Best team of 3 civs?

j_mie6

Deity
Hello,

Me and my 2 friends are soon going to lay a big multiplayer game against another team of 3 people (and 4 loose AI), on a large hemispheres map (that I edited so that the two bigger teams always spawn together, and the AI are distributed randomly)

We are quite competitive, so we have been thinking a lot about what civs we should each play to maximise our efficiency.

friend A likes doing science and religion and is (unless convinced enough) determined to play the Mayans. We think he should take freedom

friend B likes navy but is fine with what ever is needed. We think at the moment he should use England, for the navy and the extra spy. We think he should take autocracy.

I'm fine with anything, but my forté is economy and military. We were thinking Portugal, with late game order ideology.

My question is, how effective would this team be able to blend well together (civ wise)? and can anybody suggest any better teams (preferably with the Mayans, but it isn't completely necessary)?

Note that although we have no clue how the other team will form up, we suspect the Ottomans and possibly (very unlikely) the Venetians.

Thanks,
Jamie

This kind of games usually mean war from the very beginning. It is very important to settle strategic spots to block the other team. I find America very useful as a frontier civ in a 3v3. Also be careful the other team might have Hun's etc so be ready to defend. Persia is nice for early defence. Maya can stay back and develop.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Can't go wrong with the science kings Korea or Babylon. However those both require DLC that not everyone has. Poland is always a great pick and those bonus SPs lets you dip into honor or finish tradition faster.

remember that this is a hemispheres game, therefore rushing civs are no real use, the enemy aren't gonna be able to get to us that early

Babylon - Tradition, Science Beast

Russia - extra iron for frigates

England - ships of the line

GG

P.S.
This game shoudn't last that long that you will be able to pick Ideology :D

Hmm ... and I wonder if a team is better off with a single ideology, or at most two. (I haven't considered this issue before now.)

Exerting ideological pressure on each other could be a bad thing.

You could also designate one team member to beeline an ideology and get two free tenets. I doubt your team could be first for all three ideologies, but you could take the best one for your team, then the second team member to adopt would still get a free tenet.

England seems like a very solid choice for this kind of map/setup, Maya are a powerhouse so you can't really go wrong with them. Portugal is good as an economic booster to everyone, but it's pretty heavily reliant on where you spawn (if you spawn in the middle, great, otherwise not as much).

Can you have DoFs in multiplayer ? Sweden seems pretty strong if you can. UUs aren't great on Hemispheres though.

I've never played multi so I don't know if there is special interaction.

What would jump to my mind would be:

. If planning seawarfare
- ottoman
- england
- denmark
- russia (moar frigates)

.If not
- Morroco (more gold to everyone I think?)
- Arabia (give all extra lux to everyone, possibility of nice happiness boost for the whole team. Also, double oil late is VERY good in a war scenario)

Dark horse:
A bit silly, but Egypt so you can try to get all the good wonders and maybe make them ragequit :lol:

Also, isn't it a good option to pick a tourism powerhouse civ? It seems easy to turtle and as soon as pressure occurs, you can crush their happiness and prepare an invasion! Also city flipping.

Btw, I don't understand why you would put 3 random AI. Even on diety, I doubt they will do anything spectacular this game expect feeding workers and cities early :p

I'd go with Poland, because Poland is op. But I play on Prince/King and I'm pretty new to this game. Still, Poland seems strong in all kinds, so it would be kind of "safe pick" - you don't risk much, when you pick them and also it's hard to fail with them. :)

Here are my thoughts:

Player 1 - Yeah, sounds like the Maya would be a good choice for him. Have him found the only religion (everyone else should settle any Great Prophets they get) and spread it to the other players. However, as the Maya, he should build wide and take Order for his ideology.

Player 2 - Either the English or the Russians (better Frigates or more Frigates?) Autocracy would probably work well as long as you can keep alive against the other team long enough to do an all-out game-winning attack at the end once he takes the Clausewitz's Legacy tenet.

Player 3 - Try the Dutch, perhaps? You'll have Sea Beggars which will mesh nicely with the Ships of the Line/Frigates Player 2 will have while your UA means you can help keep Player 1's happiness up without sacrificing yours. Either Freedom or Order would work for your ideology.

thanks for the ideas!

If anybody is in doubt, in multiplayer you can form DOF and any trade routes between members of the same team are domestic (so not gold, only hammers and food).

I am interested in both the dutch and Arabia, but perhaps with Arabia it would be player for player 2 to take Germany or another oil guzzler, to make full use of it... the same really applies for Russia, except they can fuel England and tanks.

Not sure how you are going play, but China gives you a great UU for early/mid rushes, and lots of GGs. Also papermaker gives exta money early - I assume you will be gifting things to your teammates.

oh yeah, didnt notice the map type, still optics rush might be possible, anyway otherwise i like polynesia and babylon

Generally speaking, there are two options for putting together a team:
1) Balance - make sure that every aspect of the game is covered. One might specialize in tech, another in tourism, a third in military for example. Or tech/naval/land.
2) Specialization - pick a single aspect of the game and attempt to dominate it. Netherlands/England/Ottomans to dominate the sea; Babylon/Maya/Korea for tech

Tech advantages are somewhat diluted in a team game. A team of three shares tech, but the cost for each tech is tripled, so flat +science bonuses are less effective.

Given that it's a Hemisphere's map, it sounds like you're looking at a Frigate war. I'd go with England/Netherlands for the UUs, and the third slot has some play. Portugal is a possibility to make cash to buy ships, or Russia for additional Iron. I pointed out that Korea/Babylons tech advantage isn't as dominant, but it's still more than other civs get.

An alternate plan is to stay off the coast - not found any port cities - and turtle up. I don't recommend it, but it will be very funny for your opponents to show up with their fleet of Frigates and Privateers, and be completely unable to take any cities. Passing up naval trade routes is painful, so I think you'll be in a Frigate war whether you want to or not.

Sounds like your friends already have their choices picked (naval one is pretty much limited to Ottomans, England or the Dutch). If you want to be their military arm on land you could go with Ethiopia. Not normally a super militaristic choice but with teams you could easily get away with having very few cities the whole game because you can gift them to your friends. You'd basically have a permanent 20% combat bonus. Your team mates could gift you units as you need them.

If a Dutch player is on your team, can he put polders in your territory?

if i read you opening description correctly, wouldn't Polynesia let you immediately cross oceans to find opponents? i'd think the earliest cap scouting would let you strategize better for victory. after that the most versatile civs would be best if you dont know who they are playing as. Maya, Portugal, Shoshone, Babylon, Arabia, China, etc. are all very versatile.

we have adjusted our ideas and have a couple of strategies build from your suggestions

the first is to keep Maya and England, and use the Dutch instead of Portugal. Get the lighthouse and wage full frigate-privateer war.

The second is to combine the full power of a Hun rush the only way you can with hemispheres; with Polynesia, this way the Huns produce those battering rams, (and horse archers) and Polynesia sends them over the pond to take out the enemies. The third civ would be another early game powerhouse, like Rome or perhaps Assyria

But keep them coming :D

Top Bottom