Adding a little variety to Grassland

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
while at it- can you fix those black dots by the beach ??

I have just fixed them on this file (xggc), but they are throughout Snoopy's terrain files.

These are fairly large files and would take up alot of space and time to load (I know space and time are not the separate things we once thought they were :crazyeye: ).

Dark Russell said:
I just mean that the grassland shore should meet the beach shore in a better way. Right now it looks like an indent in the map rather than a cliff. I like it too, but there is always room for improvement (and Jello).

I changed them a bit, tell me what you think.

I was trying to get the look of a past land slide that as since grown over again.

Attachments

• xxpre bluff.jpg
    xxpre bluff.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 749
The problem isn't with the bluff itself, it's that it seems to 'drop' further than the neighboring coastline, below what should be the sea-level.

Edit: The fix would probably be to 'raise' the land behind it, or 'pull' the rockslide back further into the coastline to remove that illusion of depth. It could even be as simple as pulling the coastline around that corner and connecting it to the 'beach'.

eg

Attachments

• bluffs.jpg
    bluffs.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 747
Midnight Piper said:
The problem isn't with the bluff itself, it's that it seems to 'drop' further than the neighboring coastline, below what should be the sea-level.

I'm at a loss then. Help, any idea's or should I just forget the idea.

To me I was thinking that land wasn't that flat and that maybe the grass land altitude would be as low as sea level and would undulate to levels hundreds of fight over sea level. Over a hundred miles (some maps one tile could be 100 miles) levels could change a few hundred feet.

I do like the critique and would want to get it right.

I love the idea. It's just an issue of the tiniest bit of perspective detailing (the same problem I'm having with my desert overlays right now). Check my earlier edit and image, above, for some suggestions. If you need a fresh eye, I'd be happy to try my hand at detaling the pcx and return it to you.

Edit:
Pounder said:
the grass land altitude would be as low as sea level and would undulate to levels hundreds of fight over sea level. Over a hundred miles (some maps one tile could be 100 miles) levels could change a few hundred feet.

Absolutely. In the case of that particular bluff, we can't *see* the land level rising though, which gives that area the illusive perspective of depth. Over on the other bluff, there is a visible rise to the ground level, allowing the viewer to accept the bluff. Its too bad we can't create multi-tile undulations in the land surface.

Midnight Piper said:
I love the idea. It's just an issue of the tiniest bit of perspective detailing (the same problem I'm having with my desert overlays right now). Check my earlier edit and image, above, for some suggestions. If you need a fresh eye, I'd be happy to try my hand at detaling the pcx and return it to you.

Edit:

Absolutely. In the case of that particular bluff, we can't *see* the land level rising though, which gives that area the illusive perspective of depth. Over on the other bluff, there is a visible rise to the ground level, allowing the viewer to accept the bluff. Its too bad we can't create multi-tile undulations in the land surface.

I see what you are saying. Does this help.

Attachments

• xxx.jpg
    xxx.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 747
Yes it does. The sea-level no longer seems to undulate - the land behind it does. Good fix.

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
Is it updated ?

I loaded a second download on post #3 that has both the heavier grass and the bluffs.

Note that I zipped the second file as I wanted to leave the file name unchanged.

@W.i.n.t.e.r

I also cleaned up the black dots on this file on the beaches, but obviously I didn't clean the rest of Snoopys files as there are to many and I wouldn't have the upload space left even if I did clean them.

These bluffs are a great bit of detailing that really improves the look of the coastline. :goodjob:

Edit: sooo, now that this work is done :mischief: - there seems to be a pretty decent outcry in the Tundra Alternative Thread for you to give those tiles your fjords treatment - wouldn't mind seeing both your fjords and bluffs on them myself...

is this based on snoopy, or the original civ grafix?

~edit, relaised it must be snoops, after i loaded up it makes all the coastal tiles funny.

Please could you make this for vanillaciv aswell?

cheers

cheers Pounder!

Top Bottom