New and Changed Unit Stats

Is this confirmed? So basically it's a glorified religion-spreading device? Blech.
The text makes it a bit confusing. If the Carrack's only advantages over a Caravel is that it can only carry one more scout/explorer/missionary/GP/spy, then it qualifies as the Lamest. UU. Ever.

But, the way that's worded makes it seem like it might be a bit more interesting. It reads
(Unique Unit for Portuguese Empire; Replaces Caravel)
3 Strengths, 3 Movement
* Cargo Space: 2 (Caravel: 1 (can only carry scout, explorer, missionary, spy, or great people))
* Can Explore Rival Territory

If the Carrack can only carry 2 of the same transportable units, I would expect that to look more like:

(Unique Unit for Portuguese Empire; Replaces Caravel)
3 Strengths, 3 Movement
* Cargo Space: 2 (can only carry scout, explorer, missionary, spy, or great people) (Caravel: 1 (can only carry scout, explorer, missionary, spy, or great people))
* Can Explore Rival Territory

So, the way that that is worded might make me think that the Portugese UU can carry ANY unit, and venture the open seas, making it a lightweight Galleon that you get access to @Optics! This would be consistent with the Portugese history as an advanced early seafaring/trading empire, and give a unit that is very, very powerful, particularly on Archipelago, Continents, and (particularly) Terra maps.

Has it been confirmed that the Portugese UU can only carry the same units that the standard Caravel can?

Has it been confirmed that the Portugese UU can only carry the same units that the standard Caravel can?

The full detail article at IGN says the Carrack will be able to carry military units.
You won't be able to found overseas cities earlier, but you can conquer Barbarian cities in the New World on Terra Maps as soon as you have Optics.
Or you can harrass other civs long before they can fight back.

No it's not. They said they were listing the abilities of unique units above that of the replaced units. Maybe they made a mistake but their language was quite clear. No settlers on carracks since settlers are not military units and military units are the only units that a carrack can carry that a caravel can't.

Landsknecht is +100% both to mounted and melee units? That's insane... there is no counter to such a unit. They won't be able to defeat city-entrenched Longbowmen, but in the open field they will be untouchable.

and Muskets

And Modern Armor! :ar15:

:lol:

As for the Carrack, my guess is that Firaxis has added a new tag in the XML that allows a unit to carry any unit that is flagged for Military support... thus barring Settlers and Workers.

So if you've got like 15-20 Carracks loaded up with units, you could sail over to the next continent and acquire rather than found some new cities through the age old art of kickin' ass.

The text makes it a bit confusing. If the Carrack's only advantages over a Caravel is that it can only carry one more scout/explorer/missionary/GP/spy, then it qualifies as the Lamest. UU. Ever.

But, the way that's worded makes it seem like it might be a bit more interesting. It reads

If the Carrack can only carry 2 of the same transportable units, I would expect that to look more like:

So, the way that that is worded might make me think that the Portugese UU can carry ANY unit, and venture the open seas, making it a lightweight Galleon that you get access to @Optics! This would be consistent with the Portugese history as an advanced early seafaring/trading empire, and give a unit that is very, very powerful, particularly on Archipelago, Continents, and (particularly) Terra maps.

yes, exactly.
it was a little bit misleading, sorry.
i will fix it

edit:
fixed

'%§$% it seems they "closed" the new info thread!
couldn't finish to update my thread with the new infos...

i read something about the interception chance of fighters.
depends the interception chance of fighters on the hp of the airplane??
(some1 has a backup of the post?)

The "closing" method they used on that thread makes me think you shouldn't try to copy information out of it.

i read something about the interception chance of fighters.
depends the interception chance of fighters on the hp of the airplane??

About the fghters: a 100% intercept chance, if they're at full health.

So suppose there are are four fighters, each at 50% health (let's just assume that translates to a 50% intercept chance each); what would be the chance that your bomber would be intercepted? Does only one fighter (with the highest intercept%) get the chance to intercept, and if he fails, your bomber is through?

About the fghters: a 100% intercept chance, if they're at full health.

So suppose there are are four fighters, each at 50% health (let's just assume that translates to a 50% intercept chance each); what would be the chance that your bomber would be intercepted? Does only one fighter (with the highest intercept%) get the chance to intercept, and if he fails, your bomber is through?

good question, next question!

how dose it works in warlords if you have 3 sam infantry in one city and the first sam infantry didn't intercept the attacking fighter? will the second sam try to intercept or does this mean a successful fighter attack?

I forsee the HRE unique unit (I can't spell it) being used with great effect in conjunction with their UB (although their traits are absolutely AWFUL).

Top Bottom