The Russian Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kochman

Deity
Is it just me, or have certain posters here from certain former communist countries gone completely off the rails?

Example, I was accused of supporting "destroying countries, killing millions, trashing human lives and promulgation of anti-human ideology"... of course, I asked for the support of this claim, and it will not be coming because it doesn't exist.

The denial of murder and stealing land being wrong... which is then, almost without fail, countered by USA whataboutisms, as though that makes Russia's naked aggression ok...

It's getting to the point where threads are turning into vomit piles and making this place really unattractive. It's to the point where we are witnessing open support of murder.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Moderator Action: If you don't like something someone else has posted, then you should report the post in question, rather than starting a thread in which you suggest they have gone 'completely off the rails', along with a number of other posters of that nationality, such that there is a 'problem' with that nationality. The suggestions that posters of a particular nationality are turning threads into piles of vomit and are openly supporting murder are also not acceptable. Banned for a week.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

The nationalism is palpable. Do what I do and just ignore those threads.

Certainly people have always been off the rails from some point of view or another. It's what makes OT so fluffy, diverse and lovable. You should know this by now seeing as you have over 10k posts.

I think you actually may have USA problem then...

Certainly people have always been off the rails from some point of view or another. It's what makes OT so fluffy, diverse and lovable. You should know this by now seeing as you have over 10k posts.
I've never seen people actually approve of murder... even in the Israel threads, the most ardent supporters of either side generally are not ok with the death.

This blind nationalism, that seems to have 100% backing on this board from Russians, is scary.

I've never seen people actually approve of murder... even in the Israel threads, the most ardent supporters of either side generally are not ok with the death.

This blind nationalism, that seems to have 100% backing on this board from Russians, is scary.

I seem to remember a long list of crazies, who were banned or simply went away at some point. Nationalism is just the particular flavour of this year.

I hope Putin sticks around because based on the hyper-nationalism I fear what could replace him if he went down.

That's an interesting idea, you are suggesting he is containing it?

Maybe subtlety just isn't a Russian thing? I'm hoping to be rapidly proved wrong on that.

I've never seen people approve of murder. I've seen plenty of people call things murder that aren't, and then rail against people who don't agree.

Plenty of people in the Israel thread accuse Israel of war crimes, and by their view lots of people are approving of war crimes.

Plenty of people in the Ukraine thread accuse the first rebellion of being murderous cutthroats, and others accuse the current rebels of being murderers. So in that thread literally everyone is approving of someone that someone else thinks is a murderer. There are other threads that are similar to that.

You're missing the point. Even the supporters of Israel do not condone the killing, and they certainly don't blatantly lie to make it seem ok.

You're missing the point. Even the supporters of Israel do not condone the killing, and they certainly don't blatantly lie to make it seem ok.

Obviously we read the Israel thread with somewhat different points of view.

I'm a supporter of Russia in the recent Ukraine conflict. Did I appear as someone who has blatantly lied?

Well, aside from the fact that you're supporting fascism, I don't know if you've been lying or are just a fascist.

I haven't really seen your posts on the topic.

Well I wouldn't go as far as to say that I support Russia as the country doesn't need it nor care about it, but I think that in the end, Russia can take better care of Crimea than Ukraine can, and that Ukraine would have lost less face and possibly gained something, if it accepted the results as valid because Crimea was quite a drain on Ukraine's economy. And as for fascism- Putin will eventually croak and what he is doing isn't really any worse than what the US or any other European country had done during the Cold War or the Age of Imperialism. This might actually be more benign. If you are talking about the stifling of democracy- again, not really a new thing. Eventually democracy will come back, after Russia's middle class reaches a certain level.

Well I wouldn't go as far as to say that I support Russia as the country doesn't need it nor care about it, but I think that in the end, Russia can take better care of Crimea than Ukraine can, and that Ukraine would have lost less face and possibly gained something, if it accepted the results as valid because Crimea was quite a drain on Ukraine's economy. And as for fascism- Putin will eventually croak and what he is doing isn't really any worse than what the US or any other European country had done during the Cold War or the Age of Imperialism. This might actually be more benign. If you are talking about the stifling of democracy- again, not really a new thing. Eventually democracy will come back, after Russia's middle class reaches a certain level.
That may be a correct statement.

As for whatabouting the past, it is worse because we know that was wrong.

Russia has had, in its history, very little democracy. I wouldn't be so sure that it will be back anytime soon.

Russia has had, in its history, very little democracy. I wouldn't be so sure that it will be back anytime soon.

You are forgetting about Novgorod Republic :p

What if Russians themselves do not want democracy? Or they do, but Russian style. Like democratically electing Putin until he dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom