Give bad advice

That's what I tend to do. Nukes make excellent pre-builds for Spaceship parts. And if I get to the stage where I can build nukes, I'll be building a spaceship. Plus if an AI annoys me, they won't last long enough to regret it.

But you wouldn't win the game if you built that many nukes. You'd just polute everything and have killed defenders in all the cities.

I know you mentioned the prebuild thing, but do you really prebuild nukes in 1- shield producing highly corrupt towns. I hardly ever uild nukes :smug:. I like to have naval wars and some land wars. I think it costs too much shields. But I do build them sometimes.

But you wouldn't win the game if you built that many nukes. You'd just polute everything and have killed defenders in all the cities.

I know you mentioned the prebuild thing, but do you really prebuild nukes in 1- shield producing highly corrupt towns. I hardly ever uild nukes :smug:. I like to have naval wars and some land wars. I think it costs too much shields. But I do build them sometimes.

By that point in a game I'll already have built tons of Tanks and Infantry, so I can just upgrade for a decent land army. And my Navy should be good enough already, should I require one. So why bother building anything else... It's not like the AI (if say it's a continents game...) are going to be in any kind of position to give me anything more than a minor itch.

Okay I wouldn't be building nukes in all my 1-shield cities, but in my core, yeah, I do. It's not like I'm planning on sticking round on the planet I'm polluting for long, is it?

62. A quick way to build a wonder is to just keep hitting enter.

63. Start playing at the easiest level (Sid) and work your way up to the hardest (Chieftain).

(I realise that the setup screen makes this quite clear)

64. If you are going to do an overseas invasion, land your troops on grassland (this will give you the best combat bonus next turn).

64. If you are going to do an overseas invasion, land your troops on grassland (this will give you the best combat bonus next turn).

Corollary: If you have a choice between landing on the side of the river where there are units or not, choose the side with the units.

65) reload whenever you fail a tech-theft attemt. the ai is only cheating anyway. this will improve your game-play skills.

Here are the "z" rules for this thread:

Z1. Always try immediate steals of technology, careful and safe steals cost too much.

Z2. Stealing techs is the way to go in a no military game

Z3. Don’t bother trading with the AI, it just takes too long to look at that diplomacy screen

Z4. Feudalism is a great government for always war. You don’t have to research an optional tech to get it. The tech that brings medieval infantry and pikes has to be great for war right?

Z5. Give all slave workers back to their rightful owner civs. The AI will like you better.

Z6. Every time you learn a tech that exposes a new resource, make sure you have it in your borders. If you don’t, quit and start a new game. Same goes with any start that does not have a food bonus near the capital, or if an AI unexpectedly attacks. It’s too much work to fight for this stuff anyway.

Z7. Check with your advisors every turn. Always do what they say.

Z8. Anytime a city has an unhappy citizen, starve them out. Unhappy people will ruin productivity so get rid of them now!

Z9. Self-researching techs is the only way to go on deity or Sid level.

Z10. The best use of workers in despotism is to irrigate grasslands. Don't irrigate cows on grass as they might get sick from standing in water. Don't irrigate wheat on grass either as the water will ruin the harvested wheat.

Z11. Don’t connect your cities with roads. That just makes it easier for the AI to take over

Z12. Use workers to defend your cities. A shovel is almost as good as a spear for defense.

Z13. Never build a SOD over 6 high, that way you can always see the little white markers for every unit in the stack.

Z14. Wait until you can actually build a factory before you create a settler factory city.

Z15. When the AI is bearing down on your city, create a riot there. If the city is burning the AI won't want it and will leave you alone.

666. Listen to what Marsden says.

By that point in a game I'll already have built tons of Tanks and Infantry, so I can just upgrade for a decent land army. And my Navy should be good enough already, should I require one. So why bother building anything else... It's not like the AI (if say it's a continents game...) are going to be in any kind of position to give me anything more than a minor itch.

Ok, I know people have different strategies but i've never heard of the nuke rush one that you do.

Okay I wouldn't be building nukes in all my 1-shield cities, but in my core, yeah, I do. It's not like I'm planning on sticking round on the planet I'm polluting for long, is it?

I'm not complaining about the pollution it's just that you need some backup in case the army you built isn't enough and is failing on you. Nukes, however, act more of an addictive artillery. But a really destructive one. When you get nukes you get MA's. I know you'd upgrade all the old tanks but sometimes you don't have enough gold.

And even if you build tanks or artillery in your low shield producing towns, it's not enough to quickly mass produce them. I'm not telling you what to do with your game. It just seems so different than what I would do, nevertheless it's an interesting way to end the game. :mischief: :)

Don't irrigate cows on grass as they might get sick from standing in water.

The AI often follows this advice... Playing PTW (I don't have Conquests) I often find that AI wants to "balance" tile output and mines cows, irrigates coal (if allowed to appear on grasslands in the editor) etc. Another bad advice AI follows:

667. If you have some Cavalry and Riflemen do not stack Riflemen with your Cavalry when fighting a war. You want to bring your fast Cavalry to war front NOW! Who cares about protecting them?

668. You must exercise your attacking units even if you are not fighting a war. Just move them back and forth around your cities, that will help keeping them fit.

669. These Barbarians are truly EVIL! If you see a barbarian camp just one or two units will not suffice do destroy it - you are at WAR with Barbarians, gotcha? Move ALL YOUR ATTACKING FORCE to that camp!

667. If you have some Cavalry and Riflemen do not stack Riflemen with your Cavalry when fighting a war. You want to bring your fast Cavalry to war front NOW! Who cares about protecting them?

This one isn't necessarily bad advice at all. If you have cavs and rifles but not rails, and you want to conquer your enemy as quickly as possible, it's often best not to bring along anything that might slow your cavalry down. It depends on what you consider more important: speed or force preservation.

That's good advice, you want to to attack not defend. draft rifles, or move them after you capture the road-net.

Well, I often pick these AI's Cavalry one by one when they declare war on me. A couple Riflemen in a Cavalry stack would make it more hard. Althrough I agree, the AI's are so stupid sometimes that you can use not the best tactics and get away with it.

myhmonster2 said:
670: I don't need no dern research! I'll conquer the world with my warriors!

This has been done many, many, many times, at Sid too. Admittedly on a tiny map with some very contrived starting conditions, but it's been done :D

Top Bottom