Implementing a 'Like' feature for higher quality posts

I've been spending some time on paradox forums recently, and I miss the approve/disapprove buttons.
I think a likes count is worthless, but each post being rated is interesting. It allows people to say they agree with someone without having to read 30 one-line posts of yay/nay.

I've been spending some time on paradox forums recently, and I miss the approve/disapprove buttons.
I think a likes count is worthless, but each post being rated is interesting. It allows people to say they agree with someone without having to read 30 one-line posts of yay/nay.
Paradox forums are actually a perfect example of how this system is worthless. Most people voting don't have read beyond the title, the "agree" are often just a popularity contest, and "respectfully disagree" is more used as a passive-agressive attempt to diminish the value of a post without bothering with explaining what is the proble than to actually means someone disagree with what is said (nothing is more revealing than someone making a well-argumented and logical post, having several "disagree" without anyone actually making a counter-point or even saying what they disagree with).

If you like it, you approve it. It is basically the same. And counting shows how many people and who approves it.

I'm against adding a like feature to the forums as the only purpose it serves is to turn posting into nothing more than a popularity contest. That doesn't encourage diverse dialogue, it stifles it.

On a Finnish news site that I frequent, there are two buttons on every post: one for 'Like' and another for 'Well argued'. So even if you disagree with someone's conclusions, you can agree with the soundness of their logic (or the eloquence of their writing I guess (logical fallacy be damned)... Perhaps there's a need for a third button, 'Beautifully expressed'; but more than two is overkill imo ;)).

Paradox has a Agree, Respectfully Disagree, and Helpful option. I like that because the second option isn't really hostile and separating helpful out of agree helps to show if a post is considered "informational".

I'm against adding a like feature to the forums as the only purpose it serves is to turn posting into nothing more than a popularity contest. That doesn't encourage diverse dialogue, it stifles it

To be honest, if there is a single area on the internet that could use some social engineering, it is OT, which somehow consistently manages to out Reddit Reddit. It would be helpful if somebody could just say "hey, I disagree with this post strongly, but I don't want to write a meandering long post about why this person who refuses to ever change their views on anything is wrong, so here's a disagree".

For example, I would have "liked" LDiCesare's post here, but there is no "like" button, so I quoted and added this reply ;)

I'm for both: 'like a post' feature and users likes-received counters.

It would quickly allow newcomers and lurkers get some idea about quality of post.

Post counter below user avatar is useless for it as this number comes often from arguing about same things many times or two words posts (like 'I agree") and I saw users with thousends of posts just writting rubbish about game.

What information on quality does a number of likes convey such that it is superior to reading the post?

What information on quality does a number of likes convey such that it is superior to reading the post?

High user likes-received counter will show that this particular user helped in past many people and high number likes on this particular post will show that probably has true information.

Obviously already active and good player will be knowing this anyway without 'like' feature, just by reading a post, but I said about newcomers and lurkers.

High user likes-received counter will show that this particular user helped in past many people and high number likes on this particular post will show that probably has true information.
Yeah, in a perfect dream world where people value objectivity instead of looking for ways to validate their opinion.

Meanwhile in reality however:
A high user likes-received counter shows that the particular user generally takes very moderate positions and says things that people generally agree with, a high number of likes on a particular post shows that many people agreed with the post.

Yeah, in a perfect dream world where people value objectivity instead of looking for ways to validate their opinion.

Meanwhile in reality however:
A high user likes-received counter shows that the particular user generally takes very moderate positions and says things that people generally agree with, a high number of likes on a particular post shows that many people agreed with the post.

Yup, a "like" is really nothing more than a "nod in agreement".

This is an awful idea. All the "likes" mechanisms that exist in modern social interactions are severely harming quality of said interactions.

There are several serious mechanics in play here.

First of all, people tend to post for likes. If you conform to certain opinions and standards, you get "likes", you are positively affirmed. It doesn't mean you're right, it doesn't mean that you are creating any valuable content; all such likes say is that you go with the flow of the crowd. Sure, it doesn't mean that you're wrong or your content is bad either. Quality and likability can correlate but there is no systemic correlation. I could explain it by pushing it ad absurdum: Justin Bieber is not a great musician just because many people like him. This also encourages people to post just for attention. Not to mention that it's not quality posts that gather the most attention. Popularity must never be equated with quality.

Secondly, in cases of such likes, early bird gets the worm, or at least tends to. Opinion that is stated earlier often gets more support than a higher quality opinion stated later just because more people read the first one and 5% from 1.000 is more than 10% from 200. This effect usually disrupts any evaluative mechanics desired by creators of such systems.

And what I find also quite important, are elitist issues. This place, like many other similar fandoms (yes, this is a fandom), is having issues with elitism. I rarely post these days, but I committed a wall of text in one of such elitist threads. OP started "discussion" by saying that he doesn't understand how stupid people on the internet cannot understand how great the aesthetic side of civ6 is, and how magnificent all of new solution introduced in this iteration are. It was of course phrased in a way characteristic to political rallies. I'm giving you the gist of it here but I remembered the best part of it: "why don't people like more strategic approach to the game?". Which, as an intelligent reader should realize, is the classic trick of defining something by presenting an opinion as a fact. Politics 101. Pure populism. That rancid post would have a heap of likes.
As could be expected, 3/4 of posts below it, and it went for several pages, were exclamations of shared superiority. "We are the great elite, we are the quality people, and who shares our opinions, can be smart and special with us, better than those who disagree with us".
This is certainly not characteristic for the whole community, and that thread was rather an exception from normal activities of the forum, something sparked by OP's ego-tickler, all the same, such tendencies here exist and are strong. "Like" systems will only make them stronger.

Do we really want to create in-site celebrities? Because that's what all toxic "like" systems accomplish. Quality defends itself. I don't believe accomplished users lacked proper respect they deserve. Reputation points will only divide them into "better" and "worse" groups.

The only argument about such endorsement system that can be effectively defended is the aspect of its neatness. A simple +1 can be seen as more effective and cleaner than "I agree" posts. However, I'd rather put emphasis on human interaction, and simple "+1" is an alienating mechanism. Let's not move towards single-serving human parainteractions, please. This is a purely axiological argument, though. I just don't find chatting threads to be of lesser quality than in-depth analysis somewhere else. I've made many good friends in places like this, and I doubt I would have accomplished it if our interactions were limited to just clicking "+1". But, as I said, this paragraph is purely subjective.

PS. I've just realized that OP's post is worded very similarly to my old psychology book about manipulating 5yos in behavioral approach :D

Snip

PS. I've just realized that OP's post is worded very similarly to my old psychology book about manipulating 5yos in behavioral approach :D

Whoa. You took something similarly in my disorganized mind and worded it out more beautifully. :clap:

I was almost tempted to use the like button on you however :p

There are some forums (eg http://www.skyscrapercity.com) which have a 'Like' feature, where you can publicly like another forumer's post, and everyone has a likes-received count (ie, the number of times people liked your posts) below their avatar. Eg:

A feature like this would have considerable benefits for the CivFanatics forum and for our community, namely:

Less short, meaningless posts and less potential spam
  • Sometimes forumers write 7-character posts just to express their agreement with another poster: "I agree". This wouldn't be necessary if there was a way to publicly express agreement with a single click, such as the 'Like' feature.

Less 'waste' of good posts and good forumers
  • On the other hand, many forumers can't be bothered to write a short post expressing their agreement or liking of a good post. This means that very high-quality posts, although tacitly well-received, are many times left without response, which can discourage their writers.
  • A 'Like' feature assures the author that people read and liked his/her post, and encourages him to write more.

I agree with all of this especially, and I am glad (as someone who has expressed annoyance at having to quote multiple people just to express approval for their well articulated position) to finally just be able to like posts! I think you may deserve some of the credit; and so I have 'liked' your early posts in this thread as a result. Along with quoting you; out of sheer joy at having a like button!!!

I agree with all of this especially, and I am glad (as someone who has expressed annoyance at having to quote multiple people just to express approval for their well articulated position) to finally just be able to like posts! I think you may deserve some of the credit; and so I have 'liked' your early posts in this thread as a result. Along with quoting you; out of sheer joy at having a like button!!!
I disapprove of this post.

I foresee a negligible difference in quality with the like feature. It will be useful in the same way it is on Facebook, to show you "liked" something someone posted but otherwise have no real meaning. It is a nice way to say you liked a post without making a post that is "I liked your post" though.

I foresee a negligible difference in quality with the like feature. It will be useful in the same way it is on Facebook, to show you "liked" something someone posted but otherwise have no real meaning. It is a nice way to say you liked a post without making a post that is "I liked your post" though.

If some of the disapproving members were to be believed, clicking 'Like' on a post is a direct path to the collapse of society and the Salem Witch Trials, CFC Edition.

I like the addition of this feature. It's nothing more than a way to express appreciation or agreement (or both!) with someone's post. Many times, you can create a quality post and receive no replies to it because there's nothing to say in response. The addition of Likes allows you to know whether or not your post was well-received without needing people to muddy the waters with "Yeah, I agree, but I have nothing more to add." comments.

Or it's because I want to be #1 on the Most Likes chart and silence those 0 like losers. Either/or.

Top Bottom