G-Minor 78

pholtz

King
As far as autorazing, wouldn't it be better to set the no city razing option? Especially since there is no reason to attack any city unless you want it.

pholtz

King
OK, I gave up on my first attempt. Too few cities. I think maybe Darius is best with his traits increasing income and holding down expenses. I also made many mistakes. Among them:

1 - not building the oracle soon enough. No, an AI didn't beat me to it, I got Education off of it :lol:. But my city that build the oracle never did create a great prophet, so I never got a shrine built to help with the income. Managing my Great People production is something I am still learning.

2 - stopping my expanding too soon, or not picking it up for a second period. Expenses got bad, I had to stop and recover, and never got going again.

Does anyone know what affects what you get from huts? It seemed that in my first attempt, with Maya and on Highlands, I got lots of Warriors, along with settlers. Now, I've tried a few times with Persia on Terra, and I get lots of workers and settlers, but no warriors at all? Is it because of the map change? the leader change? Not that getting setters and workers is bad ;), but I was hoping for a warrior to walk into an AI city and take it. Perhaps I shouldn't worry about that and just make sure I get an early horse and take the cities by force with immortals.

unclethrill

Why am I up right now?
How long can you pop huts before the game decides you have gone long enough and it ends? I know that on turn 11, the game has killed me off before if I had no cities but I also know that some people have popped huts and gotten 15 or more settlers before they start settling. Does anyone know the actual dynamics of this?

I just played about 55 turns and it just kept going. Unfortunately, I only popped 2 settlers and 3 workers (the 6 scouts and 1000 Gold are mostly worthless) so trying again.

billybgame

King
I have hut popping questions, myself. And, a general game question.

In my game, (which won't be great, but it won't be terrible, so I continue on), a very odd thing occurred.

Had 9 civs with Terra map type. All 9 of us where on the same continent. Started exploring the high seas, eventually, and quite a ways out, found a very large, completely empty continent. Two actually, with another smaller one. I do not believe I've ever seen this. Did the game screw up, somehow? Just seemed odd to have the sardines in a can effect on my continent, and these empty ones, with great city locations aplenty.

So, when my explorer got there, I started finding many huts. All told 16 more, in the early ADs, I guess. I was thinking I'd get me some settlers, for sure. In the end, I got:

6 workers, 5 gold, 2 experience, 1 warrior and 1 measly settler. One technology(Astronomy!), so that was nifty. But, man, I sure thought I'd get a lot more settlers than that. Or, more techs.

Guess I've never done that many huts to try and get a read on percentages, but I sure felt unlucky. Though, the workers sure help, as I'm building cities left and right there, now.

ShannonCT

Deity
Had 9 civs with Terra map type. All 9 of us where on the same continent. Started exploring the high seas, eventually, and quite a ways out, found a very large, completely empty continent. Two actually, with another smaller one. I do not believe I've ever seen this. Did the game screw up, somehow? Just seemed odd to have the sardines in a can effect on my continent, and these empty ones, with great city locations aplenty.

I guess you haven't played much Terra. Terra is supposed to mimic history on Earth. "Civilized" people arise in the Old World, and when they are significantly advanced, they sail to the underpopulated New World full of "barbarians" and strange resources.

Guess I've never done that many huts to try and get a read on percentages, but I sure felt unlucky. Though, the workers sure help, as I'm building cities left and right there, now.

When huts are capable of giving techs, you only have a 10% chance of popping a settler from a hut. When no techs are available, you have a greater chance of popping settlers.

narri

Warlord
So far I have a 1050 AD with Darius on low sea level Inland Sea. Popped something like 8 settlers in total, but I mucked up my decision-making in the midgame/endgame (started my golden ages too soon because I was lured by the Sports League quest (9 Coliseums + Statue of Zeus = Golden Age), so I was just starting my engines as the GA's ended :cry: ). I also automated those workers too much until it was time to massively chop the engines.

I really need to learn to have the patience to deal with those workers manually every turn (and learn to pre-chop!).

billybgame

King
So far I have a 1050 AD with Darius on low sea level Inland Sea. Popped something like 8 settlers in total, but I mucked up my decision-making in the midgame/endgame (started my golden ages too soon because I was lured by the Sports League quest (9 Coliseums + Statue of Zeus = Golden Age), so I was just starting my engines as the GA's ended :cry: ). I also automated those workers too much until it was time to massively chop the engines.

I really need to learn to have the patience to deal with those workers manually every turn (and learn to pre-chop!).

And, me, I need to learn to trust automating my workers, to speed up my games. I just can't do it...don't trust them, so I micromanage.

iggymnrr

Deity
Interesting gauntlet. Darius is a standout choice of leaders. Financial is great for a space race but that starting scout --hunting-- is king. Speed is of the essence for a gauntlet and on settler where you don't need to settle until turn 18-20 a starting scout is absolutely fantastic. You won't pop tech --hunting-- until you settle but if you start with hunting you will pop scouts in addition to settlers/workers. You do start with an extra tech or two on settler but none of the other financial civs start with hunting. Otherwise Elizabeth --philosophical at marathon speed-- would be a nice plus. (The game that inspired this gauntlet had a fair amount of bulbing.)

The downside to Darius is that a UU isn't really necessary at settler level and therefore Darius' UU is somewhat wasted. But then about the only UU that wouldn't be too wasted would be a fast worker ... The UB for Darius is okay for settler but I'd prefer a mint or stock exchange.

At any rate I gave Darius a go and managed a pre-1000 AD win and 299741 points. The score is unnecessary for the gauntlet but before this game I hadn't broken 100k. I'm still a little new to BTS, settler level and marathon speed. Also the new BUFFY mod has a higher learning curve and I would not be surprised if I did something wrong setting up the game. Buffy's civilopedia is great for me but mapfinder ... I also could not get the prechop to work.

Curiously, the site for my capitol had no resources, only one food plain .. or maybe it was a desert. I didn't farm it. I also didn't pop more than 5-6 settlers.

@narri
You can chop spaceship parts?

narri

Warlord
@narri
You can chop spaceship parts?

Oh hell yeah! It's especially beautiful on parts that get +100% production for having the proper resource. Even better, you can chop while a city is building research, and those hammers are applied later on to whatever physical thing you build next.

Got a 925 AD game just now, though the golden ages at the end ended a few turns too soon once again (ironically, I popped too many engineers to get a 4GP Golden Age, when for half the game I was trying to pop one for Mining Inc.). I don't think I'll have another try at this gauntlet (that was my 6th full game for this gauntlet, I think).

iggymnrr

Deity
@Cabert, AutomatedTeller, narri

Thanks! I did some testing with non-hunting civs. After 20 consecutive "hut pops" I failed to get a single scout or settler. Its almost like owning the hunting tech gives you an edge popping huts even without a scout. Makes me think Peter (hunting/non-financial) might be worth a try. My Darius game was 880 AD and I used Cereal Mills. Peter's UB (lab-with-2-free-scientists) is well placed: Cereal Mills is "on the way."

But part of me wants to try Asoka's fast worker. It's values seems to go up at settler/marathon. (I chopped till I dropped.)

@narri
Sorry you didn't get Mining Inc. I had that corp too but if you can chop spaceship parts it is a little over-rated.

narri

Warlord
Actually, iggymnrr, I ended up getting both Cereal Mills and Mining Inc (+14 hammers isn't overrated at all when I still have a few infrastructure things to do). It's just that I kept getting engineers afterwards when I wanted anything else! Maybe next game I'll skip the UB and the supermarket in cities that don't need the food (but I find it hard to pass up +6 health then +3-4 health and +1 food in the late game) and go straight to research. That, or hope I pop double digit settlers ;)

iggymnrr

Deity
@narri

Good! You got it. My feeling during my game was that Mining Inc. was more useful for racking up the score than for gauntlet speed and I was getting like 29 hammers from it. On the other hand Cereal Mills allowed me to save a ton of cash, switch an engine producing city to the space ladder for 5 turns and then plunk down $45000 to finish it. This was much faster than what Mining Inc. could do by itself. Two chops can get you 180 hammers which may make Mining Inc. overkill and that engineer better spent on the space ladder. But I was playing on a no seafood highlands which meant more grain and metals due to lack of large water lakes.

At any rate, I will make one more attempt with a highlands map of some sort with one of 3 hunting-financial/philosophical leaders. Frederick with a seafood map or Darius/Peter with seafood optional one. Frederick has no health bonuses, hence seafood.

Of course seafood does mean the Collosus and good early finance at the expense of less hut popping and weaker corps.

Note: Looking at the above logic, it appears that if seafood is optional than either Darius or Peter is the way to go.

unclethrill

Why am I up right now?

narri

Warlord
I usually wait until turn 20 or so, by which time I've mapped out quite a few city spots.

iggymnrr

Deity
@Ozbenno
Congrats with Asoka! I just don't have the nerve to try. Looks like the fast worker gets better on settler even though it really shines on quick speed at higher levels.

@ unclethrill
Thanks.

I abandoned further effort in this gauntlet. Tried to farm water tiles in my last try. All civ'ed out.

Top Bottom