[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

Yep. Also both sports come from Canada.

No, we don't really have any real claims to football. Yes, the Grey Cup is older than the superbowl, but football is not Canadian.
Now, Basketball was invented by a Canadian (although invented while he was in the US), and baseball's first organized game was quite possibly in Canada too.

The Mesoamerican ball game is far, far older than the Aztec. A part of me would have preferred saving it for the Maya, but it has great synergy with the Aztec so I won't complain.
I know, I'm just trying to make it sound better. I'd like to give the Maya a pyramid/temple/observatory anyway that would suit them better.

As for everybody wanting railroad hotels you can always build a seaside resort as Canada and put a railroad running through it.

As a non-Canadian I would say:

UI: Sugar Bush.
UU: Shock trooper. (WWI style infantry, gets bonus against fortified units.)

Shock trooper wouldn't be unique to Canada, though. Plus that bonus definitely less interesting. A more serious Canada would be a more boring Canada.

I know, I'm just trying to make it sound better. I'd like to give the Maya a pyramid/temple/observatory anyway that would suit them better.

As for everybody wanting railroad hotels you can always build a seaside resort as Canada and put a railroad running through it.
Château Frontenac might still show up as a wonder.

Football is even more evangelical and zealous in Texas. :rolleyes:

It might as well be a syncretic belief of Protestant Christianity down here. Or maybe vice versa... Some small town high school football games seem to be the primary spiritual tenet of the locals.

which made me wonder if rejection for modern nations is a majority feeling among fans of the game or just a limited group here.
My impression is that a lot of the casual fans like their country in game. That's not a feeling I can relate to personally (I played the US once and will probably never play them again), but...

wars they can see coming from a mile away.
I think this is my biggest problem with the civ: a civ's abilities shouldn't affect the way other civs play the game. If Canada had a bigger diplomatic bonus and the inability to declare surprise wars (and perhaps some penalty to civs who declare surprise wars on them), I'd like the design better.

I'd like to give the Maya a pyramid/temple/observatory anyway that would suit them better.
Sure, that's why I don't mind that the Aztec got the ballgame.

Shock trooper wouldn't be unique to Canada, though. Plus that bonus definitely less interesting. A more serious Canada would be a more boring Canada.
Canada didn't invent shock troops, or was a major factor of utilizing shock troop either. And if giving them a bonus that depends on a move that you cannot control, that is made by other players, I take the RCMP any day.

Well, YouTube comments seem to enjoy Canada's presence and believe it's fun. Until we get a Christina/Dido/Eleanor...
YouTube comments are apropos of nothing, but I did see a brilliant quote there:
"In a world of 31 flavors, Canada is the bowl of water they rinse the spoons in."

"In a world of 31 flavors, Canada is the bowl of water they rinse the spoons in."
That's beautiful.

Anyway, to me one of the big deals here is the double-strategic-resource-extraction. As we know, in GS certain units, and electrified cities, will require extracted resources per turn.

I'd still rather be England to make use of that ability. Better UUs, an early unique district, extra trade routes and free units on top of doubling the commonest resources Canada is likely to get, and that isn't limited by terrain. The main resources Canada gets bonuses to that England doesn't are niter and oil (though depending on how uranium is reworked it may be more useful than it is now). Niter has no civilian use, which seems to make it less necessary for Canada anyway (EDIT: Also, not in tundra from the Civilopedia - my mistake), and oil is very late. It's a big deal that Canada's bonus doesn't apply to either horses or aluminum.

Last edited:
which made me wonder if rejection for modern nations is a majority feeling among fans of the game or just a limited group here.

I'm sure people in developed countries with sizeable gaming markets (countries like Canada, Australia, and Brazil) are happy to be included in the game. I'm also sure Firaxis is more than happy to cater to those sizeable gaming markets. I personally believe that's a poor metric for choosing who does and doesn't make the cut in a Civilization game, but the power that be obviously disagree with me.

I would like to hear what you think should be Canada's UI and UU, considering that you are a Canadian, that can better represent Canada from coast to coast, representing Quebecois just as well as other Canadians, because no one ever relies on a video game design to have an impression about a country, more like the nature of the country influences the bland game design.

Without any disrespect, Canada's design is as disappointing to you as its inclusion in the game is to us.

Hey, now. Don't blame Canada for the bland civ design. :)

I'm not going to repeat the 20 plus page O Canada thread, but there was lots of optimism there and ideas about what could be done with Canada that would have made it a fun civ for everyone to play, and fit in better with an exploration and settlement game like Civ.

LOL. That may sum up this civ design even better than Zaarin's quip. :lol:

It might as well be a syncretic belief of Protestant Christianity down here. Or maybe vice versa... Some small town high school football games seem to be the primary spiritual tenet of the locals.
As somebody from a small Texas town I agree.
That's sort of why I understand why the hockey rink was given to Canada in the first place, at least that's my understanding that some form of ice hockey might be seen daily in Canada, even if you don't particularly like or follow it closely.

Without any disrespect, Canada's design is as disappointing to you as its inclusion in the game is to us

As someone who doesn't really mind if Canada isn't in the roster, I would have been okay for Canada to be in the game if it's done well with an awareness that Canadian identity and history isn't as recent as many people would believe. But it seems that this iteration isn't that. So I feel disappointed.

Canada didn't invent shock troops, or was a major factor of utilizing shock troop either. And if giving them a bonus that depends on a move that you cannot control, that is made by other players, I take the RCMP any day.

They didn't invent it but they were accomplished at it and are probably the best for a Canadian military unique. The Canadian 1st Division in WWI were considered hardened assault troops by the end of the war and were usually held in reserve during the beginning of battles for counter-offensive operations. You can call them Red Patch infantry or something like that if shock trooper is too generic.

Top Bottom