Little things you'd like to see in Civilization VII

What you still don't understand is that you don't have to simulate events but conditions: can colonies rebel under certain conditions? Can an empire collapse without invasions? Under what conditions? Or a set of political, military, religious factors. Here serves a very good ai and historical work
That's good, but your previous comments made it seem that you wanted to force-simulate events, which is where the confusion arose

I haven’t been following this thread closely, but if the length of posts is any indication, I think we’ve lost track of the “little” part of the title.

edit: I don't wanna discourage discussion or fanaticism at all, just reminding us that there are other, better threads for this. this thread was made for those bullet point ideas.

Last edited:
Civilizations should be doubled, tripled because civilizations cannot be the traditional sects one should avoid creating. not superpowers but two or three single superpowers and the possibility of collapse as in the USSR in 1990 . I am Italian and Sicilian Sicily had Greeks, Carthaginians, Romans, Arabs, Normans, Aragonese, Spaniards, Angevins,, Austrians, Byzantines, Germans

Taking a worker from a city state was a former way of taking a loan in civ 5. By the attitude that city states gained eventually. Taking another worker however would cause you diplomatic difficulties with all city states and alliance forming got less simple.

• Every building should be placed on its own tile, kind of like Old World. This would introduce new strategies for building placement.
  • More advanced resource management : right now, if you improve a resource, it gets added to a global stack of resources. I would make these local to a city, so in order to get resources across all the empire, you need trade routes.
  • No hexagon grid and use a free grid, like age of empires does. The adjacency criteria can be replaced with a maximum distance between buildings.
  • More robust online play : please make it so there are no more desyncs and fix the multiplayer lobby, it's not normal we have to rejoin a lobby in order to not crash the host.
  • Return to a more realistic graphical style; since civ 6 was more cartoonish it would be fresh to see next gen realistic graphics, especially if the Unreal Engine is used.
  • Religion is a bit tricky to spread, especially in multiplayer. There should be consequences to kill a missionary or apostle, i.e. make it a martyr and increase the bonuses of that religion to be spread even more.
  • I would like to see the religion to have its own tree, like the culture and research. The religion would see progress through the amount of faith generated or/and number of people converted.
  • Religions should also see a decline when the game progresses, especially with new technologies being researched. In civ 6, I don't see any decline of the religion. Since there is a decline, the religion should receive major boosts.
  • Religions tend also to slow down the research (i.e. what we call the dark ages), there should something like the world congress but for the world religion to ban some technologies
The Cartoon graphics really put me off 6. played 6 only a fraction of the time as 5 and earlier, not because of gameplay, just the cartoon styling... and also don't get me started on why battleships sound like speed boats in 6 :\

Option to take loans from city-states and other civilizations

Hmmm, maybe just a more in depth relationship with city-states? Money exchange is a good enough proxy for loans, in the end it's often the same thing anyway.

But for city-states "emissary race" thing is just plain simple and a bit boring, the (re)quest thing is a bit weird but at least a tiny bit more interesting. There's a lot of fighting for proxy control/favor/etc. throughout history, including proxy wars (now that would be interesting!) that could be better emulated with a much expanded diplomacy system there. Imagine gifting to a city state under siege from another civ. Ukraine anyone?

Hmmm, maybe just a more in depth relationship with city-states? Money exchange is a good enough proxy for loans, in the end it's often the same thing anyway.

But for city-states "emissary race" thing is just plain simple and a bit boring, the (re)quest thing is a bit weird but at least a tiny bit more interesting. There's a lot of fighting for proxy control/favor/etc. throughout history, including proxy wars (now that would be interesting!) that could be better emulated with a much expanded diplomacy system there. Imagine gifting to a city state under siege from another civ. Ukraine anyone?

I suggested something similar in another thread:
Regarding conflicts like the Korean War and Vietnam War, my suggestion is that the idea apply to city-states. We already have Spies attempting coups on the behalf of hegemons (major civilizations) in order to install favourable regimes, I think that could be expanded to include supporting military factions as well. So for example in the City-State of Havana you have Babylon and Armenia struggling for influence. Babylon's spy effects a coup and installs a pro-Babylon government in Havana, but Armenia's spy encourages the ousted government to take arms. Babylon sends military aid to the Havanese government which pushes back the rebels. To save the situation Armenia sends their own troops who push back the government forces. Babylon intervenes and sends its own troops, and now both Armenia and Babylon are secondary participants in the civil war. Because two major civilizations are involved, and there is the risk of full-blown conflict occurring, the other major civilizations of the world hold an emergency World Congress meeting to mediate between the two sides. If they succeed, one of the governments is established in Havana, or the city-state is split into two. If not, war breaks out between Babylon and Armenia (where both are primary combatants) and due to cascading alliances or multi-civ pacts World War may occur.

What I would like to see in Civ7 is city-states having their own distinctive jerseys. Playing as Mongolia against Byzantium, we each have a Mercantile city-state ally, and it's maddening trying to tell whose units belong to whom.

In Civ6, city-states of the same type have the same jersey. In Civ5, city-states have ostensibly distinct jerseys, each has black as a primary colour and another colour as the secondary one, but some of those secondary colours overlap, which also sometimes leads to confusion.

To mix up the two, and devise a solution to the problem of unique jerseys, my proposal is this: each type of city-state has a basic secondary colour (red, blue, green etc.) and the usual black as the primary colour. And each city-state that appears in the game is assigned a secondary colour that is one of multiple shades of the basic colour of its type. So Granada is a Militaristic city-state, it gets a secondary colour of a certain shade of red. Tétouan is a Militaristic city-state, it gets a secondary colour of another shade of red.

Would there be enough distinctive jerseys through this method? I should think so. Here you can see a colour scheme that has 10 shades for each colour. So if Civ7 goes with the basic 4 types of city-states, the maximum number of city-states with distinctive jerseys on the same map is 40. I think that's enough. I don't think I've ever played with that many city-states, or that unmodded Civ5 and Civ6 even support that many city-states. The only issue I can see is when the number of city-states of one type exceeds 10, but I've never seen that happen, and is therefore a contingency unlikely in the extreme.

To mix up the two, and devise a solution to the problem of unique jerseys, my proposal is this: each type of city-state has a basic secondary colour (red, blue, green etc.) and the usual black as the primary colour. And each city-state that appears in the game is assigned a secondary colour that is one of multiple shades of the basic colour of its type. So Granada is a Militaristic city-state, it gets a secondary colour of a certain shade of red. Tétouan is a Militaristic city-state, it gets a secondary colour of another shade of red.

Would there be enough distinctive jerseys through this method? I should think so. Here you can see a colour scheme that has 10 shades for each colour. So if Civ7 goes with the basic 4 types of city-states, the maximum number of city-states with distinctive jerseys on the same map is 40. I think that's enough. I don't think I've ever played with that many city-states, or that unmodded Civ5 and Civ6 even support that many city-states. The only issue I can see is when the number of city-states of one type exceeds 10, but I've never seen that happen, and is therefore a contingency unlikely in the extreme.
Giving eyestream to a raptor bird, is what I foresee, instead of blatant confusion, knowing how well many games render, "shades," of a coulour to distinguish things on screen. Especially for more popular types of city-state.

Giving eyestream to a raptor bird, is what I foresee, instead of blatant confusion, knowing how well many games render, "shades," of a coulour to distinguish things on screen. Especially for more popular types of city-state.
Still better than the current system in Civ6. Unless you'd prefer that city-states take their jerseys from a list without regard to their type

Fighting a war on two fronts, put up my cursor over each individual unit every turn so I know which is friend and which is foe

People want a dojo for Japan but really their unique building should be a Jinja (Shinto shrine) or Otera (Buddhist temple) both have a larger effect and more historical and cultural significance than a dojo which were just usually small places attached to a larger shrine or temple.

People want a dojo for Japan but really their unique building should be a Jinja (Shinto shrine) or Otera (Buddhist temple) both have a larger effect and more historical and cultural significance than a dojo which were just usually small places attached to a larger shrine or temple.
Any of those could work, in my opinion. I slightly prefer the Dojo more considering the others could actually be used as potential worship buildings. But I think my first choice would be a Zaibatsu.

Historically, it wouldn't be out of the question.
The religious history of Japan is notorious as many others aspects of their culture as Isolationist, there are not a proselytizer element as the Religious Victory implies.
Of course the religious "defensive" aspect could still be represented, but it is usefull only if this potentializes others pats to victory.

A Jinja would be more iconic. You see them far more often in modern photos and imagery - and promotionals - of Japan. Plus, they're tied to the legitimacy of the Chrsantanum Throne (a Japanese Emperor, to this day, must be Shinto as surely as the British Monarch must be Anglican, the three Scandinavian Monarchs Lutheran, the Dutch Monarch Reformed Dutch Christian, the Belgian and Spanish Monarchs, and Luxembourgish Grand Duke and Monacan and Liechtensteiner Prince Roman Catholic, the Moroccan, Jordanian, Saudi, Kuwaiti, Qatari, Bahraini, Bruneian, and all seven component Emirati and nine component Malaysian Monarchs Sunni Muslim, the Omani Monarch Obadhi Muslim, the Thai Monarch Theravada Buddhist, and the Tongan Monarch Wesleyan Christian. The King of Lesotho once boasted about being the only sitting, sovereign monarch free to choose his own religion).

A Jinja would be more iconic. You see them far more often in modern photos and imagery - and promotionals - of Japan. Plus, they're tied to the legitimacy of the Chrsantanum Throne (a Japanese Emperor, to this day, must be Shinto as surely as the British Monarch must be Anglican, the three Scandinavian Monarchs Lutheran, the Dutch Monarch Reformed Dutch Christian, the Belgian and Spanish Monarchs, and Luxembourgish Grand Duke and Monacan and Liechtensteiner Prince Roman Catholic, the Moroccan, Jordanian, Saudi, Kuwaiti, Qatari, Bahraini, Bruneian, and all seven component Emirati and nine component Malaysian Monarchs Sunni Muslim, the Omani Monarch Obadhi Muslim, the Thai Monarch Theravada Buddhist, and the Tongan Monarch Wesleyan Christian. The King of Lesotho once boasted about being the only sitting, sovereign monarch free to choose his own religion).
And the Pope being Catholic

Top Bottom