• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Capto Iugulum Background Thread

Argentina, at least while I've been Peru, has had a much more aggressive opposition to Brazil. SK might have been different though, and I'm not sure how far back Dright's policy would have stretched.

Not very far. I honestly believe that all the trouble came from OOC boredom on his part. And we can't let OOC boredom change what we do IC. For roleplaying continuity we must do what makes the most sense. It is hard to do that when some players are repeatedly making the dumbest decisions imaginable. Prior to recent player change ups the only people I trusted to know what they were doing were Iggy, TLJ, Azale, and Crezth.

Paper power means very little. Too many players have that christos mentality of "I've got men so I should invade you." The real spirit of CI is in diplomacy. If you're not absolutely misunderstanding the point of NESing, you should be a reasonable fellow. And if you're a reasonable fellow I can talk you out of unreasonable behavior 9 times out of 10.

Not very far. I honestly believe that all the trouble came from OOC boredom on his part. And we can't let OOC boredom change what we do IC. For roleplaying continuity we must do what makes the most sense. It is hard to do that when some players are repeatedly making the dumbest decisions imaginable. Prior to recent player change ups the only people I trusted to know what they were doing were Iggy, TLJ, Azale, and Crezth.

Paper power means very little. Too many players have that christos mentality of "I've got men so I should invade you." The real spirit of CI is in diplomacy. If you're not absolutely misunderstanding the point of NESing, you should be a reasonable fellow. And if you're a reasonable fellow I can talk you out of unreasonable behavior 9 times out of 10.

And if i can't talk you out of behavior i don't want you to engage in, then YOU are unreasonable and never my expectations???

For reasons which should be obvious to you, I resent not being on this list :huh:

Am I the only one who keeps thinking "RL World War 1" with this sudden flurry of extensive, wide ranging Mutual Defense treaties? Now, by proxy of Brazil, the Confederation and Corsica could potentially have to send troops to fight in South America if, say, the Mayans and Aztecs went to war. Even better, if the war in Europe expands, all these piddly South American nations would have to send troops to fight in a war that has zero chance of affecting them. I'm sure their citizens will be super excited about that

It depends on if Mutual Defense treaties are transitive or not. I've never considered them to be: if nation B is honoring nation A's defense treaty, and nation B calls upon nation C to aid them, this is an entirely different circumstance than nation A being attacked and calling upon nation B to aid them. If they are, then that's a gap in my knowledge of international law which is to be fixed. If not, I see no problems with large but noninclusive MDP's.

Am I the only one who keeps thinking "RL World War 1" with this sudden flurry of extensive, wide ranging Mutual Defense treaties? Now, by proxy of Brazil, the Confederation and Corsica could potentially have to send troops to fight in South America if, say, the Mayans and Aztecs went to war. Even better, if the war in Europe expands, all these piddly South American nations would have to send troops to fight in a war that has zero chance of affecting them. I'm sure their citizens will be super excited about that

It isn't like you have to call allies into wars. Look at Britain, it hasn't even called Argentina.

People have this idea of defensive pacts that they are automatically binding, non-negotiable, and absolutely immutable. This is not Victoria - you won't lose score if you don't honour an alliance or a call to arms.

Defensive pacts, as we've seen them, are a statement of intent and public support - "If you are attacked, we will defend and support you." Now, when push comes to a shove, the nation being called might stay out of the war and ignore the call to arms, or send money and equipment or anything else, but whatever they do there's really nothing their defensive partner can do about it, and by not honouring the alliance by immediately declaring war like the defensive pact demands them to, the worst thing they lose is a potentially worse relationship with their supposed ally, if they don't agree to the reduction in assistance. And if thats judged as worth it, well - what can you do.

Signing a defensive pact with somebody doesn't mean that you will suddenly leap into action if they get into a war. We can infer from the context of this war that the Brazilian-Confederate DP means that if the Russians decide that the German border isn't enough and come steaming over into France, the Brazilians will likely be very, very displeased to the point of possibly declaring war on Russia and sending soldiers to Europe. Russia doesn't know just how much more it will bite off by invading the Confederation, and as above it can infer from the context that Brazil will do something, which means it will be less likely to invade the Confederation if something like this was planned - in my opinion, less likely to the point of not doing it at all if it ever planned to do it (though I doubt they did), but I don't know how much the Russians value the Confederation and the Brazilian relationship.

However, if, I don't know, Brittany, declares war on the Confederation, the Brazilians are not going to get up and invade Iberia because doing so serves no tactical aims that I can think of and the Confederation can handle it on their own. Even if they ask for help, I doubt Brazil would send anything more than equipment over the border, because there's not nearly enough gain to justify an invasion and its not like they will lose 100 Prestige from not honouring a declaration of war.

To conclude: not victoria, DPs are a statement of intent and unenforceable, you make one for circumstances when the foreign policy of both nations aligns and thats when they get called up and become useful. The Confederation and Corsica aren't going to jump into an Aztec War because they don't need to and its not what the DP is for and everybody, including the signatories, knows that.

And now, for your reading pleasure, I present The Emperor’s Reach:

Yuri Obolensky, third in line for the Imperial Throne, spent years painstakingly accumulating information for various missions around the globe, all organzied by the Emperor’s Hand. By combing through military and Imperial records, interviewing the participants (including General Reznov himself) and using his position as a member of the Imperial family to find out the whole truth, he is able to give us a never before seen look into one of the most feared organizations on the planet and just how powerful they are. For the first time ever, the common man is able to see just how powerful the Emperors of our great nation are and just how vulnerable our enemies can be, even abroad.
- Dr. Radomir Vasilyev, Professor of Military History, University of Kiev, 1973

OPERATION Oncoming Storm was the largest military action in history. Russian troops and their Imperial allies struck nearly simultaneously across three continents, sending tens of millions of troops against the British and their allies in Scandinavia, Germany, Guangxi, Persia and Turkey. But that is not the full story of how the Second World War started. Over a decade before the attack on Dumyat, Russian forces were working to secure victory before the first shot was even fired. The tip of the Russian spear was (and remains to this day) the Emperor’s Hand. These elite troops spend their lives training to serve the Emperor and eliminate his enemies, wherever they may hide. In the years leading up to World War Two, they and other proud Russian patriots struck across the globe, bringing death to those who would hinder Imperial glory. Herein lie their stories.

OPERATION Riposte-Madagascar 1925-1928
In Russia, the British inciting and funding rebellions throughout the Imperial Scandinavian holdings in the Kongo in 1924-1925 marks the start of the final Anglo-Russian War. This was the first “open” attack by the British against a Russian ally since the end of the Great War. It forced the Imperial government to reshape their world view, as the British-back uprisings in Abyssinia and Adjuuramark now meant that war with the United Kingdom was now inevitable. But here was an enemy far removed from Russia, with a large and powerful fleet. How could they be defeated?

Surprisingly enough, it was the British who gave the Emperor the idea. While operating in Abyssinia, the Emperor’s Hand had found that the British had invested very little into funding the various rebellions, but had managed to tie up numerous Russian resources. It was determined that such operations could prove to be very useful against the British themselves. Before it was implemented on a global scale, a testing ground would be needed, and nearby Madagascar proved to be the perfect location. In 1926, the Emperor ordered that roughly [5 EP] worth of weapons and ammunition be given to the rebels on the island. As there existed no contacts, most of the weapons were simply left on the beaches for the locals to find and use. When the Suez Canal was closed to all Russian and Roman shipping and the fleets off of Tadjoura were forced to go completely around Africa to get back home, even more excess equipment was jettisoned to Madagascar, ostensibly to lighten the ships' loads for the long journey home. This including laying sea mines through several British patrol paths, resulting in the sinking of two British ships.

Though the rebels were eventually crushed, OPERATION Riposte was deemed a success. This was due to investment; at the height of the rebellion (1926-1928), the Russian government with roughly [10-20 EP] had managed to tie down over [200 EP] of British troops, planes and ships. And all this was to maintain hold of a colony that was producing a mere [2 EP] a year! Imperial approval was given to implement the strategy and it proved to be highly effective. For the next decade, the United Kingdom would be forced to invest time, troops and money to put down rebellions, support allies and try to blunt Russian interests across the globe, always spending more than Russia had. A prime example of this strategy was in the Reclamation War. Jacksonia received more foreign aid in 1939 (mainly from Great Britain and their allies) than Russia had invested in the United States total, up to that point. Despite this, the UPRA was destroyed, Florida was pushed back and Jacksonia would soon have to retreat back across the Rockies. Russia had forced the British to invest heavily in the Proletarists, Jacksonians and Floridians and yet those forces still lost.

The Fireworks Massacre- Xinjing 1930
With the Russian government now set on war with the British, steps were taken to strike at the most valuable of Britain’s colonies: Guangxi. With the nationalist Red Army operating throughout the three Chinas, a bounty program was implemented to tie down British assets throughout the region. Money from Russia (funneled through the Unified Realm) would be paid for the killing of British and Guangxi government officials, military members, and, most importantly, the British backed King of Guangxi. When the Guangxi government announced that they would be holding a massive celebration in 1930, it proved to be the perfect time to strike a crippling blow to the enemy.

Members of the Emperor’s Hand were dispatched to liaison with Red Army contacts in China and plan the best way to attack. Great care was taken to ensure who knew of direct Russian involvement, for purposes of deniability. A number of different ideas were suggested and then discarded: poisoning the food, an all-out assault by infantry units, an aerial bombing. It was at this point that one of the Russian advisors, Captain Nikolay Volkov, suggested an artillery strike. The targets would be at a known location that the attackers could easily scout out before hand and have zeroed in precisely. When it was determined that smuggling artillery into the Guangxi capital would be impossible, the plan was adapted for mortars to be used. In order to belay suspicion from falling upon Russia, the Emperor’s younger cousin Anton was selected to attend the event. Being of simple mind, Anton held no actual role in the Imperial government and his death would not hinder the running of the Empire while giving Russia the perception of innocence.

The Emperor’s Hand trained Chinese operatives in the use of mortars deep in China. These operatives then trained members of the Red Army who would perform the attack itself. This created a buffer between Russia and the Red Army, making it nearly impossible to tie the event directly to the Empire. Several members went so far as to travel to Xinjing to spot out attack locations that were later relayed to the Red Army, but beside that there was no direct contact between Russia and the attackers. The attack itself was a resounding success. Not only was the King of Guangxi killed, but the British monarch was killed as well. Such a brazen assassination meant that Britain was forced to respond and they became embroiled in a war where they gained nothing and lost much. In the aftermath of the attack, Russia refused British overtures to join them in attacking the Unified Realm and the Red Army, stating that such a war would not bring back the British King or the Emperor’s cousin. Yet, the British went ahead anyway, declaring war on the Red Army and the Unified Realm. For the next nine years, the United Kingdom was embroiled in a war half way around the world, where they poured in troops, equipment and money and in the end had nothing to show for it. The Red Army was defeated, but the Unified Realm remained, Guangxi’s infrastructure was wrecked and they had suffered horrendous casualties. Throughout the course of the war, the German and British air groups sent to help their efforts were often nearly destroyed, both on the ground and in the air. This was not only expensive in terms of money and planes, but in pilots, as the air groups operating in the theaters often consisted as almost the entire air forces of the two nations. So, in the end, the British and Germans expended money, equipment and men and gained nothing, while Russia was able to evaluate how their equipment (including the T-28 and S-100) matched up with the enemies and ensure that the British and Germans were sufficiently distracted so that they were unable to oppose or respond to Russia’s military build-up. It is telling that the British possessed proof (albeit it circumstantial) that Russia had facilitated the war and were not only able to punish the Empire, but failed entirely to prepare themselves for the war that was clearly coming.

OPERATION Nightshade- Burgundy 1934
In the early to mid 1930s, when Russia began to prepare for the Second World War in earnest, it was determined that selling off the previous generation of tanks and plans would be an efficient way to not only get rid of older weapons and upgrade the Russian military, but also build allies and force the enemies of the Emperor to become further involved in pointless conflict. Therefore, in 1933, diplomats were sent to Burgundy to facilitate the sale of T-20 tanks and H-1921 Close Air Support planes to the new regime of Alexander Hollande. The Russian representative, Baron Zinoviy Krupin, described the French leader thus:

[An] excitable little man. He was most agreeable to your [Emperor Mikhail’s] terms of sale for our older tanks and planes. As you ordered, I made a point of implying that Russia would support any efforts taken by Burgundy to reclaim the rest of the Confederation. This made the President [sic] most agitated with excitement, causing him to wave his hands about and start to froth slightly around the mouth. While he will surely serve the Emperor’s purpose, there is clearly madness within his eyes.

It had been hoped that Burgundy would take its “new” equipment and invade one or more of its neighbors, forcing the Germans to intervene. This would tie down one of Russia’s enemies and potentially force them to crush any and all pro-reunification factions in France, which (it was hoped) would sway more of those factions to siding with Russia. Despite much saber rattling by Burgundy and hand wringing by its neighbors, nothing came of the sale and it seemed that peace would reign. It was at this point that General Dmitri Reznov, the head of the Emperor’s Hand, made a suggestion: if Burgundy would not attack on their own, perhaps they could be forced? Russia had cultivated a number of contacts and so called “sleeper agents” throughout Germany after the end of the Great War. Some were Prussian assets whose families were being held in Siberia, with a promise of reuniting if certain tasks were accomplished, some were simple people who enjoyed the Emperor’s money, and some were German children indoctrinated in Russia and sent back “home” to await further contact. One of the latter was a young man named Hans Wirner who lived in Frankfurt. In 1934, he was given an order by his Russian handlers “Kill Alexander Hollande, flee to the German embassy, admit to your crime and demand protection.”

The plan was to create an international crisis that would spark a war that would drag in most of Western Europe and keep more enemy assets tied down in a pointless conflict. However, it succeeded too well. Using a high power rifle, Wirner perched upon the roof of a small library in Paris, across the square from where Hollande was giving a speech on a large raised platform. After shooting Hollande in the chest, Wirner fled down a fire escape to his waiting car and made his way towards the German embassy. Unfortunately, the law enforcement officers chose to pursue supposed leads linking the attack to local proletarists and other dissidents that lived nearby and did not properly establish a check point and Wirner managed to get to the embassy unmolested. There, as ordered, he confessed to his crime. Once more, unexpected actions foiled the ultimate plan. The German ambassador, rather than attempting to hide Wirner in the embassy, instead smuggled him back into Germany, where he was awarded a Medal for Heroism for his action and returned home and told to keep quiet. Though Burgundy would go to war, it was not against Germany and their poorly thought out attack plan and out dated equipment and army doctrine meant that they were doomed from the start. If anything, the quick war worked against Russian interests, removing one of the last pro-Russian regimes from the former Confederation and paving the way for unification under the liberal leadership of Occiantia.

OPERATION Trident- London, Berlin, Stockholm 1936
As the time grew closer for OPERATION Oncoming Storm to begin, it was determined that something must be done about the known British and German agents who had infiltrated Russia. Their capture and removal would leave a gaping hole in the enemy’s intelligence network and greatly reduce the likelihood of them learning of the ongoing preparations for OPERATION Oncoming Storm. The Emperor’s Hand then began the largest spy hunt in history, carefully monitoring known enemy agents (some of whom had been under observation for years, including several midlevel members of the Diplomatic Corps) to see who the interacted with. This allowed them to paint an extremely accurate picture of enemy infiltration. As Imperial agents prepared to round up these dangerous individuals, Russian assets in Germany reported that not only did there seemed to be no indication in Munich that the Germans knew what was about to happen, but they were woefully unprepared for any war. Cultivating these and other reports, it was determined that a strike against the “secret” headquarters would cripple the entire German Intelligence network. Operatives in Stockholm and London reported similar standings; the buildings were unguarded, “hidden’ in plain sight and extremely vulnerable to attack. Further investigation revealed that enemy agents abroad were also easily susceptible to attack. And so, what had started as a simple series of arrests evolved into the greatest intelligence strike in history: OPERATION Trident.

Trident had three main objectives: eliminate enemy contacts in Russia and blind them to the coming war, destroy known enemy assets abroad to further hamstring their intelligence gathering and destroy their bases of operation at home. This would mean that as Russia and its allies were entering the final stages of preparation for the war, the enemy would have to start all over again and essentially be blind and deaf. And so it was that as Russian Secret Police were moving to arrest traitors at home, members of the Emperor’s Hand were striking in Germany, Scandinavia, the United Kingdom, the United States, India and throughout Western Europe. Most of the attacks abroad were small and not newsworthy, concealing the killing of single enemy spies or assets as robberies, car accidents and drug overdose to name a few. In the United States, members of the Emperor’s Hand were deployed with the recently arrived Russian Expeditionary Force, killing British spies in the States and Scandinavian contacts within the UPRA. In India, teams were dispatched to solidify Federalist holdings by eliminating enemy businessmen and advisors who had been aiding the Regionalist rebels. Every known or suspected contact in Europe was killed. Had the enemy intelligence networks been operational, they would have seen sure signs of attack and known that war was soon. However, they had their own problems to deal with.

The three main attacks on the enemy intelligence headquarters were spectacular. In Scandinavia, known nationalists and Imperial sympathizers smuggled in members of the Emperor’s Hand. Infiltrating Stockholm’s sewer system, a large collection of bombs were set up directly under the main buildings of the National Intelligence Commission’s complex. Upon detonation, the bombs caused the tunnels underneath the buildings to collapse, bringing the Scandinavian Intelligence network with them. The Russian agents were smuggled out via Denmark while a radical Norwegian separatist group was set up as the fall guy. In London, Russian and Imperial agents posing as tourists were able to scope out the target. Here, an added layer of subterfuge was added. Using a captured British agent in Russia, they sent a message stating that a package with sensitive information would soon be arriving. And so it was that the Emperor’s Hand personally delivered the bomb that gutted the British Special Intelligence Service to them. Little is known the Russian contact in Munich. There had been contact with the man, a crazed anarchist, for some time, with very little coming of it. It was determined that he should take the blame for the fire-bombing of the German intelligence headquarters. This was accomplished by setting a bomb next to the main gas storage for the building’s heating system. While attempting to fake the man’s death shortly thereafter, his girlfriend unexpectedly visited and also had to be eliminated. In the end, the result was the same. The enemy was blinded across the board and Oncoming Storm came as a near total surprise.

OOC:
Taking Sides:
Circuit once commented that Proletarism was not a major concern in the UK but Russia was and that shaped much of their foreign policy. Keeping that in mind, I did my best to force my enemies to support either lost causes or ones that would tarnish their global image by supporting, such as the Italian rebels. If Civil War erupted in Italy, since I was supporting the monarchy, by necessity the British and Germans would have to join Scandinavia in supporting the Proletarist rebels. This would anger the Pope (who was also having problems with the same rebels) and play into the propaganda I had been spreading that the British and Germans were doing exactly that. Since they were backing Scandinavia (who was funding, training and/or instigating Proletarist movements in the Russian sphere), I could state that the British and Germans were also doing so. In order to strike back at me once the war started, chances were that they would then actually start funding these groups, validating all my arguments in an instant.

Even better were situations where I didn’t lose no matter who won, such as the Reclamation War and Indian Civil War. By supporting the US and Federalist Indians, I became friendly with nations that had become pariahs either by their own actions or the actions of their governments. For a few hundred EP each, I gained a nation that was publically indebted to Russia. This forced the Proles, Brits and Germans to respond in kind and start supporting their opposition. If the side I’m supporting wins, I gain a new ally who (by treaty obligation) would then come to my aid against the British. If they lost on the other hand, I once more get to test my equipment against what the enemy has to offer, and a weaker, more regionally centered government takes over in both nations. This would make it difficult for them to them fight me in the future for sustained periods of time (lest their member states start rebelling at home). In the US, it would have resulted in new British back Proletarist nations being established, which would further solidify the British as Proletarist sympathizers and backs and Russia as the champion of combatting Proletarism.

Catalonia:
The situation in Catalonia further exemplifies my overall plans of creating situations where Russia would benefit and my enemies would lose, no matter what the outcome. Catalonia was (and is still considered) to be Spanish territory and its inclusion in an Occitanian led Confederation would result in only one thing: war. If war was not to occur naturally, I would have forced it similarly to how I precipitated it in Burgundy, this time using bombings, random shootings along the border and the tried and true method of promising support to both sides (as I did the Uruguayan Crisis). Spain, as a recently resurgent power with powerful backing, was fast approaching the time when they could reclaim all the territory that Germany had broken off from them at the end of the Rhine-Rhone War, even if it meant war with their neighbors. Best of all, Russia had agreements with all parties involved: there was the agreement with Spain and Brazil to close off the Mediterranean and cut shipments of contraband to the British in exchange for trade concessions and the secret negotiations with the Confederations resulting in their neutrality so long as Imperial troops didn’t cross the Rhine and their allegiance if I gave them the German Burundian holdings. War between them would have led to a very awkward situation for Brazil, one I meant to capitalize on to the fullest extent.

Were Brazil to back their Spanish allies (via the Lisbon Pact), the Confederation would then be bereft of allies and in desperate need of help. This would only further cement the propaganda that I had been spreading that Brazil was untrustworthy and should be kept out of Europe. It would also invalidate the recent treaties Brazil had signed, showing them to be fickle allies. The Confederation would then have three options: First, go it alone and try to hold back the Spanish and Brazilians by themselves (with the marginal aid of the other breakaway Spanish states) and inevitably be overrun. Second, they could turn to the British for help, who would already be stretched to the breaking point, but happy to deny me access to the English Channel, and then use my issue of the present (the British Home Fleet) to fight my problem of the future (the Brazilian fleet). No matter who wins, they are irrevocably antagonized towards each other and they sink ships today that I won’t have to sink tomorrow. The third option available to the Confederation (and most appealing) is to seek my help. By that point, I would be close to, if not on the Rhine River, the German military would be crushed and their country overrun. It would be easy for my battle hardened troops to then head south to help crush the green Spanish and Brazilian forces, securing Western Europe for me, along with a launch pad for my invasion of Britain. It would also mean that Sardinia and Corsica would either be unaligned (and thus easy prey for Italy) or on my side and working for the people who would eventually see them added to the Italian Empire.

If, on the other hand, Brazil abandons the Lisbon Pact for their new allies in the Confederation, I have even more fun. Now, Brazil is throwing one of their older allies to the wolves in favor of their new friends, which I can then use to call into question every deal they’ve ever made. The whole détente in South America is now in question (if the Brazilians will betray an actual ally like Spain, what hope does Peru have of getting fair treatment from them?) and Brazil is vilified abroad and does most of my PR work for me in smearing themselves. Spain, having just screwed over the British by closing Gibraltar, has even less options than the Confederation and has no choice but to seek Russian aid. The Brazilian betrayal also means that Portugal (the largest free market supplier of arms in the world) will side with Spain and I get not one, but two new friends. I then get to invade the Confederation from at least two, possibly three sides (Germany, the Netherlands and through Italy), Italy in turn begins the attacks on the now isolated Corsica and Sardinia and I get to establish a new Holy Roman Empire in France and Germany (with Papal blessing of course to get yet another nation on my side). On the downside, the British and Brazilian (and probably Argentinian) fleets are now merged to oppose a landing in England. However, that will mean nothing in a land war in Europe, and with all of the Baltic and Mediterranean under Imperial control and all of Central Europe as a buffer, I can afford to spend several years cranking out subs, carriers and any other ship I might need and launch the largest naval pincer move ever to strike at England from all sides.

Last but not least is my favorite option, where Brazil decides to remain entirely neutral and does nothing. Now, they completely invalidate every agreement they’ve ever made, and severing once and for all any good will they had in Europe, leaving the various nations there without any hope of American intervention against me. It also means that Brazil would finally have honored one of his agreements, the secret pact made between Brazil, the United States and myself at the height of the Uruguayan Crisis, giving North America to the US, South America to Brazil and Europe to Russia. Then, I would get to sit back and pick who I wanted to win and back them, or let them fight it out until they were both exhausted of manpower and warfare and I could sweep in and crush them both.

Even if they don’t go to war right away and through their mutual alliances with Brazil entered the War against me, I would have gradually been able to separate them, using the existing tensions, much as I did with Florida and Jacksonia, focusing on one and sparing the other, breeding further resentment and hostility until one of them either bowed out, switched sides, or fell. Either way, I would have gotten what I wanted and more of my enemies would be dead.

Manpower:
And here is how I know I would eventually win this war. It wasn’t the years (both IC and RL) of preparations or the military build-up. It was manpower. Here are the posts I made in the Imperial Social Group:

“In Year One, Germany lost 307 Conscript Brigades, 108 Infantry Brigades, 2 M1916 VB Brigades, 13 CKC-LTP 22 Brigades, 5 Tonneau Victorieux Brigades, 2 Rörlig Skyddkanon Brigades, 7 Weyland Brigades, 53 Artillery Brigades, 2 Verband FTA1-2 Fighter Squadrons, 5 Determination-class Fighter Squadrons, 2 Staaff-1923 Fighter Squadrons, 1 Vy-24 Fighter Squadron, 12 IGL-28 Fighter Squadrons, 2 JC-7 Fighter Squadrons, 3 I-1923 Bomber Squadrons, 3 I-1923mII Bomber Squadrons, 3 Berlin-type Bomber Squadrons, 1 Colibri-type Helicopter Squadron, 5 Tridente-class Submarines, and 1 Akizuku-class Destroyer. This equates to 2760 EP and 537 Manpower. At that pace, if Germany attempts to replace his losses unit for unit, he will reach 0 Manpower in 4.28 years. The more likely scenario is that he's just gonna spam Conscripts (2 Brigades for 1 EP with his new doctrine) and have the Brits bring in Armor and Jets. To be honest, that is actually better for us. That would give him 902 Infantry Brigades, about equal to what I'm planning on sending in to the front. But while 900 Manpower is roughly 7% of my total manpower, it's almost 40% of Germany's manpower pool. Going all in for infantry every year will deplete his manpower pool in 3 years. At that point, the Brits can send whatever they want into Germany and it won't matter a bit because there will be no Germans left to oppose us. That strategy will help them slow us down in the short term and kill them in the long term. Or he can try to spend his EP to create a bunch of tanks and jets (which we will still outnumber on the front) and my infantry will overwhelm him. Either way, he either gives up men or land and we win regardless.

[Scandinavia] lost 53 Conscript Brigades, 71 Infantry Brigades, 7 Cavalry Brigades, 5 Equality-type Armored Brigades, 28 Artillery Brigades, 4 F.K.21-Type Fighter Squadrons, 17 Staaf-1923 Fighter Squadrons, 3 Vy-24 Fighter Squadrons, 6 Obetvinglig-1928 Fighter Squadrons, 10 Ursinne-type Fighter Squadrons 3 Lundeberg-class Submarines, and 4 Vigilant-class Destroyers for a total of 1715 EP and 205 Manpower. At that pace, they will run out of manpower in 3-4 years, about the same as Germany. [Britain] lost 21 Conscript Brigades, 28 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 4 Cataphract Armored Brigades, 10 Artillery Brigade, 2 P-27 Fighter Squadrons, 3 JC-7 Fighter Squadrons, 1 Rom33 CAS Squadron, 1 Tempest-type CAS Squadron, 1 SimIB-30 Bomber Squadron, 8 Praetorian-class Destroyers, 3 Shire-class Light Cruisers, 1 Kronos-class Battleship, and 1 Northumberland-class Carrier. This totaled 696 EP and 90 Manpower.” For perspective, at the end of 1940, Scandinavia had under 100 brigades total left in his military. On that front, I had over 800 brigades, with 119 Artillery Brigades. Overall the Allies lost 6386 EP and 1141 Manpower, along with a lot of territory.

On my side, I lost 361 Conscript Brigades, 376 Infantry Brigades, 27 Artillery Brigades, 2 Laelaps Armored Brigades, 1 T-20 Armored Brigade, 9 T-28 Armored Brigades, 2 Landcruisers (one of which was destroyed only when an enemy bomber crashed into it), 6 C-1293 Fighter Squadrons, 4 RM-24 Fighter Squadrons, 3 S-100 Fighter Squadron, 5 H-1921 CAS Squadrons, 4 CB-1924 Bomber Squadrons, 2 Nordenfelt-class Submarines, 1 Kraken-class Submarine, 3 Zygmunt-class Destroyers, 1 Genoa-class Destroyer, 1 Luther-class Light Cruiser, 1 Sicilia-class Light Cruiser, and 1 Shōkaku-class Carrier for 1579 EP and 807 Manpower. The Imperials overall lost 3572 EP and 1284 MP. The EP lost for both sides is also misleading, as many of the older tanks and planes that were destroyed were more expensive than their more modern counterparts. Even though we had lost more men than the enemy, we spent less EP doing so and had a much larger manpower pool to draw from, so we lost more in straight numbers but a much smaller percentage of our total manpower. Each year, our losses would continue to mount, but the enemy would still lose territory (stripping them of EP), their manpower would come closer and closer to zero and eventually, they would simply collapse and be overrun by the sheer weight of Russian bodies.

Technology:
The Technology Race was one that also helped me get a leg up. The designs I came out with were always the best in their class when they came out, forcing my enemies to come out with equivalent or better designs in response. This would sometimes take years, giving me an advantage. During the war, it would have siphoned away money from other…scientific endeavors some nations may or may not have been pursuing. Let’s take a look at tanks to illustrate. When it debuted, the T-20 was the best tank in the world, unrivaled by anything previously designed. It was larger, stronger and faster. In the beginning, there were no tanks in the world that could even damage it. It wasn’t until 1927 that there were tanks that could go head to head with the T-20 and hope to survive (the Lejon-Modell Stridpansar and the Mk2 Cataphract). Then, the next year, the T-28 is unveiled and the Stridpansar is now obsolete and the Mk2 outclassed. The Weyland comes out the next year and is able to stand up to the T-28, but not very well, as its gun is smaller and armor thinner. The Char Compagnon and CKC-LTP 34 are in a similar boat as the Weyland and Cataphract. They’re smaller and faster than the T-28 and can kill a T-28, but not in a head to head fight, only from the side. Even then, my allies and I are all creating sizable armored corps that easily outclass our enemies, so we will have not only better tanks, but a lot more of them. It isn’t until the Rovdjur-Modell Stridpansar comes out in 1937 (NINE years after the T-28) that a tank comes out that is better than mine. That means that each iteration of my armor had over half a decade of dominance before a better design is made. This would have been capped up by the T-43, which would have been similar to the Rovdjur, with 2-5 more points in each category, giving me another huge lead in the armor game. This would have complimented my war plans, as my smaller allies start running into manpower issues, they would instead focus on building tanks and planes and sending their extra EP to Russia for designs and emergency funds. So even if Vinland became involved, their tank would be outgunned and the remaining tanks in Europe would be relegated to Russian target practice. Hell, the T-20 could still go toe-to-toe with most of the main tanks in Europe despite being 20 years old!

Jets are another example of how technology worked into my plan. The Struya-100 was the best in the world for only two short years before it was outclassed by Brazilian, British and Argentinian designs. However, those new designs were only a few points better, not leaps and bounds ahead technologically. So an S-100 could, in the right circumstances, kill JF-36 or JAC-37, since those jets were only moderately fasters with a slightly higher operating ceiling. The main strength of the S-100 was that it was cheaper than its opponents, so that my allies and I could make up for its deficiencies by strength in numbers. If a S-100 will lose in a one on one fight, why not make it 3 on 1, or 5 on 1 instead and even the playing field? Worst come to worst, we could always do a quick upgrade to give it a better engine and then, after Europe fell but before we invaded England, we could design a new, top-of-the-line fighter to outmatch everything else.

Which brings us to navies. Before the start of the war, Britain had been forced to end its ambitious naval build up, due to exorbitant costs and growing obligations across the globe (thanks to my shadow war). Therefore, when the shooting started, the British were not the preeminent naval power anymore. The Italians had a strong navy, the Guardian Aircraft Carrier (a Russian design) was the best in the world, and the Imperials had something the Allies didn’t: a Heavy Cruiser. Prior to the Riga’s unveiling in 1934, there hadn’t been a new Heavy Cruiser since 1918! For the type of naval combat we would be facing, a heavy cruiser is not only helpful, but necessary. Heavy Cruisers are ideal for supporting amphibious landings like RL Normandy, Okinawa, Iwo Jima etc. While Destroyers and Light Cruisers are the main screening forces for a carrier fleet (to take out subs and enemy aircraft), Heavies are designed for ship to ship fighting. They were perfect for the contested Baltic, where any carrier would have been an easy target for enemy subs and bombers. With the guns and armor on it, a Riga could even take on and beat older Battleships and Battlecruisers, like the ones in the Scandinavian and German fleets. They could also lead commerce raiding, either alone or with destroyers and light cruisers to strike at enemy shipping (which Kongo was doing and we would do once the Baltic was secured). At the Battle of the Suez, it was British Praetorian Destroyers, not their airplanes, that sank the most Allied ships. A good Heavy Cruiser can be very helpful in killing ships like that from afar. They were fast enough to hunt down enemy merchants, but also be able to stand up to any enemy ships that may be protecting convoys. Without a Heavy Cruiser of their own, the Allies would either have to waste money designing their own, relay on older, outdated and more expensive battleships, or start building destroyers and light cruisers by the dozens to try and protect all their shipping. Either way, my smaller, faster fleets with Rigas as the flagships would have wreaked havoc on enemy shipping.

The Economic War:
This was going to be my favorite part of this war and we just barely scratched the surface of it. Even though we failed to capture the Suez Canal, the result was the same: Britain lost their main trade route and would have to ship everything either through the gauntlet of Kongo’s ships in the south Atlantic or the long way across the Pacific. This would mean that resources like rubber and oil from British colonies would take months to get to Britain and troops and weapons would likewise take months to get to fronts in Indochina, China, and Persia. The entrance of Kurdistan and the planned offensive into Mesopotamia, in conjunction with the Italian forces joining the Egyptians and Sudanese, would mean that the British and German forces in and around the Holy Land would be effectively cut off, despite having won territory the year before.

The best was what was in store for all the neutral nations in Europe. Over the years, I had held back from selling Russian oil abroad, while being one of the leading suppliers of food (namely grain) to Europe. With the seas contested and the Suez closed, the Allies would be desperate for oil, keeping most of their imports and limiting what was available on the open market. With America still at war, this would leave South America and Russia as the two main markets for oil and food. Given the distance, it would be easier and cheaper to get both from Russia. I would have augmented this by undercutting my competitions pricing. So nations that were neutral would quickly become dependent upon Russia for trade and be slowly drawn into my sphere. Those that resisted would be cut off economically and surrounded militarily. They would then be allowed to wither on the vine to serve as an example of what happens to those who defy Russian power.

If/when Japan joined me, the situation would become even direr for the Allies, completely severing any shipping between Europe and the colonies. Now, even less oil would be available. With weakened and isolated British colonies up for grabs, Japan would have been in a prime position to gain much for little effort, which I’m sure would have been able to entice their participation.

I've said it before and it's worth repeating: this was not some revenge fueled blitzkrieg or mad dash for power. This was almost two years of RL planning, carefully manipulating global economics and politics, backdoor deals, technological build up and it was all snatched away from me right when everything I'd been working towards was nearing fruition. If only...

The funny thing about TLJ's masterplan involving Brazil is that every single point was broken on contact with my counter scheming.

The funny thing about TLJ's masterplan involving Brazil is that every single point was broken on contact with my counter scheming.

I'm curious, what was your plan for when the Confederation and Spain went to war?

I'm curious, what was your plan for when the Confederation and Spain went to war?

That it wasn't going to happen to begin with.

EDIT: See, I knew you were manipulating things. Which is how I talked down almost every problem that came up. There is always a bigger fish to fry. :p

Its not a Mary Sue if it happened.

If we're sharing things, Denmark's neutrality was pretty garbage, but so was my private commitment to TLK and co. to join the war.

I hadn't been told properly that a war was actually starting, because TLJ was suspicious of my liberal government and thought I'd rat him out. Which wasn't a hugely invalid assumption, given that I've done exactly that in the past, but wasn't going to happen in this case. Either way, all I knew was that ten years prior TLJ said that there might be a war around 1940. It just so happened that that happened exactly. Ballin'.

Anyway, I was halfway through a military disarmament because I'd given up hope of any war happening ever and my oversized military was crippling me. So when TLJ came to me and started asking me to join the war, I pleaded for more time. Publically, I whinged about how I'd been left out and adopted a very public and whiny "screw 'em all." attitude. I swear to god I'm not normally that whiny, it was an act, I swear. :p

In reality, I was a little less comitted to the war than TLJ said. I wans't sure that my objectives (Skane, I wasn't that interested in Germany) were going to be met, so I figured I'd wait till the offensive in Scandinavia was bogged down and TLJ really needed a second front opened in Skane to join in. Simultaneously, I didn't know whether the Brazilians would enter, and didn't want to ask in case Lucky would twig onto my entry (because why would neutral Denmark care about what Brazil would do, and Lucky's not that stupid.) So, I plaid stalling. Wait a few years for the situation to get dire and see if the Brazilians were going to try something.

If we're summing up things, I think one of my biggest mistakes in this NES was as Spain. Dropping the alliance with the FBC for the Brandenburg-Austrians was a terrible idea, especially given that neither of them had anything to offer (and ultimately neither did the Italians or the Japanese). Initially, I had thought it was a very smart idea, and that I'd bet on the rising power of a united Germany over this decrepit FBC junk, but ultimately all I did is tick off my allies look like a threat. My attempts to sort of pretend that I wasn't totally against Spry and trying to unite Europe didn't work, especially when the push came to the shove, and it ended badly for me. Nice to know that my uselessness shaped history, I guess.

Luckymoose said:

Oh? Do tell. I like hearing about how smart everybody was. :)

I always wondered why Brazil wasn't taking a more proactive stance against the reunited States. A united America was always going to be a threat to Brazilian hegemony, in a lot of ways because there was nowhere else to go, and would have crapped all over the carefully built scales of power that made sucking up to Brazil necessary (which was pretty inspired and I have to give Luckymoose credit for that).

Top Bottom