How involved are you in politics?

How involved are you in politics?

• Total voters

CivCube

Spicy.
Just a straight-up poll.

In hindsight, I should have included an option for if one doesn't live in a democracy. My bad. Much obliged if a mod can add that.

abradley said:
Do you mean interested or working in?

Actual engagement in the process.

My biggest involvement with politics besides voting is posting at CFC.

The poll might give somewhat misleading results across different countries -voting in all elections is compulsory in Australia, so isn't a great indicator of strong involvement in or awareness of politics.

I'm interested in politics and voted in the UK referendum last week and voted in the Australian election today

bring on the locale council elections :woohoo:

my involvement mainly comes from my Union membership and community groups I belong too

I'm missing the option: "I'm not involved in politics."

The poll might give somewhat misleading results across different countries -voting in all elections is compulsory in Australia, so isn't a great indicator of strong involvement in or awareness of politics.

Really? So do non-voters get a fine in Australia? I thought Belgium was the last to abolish the obligation to vote. The fact that voting is obligatory doesn't actually mean that everyone obliged to vote actually does so. E.g. every citizen is obliged to know the laws of the country he/she lives in; that, of course doesn't mean they actually do know all those laws. It's a legal fiction.

Really? So do non-voters get a fine in Australia?

Yes. You get fined $20 if you don't vote and don't have a valid excuse (e.g. you were unable to access a polling place). Though from an enforcement perspective I believe they determine whether you've voted or not by seeing if your name has been marked off the electoral roll, which means you can effectively escape this fine by not enrolling to vote. However, enrolling to vote is also compulsory.

Voting turnout, as a result, is typically about 90-95%.

Don't think we have referendums in Germany (besides 1 specific case, which I'm not anymore allowed to vote in), Netherlands, or even on European level (or do we? Not that I'm aware of).

I try to vote in all elections, but I missed the last European elections, because I wasn't aware that I need to register again for it (had done that for the German elections and thought it wasn't necessary anymore).

I vote in every elections and I am quite interested in politics.

I don't see any poll options that involve being involved in politics outside of voting/getting other people to vote

Really? So do non-voters get a fine in Australia? I thought Belgium was the last to abolish the obligation to vote. The fact that voting is obligatory doesn't actually mean that everyone obliged to vote actually does so. E.g. every citizen is obliged to know the laws of the country he/she lives in; that, of course doesn't mean they actually do know all those laws. It's a legal fiction.

Voting is also compulsory in Brazil

I vote in municipal, provincial, and federal elections, and whatever plebiscites or referendums come along. I even took advantage of the open invitation the federal Liberals extended to everyone to vote in their last leadership race, whether they were a party member or not.

I've sent letters, signed petitions, participated in rallies and protest marches, and used to work for Elections Canada, back in the '80s and '90s.

Voting is something I've always considered important. It was one of those Mysterious Things that grownups got to do that kids couldn't, and I remember my grandparents taking me with them to a little one-room country schoolhouse where they would vote... and I wasn't allowed inside with them. Rules have loosened considerably now, as people bring their kids and even their pets to the polling stations. I'm not happy about kids accompanying parents behind the screen at the voting stations, though. Babies are one thing, but kids old enough to read is something that technically violates the whole "secret ballot" thing.

Most Canadian kids get excited about their 18th birthdays because it means they can legally drink. I couldn't care less about that. For me, my 18th birthday meant being old enough to vote (I'd actually felt ready for that since I was 16, which is one reason why I support the people who want to lower the voting age to 16). I see it as my duty as a citizen, and there is some validity to the idea that if you don't vote, then don't complain about how things turn out.

I've been a member of a political party since I was old enough to vote. So I always vote for the same people but I've been active in campaigning and stuff so I'd say I'm on the very engaged end of the spectrum.

Just a straight-up poll.

I find the poll options to be limited to be honest: I would consider myself involved in politics somewhat, yet I do not vote and I rarely encourage others non-voting, I prefer direct action instead. Guess not voting and discourage others from voting is still the closest.

Don't think we have referendums in Germany (besides 1 specific case, which I'm not anymore allowed to vote in), Netherlands, or even on European level (or do we? Not that I'm aware of).

I try to vote in all elections, but I missed the last European elections, because I wasn't aware that I need to register again for it (had done that for the German elections and thought it wasn't necessary anymore).

Where were you at the time? You shouldn't need to voter register for EU elections in the Netherlands, even if you are a German citizen, though I don't know what German law says on German nationals voting for European elections outside Germany or inside it for that matter.

I'm in the UK and went for the "I vote in all elections and referendums." option.

It'll be interesting to see how many CFC members go for the "I don't vote and discourage other people from voting"! :borg:

I was a paid DCCC staffer during the 2010 midterm elections. I worked for a congressional candidate in Indiana and advised a few local candidates there.

I haven't worked in politics since then, but have voted in most elections. I skipped the congressional elections in 2014 and my primary this year though (for different reasons).

Vote in most elections, but nothing more than that. By the time I had the excess time or energy to devote to any active campaign (i.e. the last twelve months), I'd gotten a little too pessimistic about electoral politics for it to seem worth my time.

That said, if a second Scottish independence referendum comes round and I haven't yet returned to full-time education, I'd probably make an effort to do some campaigning.

Voted here for "vote in every major election", by which I mean that I vote every two years and in primaries where something of consequence is going on, but ignore off-year minor local things (e.g. school board elections). I also donate small amounts of money to presidential candidates, most recently to Sanders. I've never participated in any campaign.

Top Bottom