So What Happened British Empire?

Probably because they wanted to include the celts,welsh etc. later

Would someone like to explain, in carefully constructed, logical sentences, why to the best of their knowledge "England" was chosen over "Britain"?

I suppose that ""England" was chosen over "Britain" because it was united first. Furthermore, England , like many of the Civilizations and great empires in this game, has a popular language named after it.

Now I understand why Roman Numerals didn't stand the test of time ( I've tried multiplying with them, forget long division and square roots), and why Latin lacks in popularity ( too complex - "Romans go home!"), but I don't understand why it was called Latin:D

I propose a compromise; we rename the English Empire to the Nitpickers' Empire. End of discussion.

Oh, and as an American, all I know about foreign countries I learned from Hollywood- and according to Braveheart (the ending, anyway.... Mel Gibson's final mutterings notwithstanding), Scotland IS a part of England ;).

It's surely not true, they were just been controled by the English Power, but I meant you could say they could be both related to a single kind of cultural identity ----- Old English culture

First of all I would like to apologise to the Americans on this board for some of my countrymens comments. How we can accuse another country of cultural ignorance just astounds me. There is no reason why anybody has to know the difference between England and Britain. Perhaps if you have Welsh,Scots or Irish ancestors it may be relevant.
For my part I would like to see the English civ become more English by removing Victoria and Churchill and perhaps adding Henry VIII and Alfred the Great. Then create a separate British Empire with Victoria and perhaps some Aussie or Canadian leaders such as MacKenzie King, Menzies etc .The Empire civ could have London and England could have Lundenwic as capital. The city list would include names from around the Empire.
Not original I know.

I just want to point out that I did not bash England in my post. I love the country and have tremendous respect for it as a whole. My problem with this thread is the approach the OP took toward the United States; more specifically, the mention that the US is ignorant of the meaning behind the word "British" as opposed to "English." I dont know how many countries this game has been released in, but I dont think they would purposely misrepresent GB simply because Americans "are ignorant of the difference between British and English" (largely paraphrased quote there). Afterall, if we do not know the difference, why would Firaxis make the distinction simply to please Americans?

These comments simply lend to more bashing, then an idiot American, who has no idea what they are talking about posts counter-bashing messages. Its cyclical and dumb. I place the both bashers on the same level.

Also, sorry to disturb so many people with the "could care less" comment. Correction noted.

Edit: Lacaixa, well said my friend. It is very frustrating to read posts that bash Americans for our ignorance of the outside world. For the most part, I truly wonder what these people know about our part of the world. Do they take the time to study our history in as much depth as they expect Americans to study theirs? To me, it is very much the same as the stereotypical American that says, "America is the greatest country in the world!" without ever leaving this country.

Dubzilla8.... It really frustrates and annoys me when people make casual bashing comments as the thread starter clearly did. England gets a lot of this aimed at us and English posters should know better than to aim it at others .

Lol? I'm not sure if you're being highly ironic or just truly ignorant if you think scotland, wales and northern ireland are english :p And also English is NOT the same as British.

They are all separate countries yaype, Think of England as part of the UK and the UK as a group of united countries.

First off, let me say that I appreciate both of your responses. Despite my apparently coming across as serious in my ignorance, neither of you were arrogant in your responses. That is not something that can be said about many posters here.

Second, I did in fact know that Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are separate from England, and that English is NOT the same as British. I was hoping the rolling eyes (sarcastic) would get that point across, but the wonderful smilies failed me. I was simply trying to mock the assertion that Americans are a bunch of oafs ignorant of the world beyond their borders.

I find the English Empire just fine, as Celts represent Ireland and Scotland IMO.

Care to argue differently other than post some silly smilies?

Look at the mess they left India in after their hasty departure, the slavery trade in Africa and other misseries, Highland clearances.. the English do not have such a rosy history imo. Your own continent as well...

Because you are angry and I'm not going to humour you by giving in to your biased arguments.

I think English is most appropriate for all three leaders because it would be wrong for Elizabeth to be of Britain.

But for Victoria and Churchill it's still ok for them to be from England.

Keep in mind that when Victoria was queen she was also queen of Ireland and Empress of India. Are we now also going to include those titles or civilization descriptions?

Fact is, she was Queen of England first and foremost. Had for some reason Scotland split from England in the 19th century, Victoria would've been Queen of England not Scotland. So that's the reason why she can and should be still Victoria of England.

British Empire under the St Georges cross.. sounds about right.

Who would really want the Butchers Apron in the game anyway?

Hardly a highlight of civilization, quite the opposite.

The English wanted an empire, however they ended up with an empire that they didn't really want.

What an angry person you are.
I am proud to be British. For a group of small nations jammed into a small space, we have had a large impact on world history.
I feel no guilt for anything perpertrated by my forebears (or yours). Though there are some accomplishments I feel rightly proud of.
I personally am of mixed scot and welsh ancestry, but was born and raised in England (and now live in Tennessee..go figure). Ergo I identify with all 3.
Finally, the English didn't want an Empire. They wanted resources and wealth. The empire was a byblow from efforts to obtain them. After all the driving force in English culture has always been.. "What's in it for us ? " ;)

Care to argue differently other than post some silly smilies?

Look at the mess they left India in after their hasty departure, the slavery trade in Africa and other misseries, Highland clearances.. the English do not have such a rosy history imo. Your own continent as well...

Actually the highland clearances were actually carried out by highland chieftains who need the land for more profitable sheep I think it was. Not right I think, but it was not the English.

The british empire = english empire. The english thought calling their empire the british empire would disguise their supremacy thus making the subject peoples less anti-empire. Really Wales, Scotland, etc are every bit as much conquored subjects as India and the rest were.

Wales yes, Scotland no (Political and Economic Union), Ireland yes..
I guess you could say Scotland was conquered economically, but then they turned it back. If it wasn't for the Scots, Adam Smith, and a bunch of others, the Empire would not have been what it was.

Mind you, the only real reason is political correctness.

Yeah, too bad really isn't it?

What an angry person you are.
I am proud to be British. For a group of small nations jammed into a small space, we have had a large impact on world history.
I feel no guilt for anything perpertrated by my forebears (or yours). Though there are some accomplishments I feel rightly proud of.
I personally am of mixed scot and welsh ancestry, but was born and raised in England (and now live in Tennessee..go figure). Ergo I identify with all 3.
Finally, the English didn't want an Empire. They wanted resources and wealth. The empire was a byblow from efforts to obtain them. After all the driving force in English culture has always been.. "What's in it for us ? " ;)

I think though the Empire grew on them, by the later periods it was Empire for Empire sake.

And I wish I was British, I do descend from a bunch (English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish) but I live in Canada. They say that one of my ancestors got land from William the Conqueror for distinguished conduct at Hastings..

But what would I give to live back in the Empire? A lot, it would have been something.. Being part of the greatest Empire ever, in My humble opinion..

Dubzilla8.... It really frustrates and annoys me when people make casual bashing comments as the thread starter clearly did. England gets a lot of this aimed at us and English posters should know better than to aim it at others .

Heyya Lacaixa, I was just wondering what kind of bashing England gets from posters around here and who typically makes the comments? Honestly, I cant recall England getting bashed at all, but I imagine its because I simply dont recognize it like I recognize America bashing. I do notice a lot of French bashing as well.

Heyya Lacaixa, I was just wondering what kind of bashing England gets from posters around here and who typically makes the comments? Honestly, I cant recall England getting bashed at all, but I imagine its because I simply dont recognize it like I recognize America bashing. I do notice a lot of French bashing as well.

Soneji always has a bit of a go if he gets the chance. But to be fair we've been at war with/occupied most countries in our time so there are a lot of grudges still out there.

I'd say England was picked because it was in the original Civilization game with Elizabeth I the monarch. If Elizabeth I was really a British Monarch and not an English Monarch then my history books need to be burned and replaced with the revised version.

In any case, I would be strongly surprised if any of the original civilizations had their name altered and while I haven't checked I'm pretty sure its not the case. They almost have to bring that forward for consistency even if it makes it a historical error in some cases like Victoria then so be it. Anyway its just a game and very easily modified one as well so if it bothers anyone then its easily remedied.

I think I saw that. IIRC, he asked his wife or whoever to send him some new underpants. (No joke.)

I honestly don't understand why so many people object to having "British" instead of "English"... All I've seen so far in this forum is a bunch of rambling, incessant arguing, and one literary genius whose sole response is to say that "Britain sucks the yoke out of the devils arse thats why.." Would someone like to explain, in carefully constructed, logical sentences, why to the best of their knowledge "England" was chosen over "Britain"?

Thanks, I know I'm in for the Booker prise someday :)

I couldn't say why England was chosen over Britain, as I do not care. I just would hate to see the British Flag in this game.

Mind you, the only real reason is political correctness. It's not enough that Scotland and Wales have their own parliaments (while England does not. No the British parliament does NOT count) now they want to be seen as independant countries to boot! Describing something as "British" is almost a dirty word these days.

Stuff and nonsense I say. What those Scots and Welshies need is another invasion to shut them up.

Wrong, you fail. Scotland has a parliament, as does Ireland.

Wales has an assembely.

Look -> http://www.wales.gov.uk/

How about we come rolling down to York again? :)

Top Bottom