nuclear war

hoplite505

Sid Conqueror
i hate nuclear war: i was about to win my first monarch victory by space race when the hittites declare war on me and nuked my best cities i nuked them but by this time they had 9 parts built and i couldn't win. i was losing 130 gold and quit.

I really needed SDI defense

The only problem with getting SDI defense is it requires two extra techs (Integrated Defense and Smart Weapons) that you don't need for Space Race, so it will put you behind in that.

I'm curious, did they pre-emptively launch the nukes at your best cities before you ever nuked them? I've had the AI nuke me first, but it's always been more fringe cities, not the top 10 or so.

they declared war on byzantines i had an MPP and then they nuked me

but i am going to continue: go for a diplomatic victory. i thought you had to have the UN to host elections didn't know the AI would

I've had the AI nuke me first. First turn of a war I started with the Chinese, they launched on and hit 4 cities despite SDI Defense.

- 2 fringe, both of which were former Chinese taken in previous wars
- Washington
- New York

Very painful.

Also, I hate nuclear war for another reason: When the AI goes at it, they totally ruin the environment. Every city gets hit eventually. And they do not bother to clean up the pollution. I've quit a few really good games because global warming was destroying everything, and yet the AI still kept nuking each other. Sucks all the fun out of it, IMO.

I participated in the largest nuclear war of civ history in a multiplyer game I played with 2 of my friends.

All the ai civs were long gone, and the game was coming close to a space race end. He initiated the war by nuking 3 of my largest cities, including my capital. I had no nukes to retaliate, as I trusted his word that we would have a peaceful finish (needless to say, I will never trust him again). On the next turn, he got several more ICBMs and nuked more of my cities. It was not looking good for the Motherland. Fortunately, I had a much larger empire with many more cities than he did. I mobilized for war and put all I had into building nukes. I was able to nuke all of his major cities, some twice, and even capture his capitol for one turn. I also nuked an invasion force he was sailing to my continent. He was able to convince our other friend to nuke me as well, and he got 3 or 4 of my cities. When we made peace, both of our nations were devestated beyond repair. 80% of our territory was pollution from nukes. But, it wasn't over yet.

My other freind took advantage of our war to speed ahead and was closing in on a space victory. We decided to team up to try and stop him. We scraped together about 5 nukes between us, and hit his capital and other big cities. He had a stockpile of probably 10 nukes, at least, and hit us back. It was all over. My large invasion force (which was at sea when the nukes started to fly, and thus was saved from anihilation), was 1 turn away from capturing his capitol when he finished his spaceship.

This was an unbelievable war, and was one of the funnest civ games I have ever played, even though I lost. Usually I hate nuclear war, because my friend always uses nukes when he gets them, always! I don't like using nukes; I like conventional forces better. This game was fun though.

capslock, that sounds like an extremely fun game!

Since your friend always gets nukes, what is your plan for next game that reaches modern times?

@Hygro
Well, we have played several games since them. In one, I was way ahead and when I saw he had all the uranium, and I had none, I invaded with a massive, overwhelming force and ended the game before nukes. In the other, we had 4 human players, and the balance of power was such that noone would benefit from nukes, so I didn't have to worry. I always play as Russia, so chances are good that I will learn the location of uranium or aluminum first, and I can send out my forces to capture it if neccesary. That is generally the plan from now on.

Also, after that game, we are both afraid to use nukes against each other. We have been playing eachother since civ2 went multiplayer, and we are the best of our group of 4. Our friend won, because we did not take him seriously. He is a noob. We made an agreement after that game not to fight eachother until the others are gone, but that doesn't work so well. He tries to win by culture when he can, and in our last game I had to take his capital city before it won by culture. It was a great sacrifice, a war of epic proportions that lasted too long and took too much out of my empire, and I ended up losing, too. Our 4th player, the newest of noobs won that game. He won because my army also took out the other human, keeping him from building a space ship long enough for the 4th player to win.

Sounds like a blast, especially the nuclear winter game.

Makes me wish PBEM didn't take so fricken long. I detest non-turn based Civ.

Originally posted by Quasar1011
Nuke your enemy's uranium sources, people! :rolleyes:

Exactly. One of the first things I do when going nuclear is take out all of the strategic and luxary resources. If nothing else, it gives me a few turns to build up more. Also try to nuke his capital, so that any trades going in/out are disrupted.

Of course, it doesn't do anything to existing stockpiles. But it does slow down the war, and causes the enemy AI to slow down a bit. And if they are short on SpaceShip parts, they can't build any more until they hook the resources up again. Of course, they can finish any nukes/SS parts they are building.

Top Bottom