"Appeal" values from screenshots

chazzycat

Deity
Someone on reddit compiled screenshots of all the tooltips from Quill's video here: https://imgur.com/a/hdms1

It looks like we can figure out all the "appeal" values.

My best guess is:
+1 for each neighboring forest or mountain hex
+1 for each neighboring coast hex (does not include open ocean)
+1 for each neighboring farm
+2 for each neighboring natural wonder
+1 for having a river

I'm sure someone will show me how I'm wrong...and the values could change before release anyways. Still fun to over-analyze though :)

Quill18 speculated that it probably relates to tourism, which wasn't something covered in the 60 turns of gameplay this press cycle.

So if it's tourism... +1 from farms and +1 from coasts? I've never thought of farms on the same tourist scale as beaches. :)

Actually, I'm thinking that "appeal" is just the new name for AI Envy of each of your cities with farms included in the mix.

Rather than being +1 for farms, I'm thinking it's +1 for unimproved tiles. Could be a way to make national parks a thing again!

Might be related to city happiness as well as tourism.

Yeah, I got the impression from the articles that Appeal is serving as a local happiness barrier. As Shirk says in the gamercrate article:

"With local happiness, the only thing stopping you is finding the right spot to put the next city. You can put a city in a desert to grab iron, and know it won't grow much."

I'm assuming that means "appeal" rather than just happiness buildings.

So if it's tourism... +1 from farms and +1 from coasts? I've never thought of farms on the same tourist scale as beaches. :)
well keep in mind these are just guesses of mine, but the farms having +1 was the only way to explain some of them.

Rather than being +1 for farms, I'm thinking it's +1 for unimproved tiles. Could be a way to make national parks a thing again!
I doubt this, just because the tea hex is surrounded by unimproved land and only has 2 appeal, but I do like the idea.

I doubt this, just because the tea hex is surrounded by unimproved land and only has 2 appeal, but I do like the idea.

Ah, I didn't realize there were actual numeric values, I had just noticed the adjectives. So yeah, looks like I'm wrong there.

The actual numbers will change a lot in the next 5 months, and probably after release too.

Especially when they are spreading manure in the Spring. :cringe:

If this is related to tourism I really really hope they revamped tourism adding some utility to it. Tile appeal sounds awesome to me, but if it just adds points to win the game, what a waste.

If this is related to tourism I really really hope they revamped tourism adding some utility to it. Tile appeal sounds awesome to me, but if it just adds points to win the game, what a waste.

I agree. The connection of Tourism with one type of victory is fine, but it should have some effect, or even multiple effects, throughout the game.

One pretty reasonable choice would be for Tourism to be connected to income/economy of the civilization.

Yeah, I got the impression from the articles that Appeal is serving as a local happiness barrier. As Shirk says in the gamercrate article:

"With local happiness, the only thing stopping you is finding the right spot to put the next city. You can put a city in a desert to grab iron, and know it won't grow much."

This makes much more sense to me. As far as I could see (I haven't watched every gameplay vid/read every article yet) there has been no mention of how happiness works yet. an appeal rating for every single tile in your empire would surely be too fine-grain for something like AI envy or tourism (which I've so far got the impression is still tied to a great works system), but would make sense for positioning of districts and improvements to affect a local happiness mechanic.

I would love if Appeal relates to Tourism and "local happiness".

It ould be funny it it was iit also lead to city flipping via culture/tourism.

"Pittsburgh stinks. All we have is walls and iron mines. Lets join Egypt. They have 3 beaches."

I would love if Appeal relates to Tourism and "local happiness".

It ould be funny it it was iit also lead to city flipping via culture/tourism.

"Pittsburgh stinks. All we have is walls and iron mines. Lets join Egypt. They have 3 beaches."

I just had a thought... what if instead (or in addition to) city flipping, there was a migration mechanic of some sort? Related to Tourism and happiness, to distance between cities, and possibly to religion (e.g. people of a certain religion would move to a city with a majority population in that religion; or conversely, people migrating and mixing between cities, leading to religions spreading)?

With science not being the end-all, be-all of progress (and culture having its own tree), maybe such a mechanic would make food cease to be the sole determiner of empire population.

Yes, it looks like "appeal" is a new factor that influences local happiness. Basically, the higher the appeal number the higher the local happiness, hence higher city growth. This makes sense. People tend to like to live in areas that are pleasant and nice. And as Shirk said in your quote, appeal serves to limit the player from spamming useless cities. You might settle a city in the desert to get some iron but it will be a small mining town since no one really wants to live there. On the other hand, a city that is founded by the beach can grow into a large metropolis since the area is more appealing.

Top Bottom