[R&F] Zulu First Look

Why? You like dominating other Civs? :p You're a genocidal player....:lol:

I hate the colors (why green? why not reuse the Civ5 colors?), the music is too Westernized (Lion King type music), Shaka will always hate me in-game (I never bother to form Corps and Armies, and I can still destroy the AI's Corps and Armies easily). This is a Civ I will try to do one domination game in and never play again. Sorry, I'm a pacifist at heart. :p

Oh, and his voice actor is worst than his Civ5 one. He sounds too friendly.

And the Zulus better not be the last Sub-Saharan African Civ, Firaxis. :nono: At least give us Ethiopia and Mali later.
I'm not a big warmonger either :p I just like that Shaka offers a more interesting domination that common Civ. Same goes for Genghis Khan :p

Also, doesn't Nubia already use Zulu colours already?

I'm not a big warmonger either :p I just like that Shaka offers a more interesting domination that common Civ. Same goes for Genghis Khan :p

Also, doesn't Nubia already use Zulu colours already?

Does Nubia use the Zulu Civ5 colors? I don't remember.
But Green is such a bad color choice for the Zulus. Their lands weren't that green (I might be wrong about this though).
Sadly, no Zulu people even play Civ. I've never met any South Africans on this site either.

I wonder how many corps/armies it takes to placate Shaka. Can I just make one?

Probably equal to or more than him (as with many of the similar mechanics). Would be more difficult on the higher difficulty levels.

Nobody has mentioned this but the zulus have very few early game bonuses.

The UU is medieval, the ability to form corps/armies (part of the UB and UA, and everything to do with the LUA) unlocks with mercenaries. The only thing you get before is half price encampments and +3 loyalty for garrisons. I think that will make them a relatively slow start civ. However, once you get Mercenaries, everything will really start going your way. Your unit conquers a city? Boom, +15 combat strength always, against everyone, for the entire game. Can't really see how anyone could compete with that. Impis are good, but with 1UPT there's limited use for 10 Impi corps. I'd rather have 5 Knight corps.

I think getting the encampment up at half-cost is a lot stronger than might be credited. Sure, it's not the best Ancient/Classical bonus, but getting the +1 hammer from the Ikanda at half-cost is a really big deal in my opinion in creating your first few cities quickly, and the +1 culture coming out earlier also gets you to Political Philosophy that much sooner.

Sarah mispronounced "Amabutho", the "th" in Zulu sounds more like "ch". So it should sound more like "A-ma-bu-cho".

How do I know that? Because Shaka in Civ5 said that word in his Defeat line.

But Green is such a bad color choice for the Zulus. Their lands weren't that green (I might be wrong about this though).
Sadly, no Zulu people even play Civ. I've never met any South Africans on this site either.
I also don't like the colour choice :p

However, they both use brown and white.

I hate the colors (why green? why not reuse the Civ5 colors?), the music is too Westernized (Lion King type music)
What's wrong with Lion King music, at least there is no Elton John? :p

If it's like Harald only requiring two boats, it will be easy.

South Africa at least has green and yellow in their flag. I guess that's why Australia got black. :rolleyes:
But I think Nubia does have their old colors.

Sarah mispronounced "Amabutho", the "th" in Zulu sounds more like "ch". So it should sound more like "A-ma-bu-cho".

How do I know that? Because Shaka in Civ5 said that word in his Defeat line.

Sarah should've just purposefully mispronounced "Highlander" in the Scotland video just to support the meta that she can't pronounce things correctly.

What's wrong with Lion King music, at least there is no Elton John? :p

If it's like Harald only requiring two boats, it will be easy.

South Africa at least has green and yellow in their flag. I guess that's why Australia got black. :rolleyes:
But I think Nubia does have their old colors.

idk, I just have a personal preference for more authentic sounding African music. :p

Australia's new colors are horrible though. :cry:

I think getting the encampment up at half-cost is a lot stronger than might be credited. Sure, it's not the best Ancient/Classical bonus, but getting the +1 hammer from the Ikanda at half-cost is a really big deal in my opinion in creating your first few cities quickly, and the +1 culture coming out earlier also gets you to Political Philosophy that much sooner.

Maybe. I'll admit that encampments are such a low priority for me that I've never relied on them. This might make a difference, but the main point is still that the Zulu's are not an early super power.

Nobody has mentioned this but the zulus have very few early game bonuses.

The UU is medieval, the ability to form corps/armies (part of the UB and UA, and everything to do with the LUA) unlocks with mercenaries. The only thing you get before is half price encampments and +3 loyalty for garrisons. I think that will make them a relatively slow start civ. However, once you get Mercenaries, everything will really start going your way. Your unit conquers a city? Boom, +15 combat strength always, against everyone, for the entire game. Can't really see how anyone could compete with that. Impis are good, but with 1UPT there's limited use for 10 Impi corps. I'd rather have 5 Knight corps.

Tactic: Get to mercenaries and knights as fast as possible, building encampments along the way to get some classical/medieval great general. Have a moderate force of chariots ready to upgrade to knights ASAP. After that pick up Impi to increase the size of your army to conquer even faster and keep the loyalty up.

Might be a fun civ to play once, but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of variety here... Let's just be thankful he doesn't have a +X for 10 turns after declaring war with Y casus belli UA.

I'm definitely doing a Medieval start for my first playthrough with Shaka.

I love how Civ always gives the Zulu a similar "strength in numbers" swarm the enemy playstyle. I hope they keep it up as long as they keep making Civ.

I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship between Shaka and a certain Egyptian princess ;) She'll certainly have her pick of strongmen in this expansion :D

It'll be interesting to see how a war between Shaka and Genghis might play out. Mongolia is the most interesting of the war-oriented civs in my opinion, but I might consider giving Shaka a try. At the very least I'll enjoy fighting against him! Curious to see if he'll be a strong competitor on the war front, kind of like how Kongo is at being an economic powerhouse.

Sarah should've just purposefully mispronounced "Highlander" in the Scotland video just to support the meta that she can't pronounce things correctly.
Her pronunciation is certainly better than Sean Bean's. When Quill18 in his Korea stream said he'd have to wait to hear Sean Bean pronounce "Seondeok" to know how to say it I nearly cried--but fortunately in this case Sean Bean was close enough, unlike Kin Shi Wong. :shifty:

idk, I just have a personal preference for more authentic sounding African music. :p

Australia's new colors are horrible though. :cry:
+1 reason to leave Australia disabled. :p

My rating:
Medium-lower tier civ

1: Half price encampment is 1/12 of Japanese UA... (1/2 is combat part, 1/2 is the district part, among which 1/2 is the cost reduction, and encampment is 1/3 of that)

also it have +1 housing for encampment, 1/4 of granary.(1/2 housing part, 1/2 bonus)

2: UU: We shall not compare to Pikeman since nobody builds Pikeman. (Or Berserker, etc.)

Impi, 125 Prod, 41 strength, more adj. bonus, extra tech cost, can be upgraded to.

Some comparisons:
Legion, 110 Prod , can fix improvements, with a chance to chop( this values ~40 prod), 40 strength, can be upgraded to
Varu, 120 Prod, 40 strength but actually 45
Crouching Tiger, 160 Prod, 50 strength, ranged.

I don't think Impi is a good match. So this probably do not value high. (Maybe strong at PVP to counter knights, but not useful in PVE games)

Unless the adj bonus from promotion and Impi stack multiplicatively so that it gets +8 per adjancy, if so this unit may be useful, you can use Impi to counter tanks:crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

3: capture city gain corp/army

very, very useful. Like raw +strength for a unit.
(But not as good as Macedon UA)

4: earlier corp/army, cheaper with Ikanda

Does anyone ever made use of the Spanish fleet UA?

5: Garrison provide extra loyalty

This is good. Not sure how good it is.

So its main bonus is "capture city gain corp/army" , "1/12 of Japanese UA", "Garrison provide extra loyalty".

Does anyone else think Shaka has kind of a weird face? Like, it doesn't look like an african face. Like the skull shape is different. Maybe I'm crazy, but something looks kind of off.

Probably "more than the world average", which I think is how Harald etc work. Maybe that's why Harald is often in love with me as soon as I make one galley (because the world average is about 1/3rd of a boat)

Top Bottom