused:

pedrosfm

Chieftain
Not to mention Napoléon Bonaparte and his unique ability Ancien Régime! :crazyeye:
And D. Pedro II Carnaval!!!! :lol:

And many others! :p Portugal can still have uniques from the Age of Discoveries, regardless of Dona Maria II being the leader.

Ahahah! Well spotted! :lol:

Green_Power

Chieftain
Is the setting supposed to be the Sintra Palace or Pena Palace? Because the pictures I'm finding of the Sintra look nothing like the pictures posted here. They look like the Pena. :confused:
It's the Pena National Palace, also in Sintra. Not Sintra National Palace, that's another one. Yea, Sintra is a beautiful place, that's why the Kings and Queens of Portugal built palaces there and decided to make them summer houses.

You guys should definitely visit Portugal. You'll be amazed for how beautiful and diverse the all country is. Yea, I'm suspect, but it really is beautiful. Sun, beaches, good food and wine, warm people, cheap, safe. Can't beat that. For the ones of you who don't know, Portugal is the Western most country in Europe.

wilbeard

Chieftain

It's meant to be the Pena Palace, in Sintra municipality. I think there was a miscommunication somewhere along the way.

cybrxkhan

Asian Xwedodah
I was about to point this out as well. The way the silhouette flares out down near the hands makes it look like someone wearing a poofy dress.

Yeah, exactly - once I realized that the shadow was actually getting bigger towards the bottom, I realized that it was almost certainly a woman wearing some sort of 16-19th century European dress.

Louis XXIV

Le Roi Soleil
Also, the building in the bottom left of the poster appears to be a Feitoria

Portugal looks pretty much confirmed

How the hell can you tell what it is? Which one is it (relative to the Motte and Bailey).

ferretbacon

Obsessor
It's the Pena National Palance, in Sintra.

I see.

I don't mind a new female leader, I was expecting a couple, but now the Iberian Peninsula gets no male representation.

Sorta hoping it's not Maria II.

ottobot

Chieftain
wishful thinking spurred by that turban makes me guess an asian nation, but logic suggests portugal.

cybrxkhan

Asian Xwedodah
Another thing - if you look closely, you can see a hand 'holding' onto the dress right below the scepter (I think). I don't think a dude would be holding onto his clothes like that.

pedrosfm

Chieftain

The pictures that were posted here are from the Pena National Palace which is the one that also seems to be present in the screenshot the devs provided. It was built in the XIX century. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pena_National_Palace

Sintra National Palace is a smaller, more ancient palace built during the medieval age in the center of the historic town, although it was also a royal palace. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sintra_National_Palace

Edit: Both palaces are in the municipality of Sintra, hence the miscommunication/confusion.

Louis XXIV

Le Roi Soleil
Why are people thinking Maria II? The hint was about tragedy and madness... that's Maria I.

The hint was about her dynasty (i.e., her ancestors). Otherwise, they would have said "life" or "reign."

WHAT IF (nota bene, pure hypothesis) Maria I is the leader? And she was represented, like, loca loca loca??

Well, they did that for Nebuchadnezzar, but I guess there are fewer Babylonians who would get upset ;)

Loaf Warden

(no party affiliation)
Well, they did that for Nebuchadnezzar, but I guess there are fewer Babylonians who would get upset ;)

For what it's worth, it annoyed me. But then, I didn't see any reason to get rid of Hammurabi, whom I consider to be as much a Civ institution as Shaka. But then, they did give his music to the Persians in Civ IV, so I guess they were jerking him around already. :twitch:

JSMCAG

King
I just came to the conclusion that, most likely, Shaka and Dona Maria II won't have a video to introduce them, unlike D. Pedro II and Ashurbanipal... :( I wanted to hear their voices...

You think we'll get the uniques tomorrow too, or that'll be left for a later announcement?
Be sure to keep a close eye on Portuguese and Assyrian gaming media! :lol:

Again, assuming that is, in fact, Dona Maria II... What can I say, you guys convinced me! :lol:

Eagle Pursuit

Per Scribendum, Volo
Maria also had another mad ancestor. Joanna the Mad. She was Castilian.

Top Bottom