• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Emancipation buffed in BtS?

I also hate this in my current game some cities were -9 due to emancipation. The critso redentor sounds like a good trick to counter it.

@ SlipperyJim now you're forced to use a different civic for no reason.

@ jpk1187 lets see your game setup checks: man up or shut up

to date:

I have never switched to Emancipation, without being forced by either unhappy faces or requested by another leader or by UN resolution.

It does not present a greater advantage than Caste System, esp in BtS

I agree with Mewtarthio & QBurrito city maintiance is what it should affect. Cause if you play it out, at some point every tile you want to be a town, will be.

Then the civic is wasted at that point.

My word, I've never seen such a collection of whiny little brats as some of the posters in this forum. Everyone always complains about rules changes that mess up their "perfect" strategy. If what you've done before doesn't work, try something else. Sorry, the rules discourage you from running slavery as easily all the way to the launching of the spacecraft. Obviously, it can still be done, but it requires more work on your part. You have two choices: (a) deal with it or (b) like it.

Or, as I mentioned earlier, the Care Bears await those who prefer sandbox play.....

My word, I've never seen such a collection of whiny little brats as some of the posters in this forum. Everyone always complains about rules changes that mess up their "perfect" strategy. If what you've done before doesn't work, try something else. Sorry, the rules discourage you from running slavery as easily all the way to the launching of the spacecraft. Obviously, it can still be done, but it requires more work on your part. You have two choices: (a) deal with it or (b) like it.

Or, as I mentioned earlier, the Care Bears await those who prefer sandbox play.....

Exactly how is it fair to be forced into one particular style of play for no good reason?
Maybe they should change it so that you get automatically nuked if you have more than 10 population. Hey, it's the rules man! I'm sorry if they discourage you.

solution 1: Create many spies and convert the world to your civics.

Solution 2: Build u pa big enough army for everyone to fear you. then DESTROY

And you're not whining?

I don't particularly like being forced into something, especially since I also think Emancipation is a weak civic, but I have no real problems running it.

I see Emancipation as kind of a checks and balances thing - so you can't have everything. You can't have huge cities AND the benefits of slavery or caste AND so on (or without a lot of effort/luck/whatever). You *could* do caste forever if you keep your cities smaller and have tons of happy resources, for ex.

Exactly how is it fair to be forced into one particular style of play for no good reason?
What? The rest of the world believes in Human Rights and now my people expect them, too?

You know, historically, the expectations of the masses changed over time to the point where they expected their governments to treat them with a modicum of respect. When they didn't get it, they voiced their displeasure. Civ has a mechanism that mirrors that. Isn't that a plus?

And, for the record, you are not being 'forced' to do anything. You can run whatever economy you choose -- and like every other choice you make in any game, there are plusses and minuses to that choice. If you want to run Caste System, be prepared to up your culture slider and build more happy buildings and/or trade for more happy resources.

You want to buy your people off by running Emancipation, find another way to do whatever it was that Caste Sytem was doing for you.

All civics have pros and cons. The appearance of Emancipation means that there is a higher opportunity cost for the other Labor civics. It is part of the game. It is the same or everybody. And, :eek:, it's even historically representative.

Please: stop feeding the troll, it only grows in supidity.

No other civic is forced on the player too the extent that emancipation is. There isn't a money crises that causes the people to demand free market.
Or a faith uprising that demands free religion. So why emancipation??

Because emancipation represents progress. Free religion is not practiced in many parts of the world. Universal suffrage is certainly not universal. Free market is actually quite rare. Free speech too is suppressed in many countries. Emancipation however, is universal. With the exception of slaver settlements and sex slaves (neither government backed) Emancipation is universal. The game mirrors reality. Emancipation was created the same way in the game as in reality. I like it being pushed toward you. You must modernize yourself.

Yeah, mirrors reality. Each leader leading a civ (and not dying) for 6500 years.

Wow. That was a wonderful argument. The difference is, one is good for gameplay (not having to change leaderhead every 1/1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000th of a second) as opposed to representing something that can be resisited, yet is pushed.

It doesn't mesh well with the food corporations too. You want to run merchants in your sushi city to get a profit, but you're limited to 3 or 4 from buildings in Emancipation.

Besides it's the principle of the thing, I don't like being forced to choose a civic because of some malcontented rabble.

Umm, isn't that the principle behind it? Let's face it: would any nation in the world willingly give up slave labor were it not for malcontented rabble? Why would anybody in their right mind give up free workers except because of the threat that these guys just might revolt and kill some of their masters? (The only exception I can think of right now is the British Empire, and if memory serves that had a lot to do with religious principles. ;))

You could also consider abolitionists part of the angry populace, so it might not be the slaves themselves who are angry, but the enlightened elites.

Kill off at least two civs and it won't be too bad.

People generally prefer carrots to sticks. All other civics in the game give you a positive benefit for using them whereas the main benefit of Emancipation is to avoid the unhappiness.

Since the whole purpose of a game is to have fun rather than to be annoyed or frustrated I'd certainly welcome more carrot and less stick to the Emancipation civic.

Zhahz sig says it best: Civ IV is just a game - not a simulation of reality

I realize that it is a natural coarse the game takes and I have to compensate just like building temples and what not if my population gets too large.

But there is nothing else like this game mechanic in the game. Nothing else in this entire program is engineered to lead the player down a certain path.

I know this game thrives on "tough choices" but this is thrust upon you with such force that the civic should be 'worth' it for the long haul. because it is assumed that you will never switch out of this civic.

How about make it also have the rush buy ability so you are free to go to representation. Just a thought.

A simple solution would be for someone to mod in a checkbox for disable Emancipation Penalty. Although, I feel, it adds to the gameplay, others seem to truly dislike it. I would have no problem with the option being presented. I, myself, deal with the :mad: penalty by trading resources and whipping the crap out of my population. Build a battleship with slaves. That'll shut 'em up. :)

I think it is fine as is. Like others have said, you can still choose to run other civics, you just need to compensate. I personally always do emancipation, just because I Like to progress my civ and I don't want the unhappiness. But I don't complain about this. Its legitimate that your civilization would get unruly if others were free.

It is true that in real life, slavery is a no no among the largest nations.
But then, in real life nukes utterly devastate cities and leave them uninhabitable for years.
In real life foreign countries do not get away with a mere slap on the wrist if they're poisoning an entire city's water supply.
In real life knowledge of mass media cannot be arbitrarily withheld from another nation until they discover it for themselves.
In real life we haven't sent humans beyond the lunar orbit, let alone to Alpha Centauri.

So please stop with the goddamn "it's realistik!!!" excuse. Civ is not and never has been a life simulator.

Top Bottom