What different types of work/jobs did you do up to now?

My first job was when I was 14 I worked as a bag boy for my local grocery store.

In high school I did some unpaid volunteer work for an animal shelter.

In college I worked with a professor studying the coma of comets.

Later in college I did more work maintaining a database for group that was researching autism.

Now I work as a programmer making applications for business users.

I've never really liked any of the jobs I've had. Standing all day as a bag boy made my feet hurt. The animal shelter made me depressed seeing the conditions of the animals. The other jobs are kind of tedious but at least my current one pays the bills so it's acceptable. Really I think I just don't like work. I'd rather sleep in until noon each day

Paid labour:

1) Farmhand (10-12)
2) Web Design (14-15)
3) Convenience Store Clerk (16)
4) Nanny/Guardian/Whatever (16-20)
5) Amusement Park Attendant (18)
6) Maintenance Worker (18)
7) Writer (18-23)
8) Bus Inspector/Ticket Inspector (20)
9) Copyeditor (23-now)

Volunteer labour:

1) Daycare Aide (14)
2) Reading Teacher (10-15)
3) Charity Consultant (16-20)
4) Job Centre Coach (19-22)
5) Mental Health Centre Contact (18-20)
6) Computer Skills Teacher (19-20)
7) Charity Trainer/Recruiter (18)
8) Posting on CFC (12-now)

Edit: Added approximate ages.

My chronological list of jobs, I think I remember them all. I am including internships, as they were all paid:

- COBOL programmer
- "Anything IT related guy" at an insurance company
- Web Developer at web development firm
- Interactive Kiosk programmer
- Web guru helper for rich shady guy
- Web Developer/Software Engineer

I was also once paid 20 Deutchebundesmarks by a church to help clean up a forest, back when I was 11 or so.

Paper route when I was ~10-12
Mowed lawns when I was ~12-14.
Worked at a florist ages 15-19. I started just cleaning up but later did everything from delivery to cashier to simple arrangements.
Taught guitar lessons at 17.
Installed swimming pool tile from 17-19 in the summers.
I had a brief stint as a painter's aide when I was 17.
I don't know if this counts since I never made any money but I joined one of those multi level marketing schemes (basically online amway) when I was 19. Lasted about a year.
Internship at 19 as a software developer, hired in after graduation and I'm still at the same place making software.

Caddy
Locker room attendant
Car Parker
Busboy
Dishwasher
Cook
Waiter
Telephone sales
Carpenter
Customer Service Rep
Roofer
Body shop manager
Insurance agent
Research Analyst
Computer Operator
Programmer
Operations Manager
Developer
Project manager
Development Director
CIO

Not necessarily in that order. Hopefully will add retired very soon.

You big guys are such show-offs. But summer vacations are starting soon, and this year, I have an actual summer job. Soon, I willll be able to proudly tell everybody that I helped relocate a library.

You big guys are such show-offs. But summer vacations are starting soon, and this year, I have an actual summer job. Soon, I willll be able to proudly tell everybody that I helped relocate a library.

I don't know if it's showing off. It's good to have a varied depth of experience and a lot of these things often lead into another. Most of my volunteering happened as a direct result of what I had been doing, and likewise with writing to editing.

Once you get going, it is deceptively easy to rack up job titles and experience.

I'm unfit for work.

So am I but that certainly doesn't preclude us from giving it a go.

Let's see. I was a desk attendant at the pool at age 14. From 15-23 I lifeguarded and worked in a variety of menial food service jobs. Now I'm a union researcher/organizer.

You big guys are such show-offs.
No, just old. Over 50 years, you have a lot of opportunities to do different things.

Ice cream truck salesman 1 summer
House painter 1 year
Outward Bound School Instructor, summers
Teacher/Principal 8 years
Got an MBA
Marketing Manager 7 years
General Manager 8 years
Marketing Director 5 years
Economic Development/Operations analyst 6 years
Sideline: 8 years teaching classes on "How to write a business Plan" for SBDC
CEO 6 years
Retired
Think Tank Director 2 years and counting
Pro bono business start up mentoring

Across multiple companies, some of which I was an owner. Over the years I've had good bosses, bad bosses and crazy bosses. The smallest company I worked in was probably about $150,000 in sales (way back when). The largest I ran was $30M. It was a long and interesting climb.

Ride operator at amusement park.
Submarine nuclear reactor operator.
Maker of fine furniture.
Quality assurance manager for electronics company.
Car salesman, sales manager, finance manager.
Truck stop lane attendant, shift manager.
Every conceivable variation of construction guy, up to foreman.
Bank robber.
Fabricator in a welding shop.
Pool cleaner.
Small business creator marketing pool routes.
Aquatic facility maintenance tech.
Seminar salesman.
Operated computer maintenance business.
Handyman.
Real estate developer.

Maker of fine furniture.
Not just furniture, FINE FURNITURE gotta love it.

It is funny, reading others lists Reminds me that I left a few items off mine. Getting old sucks.

Not just furniture, FINE FURNITURE gotta love it.

That was my first business, while I was in the navy. Anything made by hand by a single craftsman is the definition of "fine."

I also worked in a furniture factory while I was in prison, but that was a much different gig. We made nondescript government office furniture...at a much higher volume.

It occurs to me that I should have left off that "operated computer maintenance business" since despite having been paid a salary for the duration when you consider what I invested I came up negative overall.

Based on that definition, can you still list bank robber, If you got caught ;)

(don't know how i missed that one on the first read)

Well, tbh when i asked about jobs, i meant those done for at least some considerable length of time :) (OR had a stable salary)

@Synsensa : by "writer" (as a job) do you mean ghost-writer?
I don't see writing own books as a job (unless one can get at least half-serious money out of rights; which is quite rare).

All of mine were for a considerable length of time (at least a year, some overlapped since I worked multiple jobs). Or the list would have been WAY longer.

Well, tbh when i asked about jobs, i meant those done for at least some considerable length of time :) (OR had a stable salary)

@Synsensa : by "writer" (as a job) do you mean ghost-writer?
I don't see writing own books as a job (unless one can get at least half-serious money out of rights; which is quite rare).

I'm published in magazines, have done web copy, basic blog posts, press releases, etc. I'm not/haven't been a novelist.

Top Bottom