Excellent Firefox Addons

LucyDuke

staring at the clock
Spin-off Aimee's thread...

Firefox users! What are your favorite addons? Why do you like them so much?

The ones I use (on this computer, anyway):

Adblock Plus: Seriously, who doesn't use adblock?

AutoCopy: Like in mIRC, this copies to the clipboard automatically any text you highlight.

Chatzilla: I prefer mIRC at home, but this is good and stealthy when I need to use IRC at work.

Extended Statusbar: This just gives you extra info on your loading times and such.

FireFTP: Fully-functional FTP client that lives inside FireFox. I like it because I know exactly where it is.

Long Titles: This prevents tooltips from breaking off after one line.

Mouse Gestures Redox: Mouse gestures are awesome.

Screengrab!: This lets you save an entire web page as a single image file. It's great when you don't want to have to take multiple screenshots and then photoshop them together.

Tab Mix Plus: This has a ton of tab features. A TON. I love it. Most aren't useful, but you can tell it which features to leave out of the right-click menu.

TabRenamizer: This lets you rename tabs and assign different favicons. Very very useful for stealth mode at work.

Tiny Menu: This lets you compress the menu bar into one button. You can leave certain menus (eg bookmarks) out of the compression. Good to maximize useful screen real estate.

:cowboy:

What are your favorites?

IE Tab -- For when that site just wont work in FF

NoScript -- Blocks all scripts with a configurable whitelist. Makes surfing a lot easier if you visit a lot of media-rich sites ( including ones with a lot of ads)

Foxmarks, to backup and sync bookmarks between computers. Also great for accessing them online, and sharing your bookmarks with friends.

Stop Autoplay, does as it says, can also block flash if you enable it. Blocking flash stops annoying ads that speak or play annoying muskc or whatever.

BookmarkDD, finds duplicate bookmarks, but sometimes gets annoying when you use lots of tags in FF3.

ImageShack Toolbar, upload your pictures to imageshack easily, also logins to your account and uploads to it.

PDF Download, gives you choice on if you want to open or save a PDF file.

ColorfulTabs, make the tabs all colorful!

I remember reading that the imageshack toolbar was sort of crappy. Does it work well for you?

Also, is there any practical use for colorful tabs? Do you organize your stuff with them or is it just for the hell of it? Also I worry that it would not play well with Tab Mix Plus.

Flagfox - Kind of useless, but it tells you the location of a websites server.

StumbleUpon - Helps you find new websites that interest you.

Download Statusbar - Moves the downloads to a toolbar at the bottom of firefox instead of opening up a new window.

I don't use AdBlock! I like adverts :)

Do you need the Long Titles thing anymore? FF 3.x seems to have much longer titles than 2.x, but I'm not sure if they are as long as in IE (or as long as the full tooltip!).

Personally, I only use Tab Mix Plus and Research Word. With the latter, you can highlight some text, right click on it, and search for that text in a variety of search engines and websites, like Wiki, various dictionaries, youtube, IMDB, amazon, and a bunch of other stuff. It's just easier than having to c&p it into the search thingy in the top right.

I remember reading that the imageshack toolbar was sort of crappy. Does it work well for you?

It works well, but sometimes you get error when uploading multiple pictures. But if you have account and go into it, the pictures are there.

Also, is there any practical use for colorful tabs? Do you organize your stuff with them or is it just for the hell of it? Also I worry that it would not play well with Tab Mix Plus.
It helps you tell which tab is which, and better looking. You can also set it up so certain domains have certain colors, but I don't do that. When I'm bored, I try to keep opening tabs with the same site until I get one that goes along with the color scheme.

Flagfox - Kind of useless, but it tells you the location of a websites server.

I love flagfox.

I like forcastfox, you player, and flash block a lot too.

ForecastFox
flagfox
leetkey(does a lot more than teenager typing skills)
Foxmarks
StumbleUpon
Adblock Plus
DownloadThemAll!
TabMixPlus
various video downloaders, whichever one seems to work best at the moment.

AdBlock.

CoolIRIS- Enables you to preview a web page and explore it before opening it.

RoxyTunes- Control WMP

FlashGot- Enables you to download all downloadable media on a page at once, perfect for when I want to grab an entire gallery of images.

And Flashblock for blocking all those annoying flash animation ads.

Fast Dial - similar to Opera's Speed Dial
Firebug awesome weg debugging tool
Web of Trust Warns you against risky websites
Sage lightweight RSS feed aggregator
Fireshot screenshot tool that allows you directly to edit/crop the shot taken

Since upgrading to FF3, I've started using the Firefox 2 Theme. I couldn't stand those Kindergarten buttons that they switched to in FF3. "Full power of new gecko engine with a good old Firefox 2 face" as the advert says ...

GooglePreview: It gives an icon of the site next to it on the google search, helps avoid nasty sites ;)
Stealther: Allows me to turn off my history, cookies, cache, etc just by clicking a little icon, very useful when creating web pages for my website
Undo Closed Tabs: I have a tendency to want to access a tab I closed lol

Undo Closed Tabs: I have a tendency to want to access a tab I closed lol

TabMixPlus has that feature. ;) I had so many different addons addressing tabs that they were beginning to interfere with each other, but this one has all the features and none of the conflict.

Well, I never could find that one. Should try it though.

EDIT: Its for older FF browsers.
EDIT: Arrrg, why can't they put a link instead of just putting the URL! There is a copy for 3.0.

Top Bottom