German playthrough 14/6/13

IMO religion is getting too powerful. I like the idea of it being a bonus, but not necessary and not always the best choice.

1. You sacrifice other bonuses for a Reformation Belief

2. You can only get a Reformation Belief when you have a religion.

Relgious Fevor will make Byzantium very deadly, because if they get Holy Warriors and then reform to get fevor, they can spam units to hearts content, and still be a powerful relgion.

What is next?

Pious futuristic paratroopers united by common faith with holy plasma weaponry and holy powered exoskeletons who fight against heathen malevolent extraterrestrials?

BNW is too silly, especially with sci-fi crusades.

I am sorry, but what about the new reformation beliefs is unrealistic...?

Of all the things to argue about, that's a pretty weak argument God of Kings.

I've always taken CiV religion as more of a cultural reflection of the populace, with ideological faith (and fanaticism) replacing that of prophets and holy books in later eras. One can have (an unhealthy) faith in a governmental system just as much as any structured mythos.

I've always taken religion in the game for what they truly are, a set of minor bonuses. I'm glad to see that there will be more bonuses to choose from and to consider.

What is next?

Pious futuristic paratroopers united by common faith with holy plasma weaponry and holy powered exoskeletons who fight against heathen malevolent extraterrestrials?

BNW is too silly, especially with sci-fi crusades.

trolling? There are guys today who are fighting for faith, not profit or patriotism per se. The notion of having a religion that inspires followers, even in modern times, to take up arms is hardly unrealistic.

I've always taken religion in the game for what they truly are, a set of minor bonuses. I'm glad to see that there will be more bonuses to choose from and to consider.
Religion provides minor bonuses, but you have to structure the whole way you play the game around getting them. Much of the time the reward doesn't feel sufficient to the effort expended.

Hopefully the new Piety policies will help to improve the rewards and help them feel better integrated with the rest of the game.

Religion provides minor bonuses, but you have to structure the whole way you play the game around getting them. Much of the time the reward doesn't feel sufficient to the effort expended.

Hopefully the new Piety policies will help to improve the rewards and help them feel better integrated with the rest of the game.

I agree, I don't think the cost/benefit is there, esp. when one is generating 1000+ bpt or 500 cpt or have 40+ happiness all without help from beliefs. That's why I rarely make any effort to spread beyond my borders, except to desiring city-states. I do make an effort to get a choice Pantheon and do try to get good faith production to buy holy warriories and/or great persons. Now I understand that I have more options to purchase with faith and that's a good thing.

[...] the ability to buy science buildings with Faith [...]

maybe the text is wrong. But when you look closely at the "Jesuit Education" belief, it doensn't say "buy" scientific buildings with faith, but build scientific buildings with faith...

Maybe that means that you can't purchase these buildings like you could with a cathedral. Instead your faith per turn is converted into hammers or something like that.

I have to admit, though: Religious Fervor (Use Faith to purchase Industrial Era (and later) land units) sounds EXTREMELY dangerous. Holy Warriors isn't that big a deal, because you're usually Faith restricted pre-Industrial and you can generally either buy Missionaries to spread your religion OR military units, but usually not both. If you spread your religion then post-Industrial you often have tons of Faith but nothing to spend it on. Now if you can spend that Faith on post-Industrial units...

I call a Jihad on you!

I call a Jihad on you!
:lol:

Also, if only we still had Grenadiers... :mischief:

We can still do something similar though!
...And Saint Attila raised the Nuclear Missile up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Thy Nuclear Missile that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu...

:lol:

Also, if only we still had Grenadiers... :mischief:

We can still do something similar though!
...And Saint Attila raised the Nuclear Missile up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Thy Nuclear Missile that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu...

*Cough* Skip a bit, Brother.

Motherland Calls art splash was shown again. Outdated info or is there still a possibility it will be a new Wonder?

Previewer clearly uses some old screenshots, like Poland leader concept. So, this confirms nothing.

I have to admit, though: Religious Fervor (Use Faith to purchase Industrial Era (and later) land units) sounds EXTREMELY dangerous. Holy Warriors isn't that big a deal, because you're usually Faith restricted pre-Industrial and you can generally either buy Missionaries to spread your religion OR military units, but usually not both. If you spread your religion then post-Industrial you often have tons of Faith but nothing to spend it on. Now if you can spend that Faith on post-Industrial units...

I call a Jihad on you!

In every other thread, I see this. It's too dangerous to associate Native Americans with barbarians, it's too dangerous too associate part of German abilities with Nazi, now it's too dangerous to buy post-industrial units with faith as it could be seen as Jihad reference...

I think people should stop being afraid of such things :)

Currently :c5faith: purchase cost goes up with era. (x1.5 at Renaissance and x2 at Industrial, as so on, except great person costs.). Does these new beliefs imply that penalty is gone or does not apply to Jesuit Education or Religious Fervor?

In every other thread, I see this. It's too dangerous to associate Native Americans with barbarians, it's too dangerous too associate part of German abilities with Nazi, now it's too dangerous to buy post-industrial units with faith as it could be seen as Jihad reference... I think people should stop being afraid of such things
I think you misunderstand me. I was saying that it could be a powerful gameplay technique. I couldn't care less about the political correctness aspect of it.

Top Bottom