World Wonders – Suggestions / Requests

Well you are making a valid argument, we disagree only on how much of that unique historical Egyptian culture should be represented in Civ.

Extreme uniqueness would be following history of Ancient Egypt as closely as possible within games rules and losing to Rome after the battle of Actium, or something like that. But most of us wanna some more choices, like, say, winning against Rome or playing with Aztecs Americans as neighbors or choosing from a wide variety of Wonders (as opposed to only historical Egyptian Wonders). Not to mention that nobody wants to lose the game in BC era :)

For me, one unique unit and one unique building plus unique graphics style and historical Egyptian leaders is about enough. For you?

And yes, Chinese Pyramids are similar to Egyptian ones in form (pyramid form :p ) and function (mausoleum). Not identical, but truly similar. That's of course besides the point.

P.S. The good thing about the game as it is, is that you can follow the True Egyptian Way to some extent. Build Pyramids, The Great Lighthouse and, well, lose to Augustus of Rome :)

I don't like the idea of civ specific wonders, but I disagree that civ specific things are bad in general. It's nice when civs get advantages that encourage them to more closely resemble their historic counterpart. Make the vikings good at naval combat, the Mongols good horsemen, and the Aztecs warmongers.

But civ specific wonders would eliminate the pressure to build the wonder as early as possible. It'd effectively be a delayed civ trait.

I understand Civ is not Age of Empires, it isn't supposed to be historically accurate. That's why we get the USA warring in BC era, Aztecs developing nukes and Julius Caesar negotiating with Bismarck. OK.

If Civilization is such a big 'what-if', maybe it would be better if you played with an unnamed, customizable civilization - you would choose your own leader, UUs and UBs - against other unnamed fictional civilizations. That could be interesting - you would have millions of combinations to try and master. However, the game developers chose to go with real historical civilizations. As so, there must be civ-specific traits, based on their history and historical achievements - otherwise, as some people stated, civs would be different just by name, and the game would be dull.

Since there must be civ-specific traits, which also adds more interest to gameplay and encourages players to experiment different civilizations, I think it wouldn't be too much to include also civ-specific wonders (notice that I didn't say 'to replace world wonders with civ-specific wonders'). In my opinion, it would not be pushing it too much towards historical accuracy, and it would add more uniqueness to civs, resulting in a more varied and diverse gameplay.

Also, as a bonus, it could fix some nonsense like your civilization being hinduist and building Christ the Redeemer.

The House of Wisdom ... perhaps something like the Great Library for the Middle Ages.

Mogao Caves. We need more central Asian stuff

Colosseum . A big problem I have with the current wonders is there are too many Greco-Roman wonders, but this is one that's justified (unlike the MoM and SoZ). No idea why they decided to make it a building for Civ4 ... I think maybe they were confusing it with Amphitheater or Stadium or something.

Colosseum. A big problem I have with the current wonders is there are too many Greco-Roman wonders, but this is one that's justified (unlike the MoM and SoZ). No idea why they decided to make it a building for Civ4 ... I think maybe they were confusing it with Amphitheater or Stadium or something.

While I agree that Colosseum should gain proper wonder status, while its' "slot" could be taken with generic Amphitheater, I found it necessary to point you into direction of Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Both MoM and SoZ are in there.

On point of civ-specific wonders — I probably won't play this game if they are in. Because this idea is just that horrible. Sure, some difference between civilizations is fun and all that (though I still believe that there should be a gameplay mode erasing all differences, UUs, UBs and leader traits), but unique wonders is too much.

Maybe, just maybe, some civilizations could have 25% bonus to completion of certain wonders, like it's easier for Egyptians to grab Pyramids. But I think this is still wrong idea.

I don't think I like the iodea of civ specific wonders. That takes away the need to build it asap.
I do like the idea of some wonders giving a bonus to their original civ. But on the other hand, there are more wonders for Greece then for Mali.

I am not big fan of civ specific wonders. They might make sense in certain scenarios but otherwise it can make the game too deterministic.

Love the LHC wonder idea. Sort of like a modern great library. But the downside with all modern wonders is that they have to have a huge benefit in oder to be worthwhile.

Some other ideas

Along similar lines as the LHC – a Space Station could be a good wonder. Probably makes the most sense as a Nat Wonder that increases Spaceship part construction. It could probably also gives a boost to Science. The same could go for a Moon and/or Mars base.

What do people think about the Empire State Building as a world wonder? It represents the 1st real skyscraper and is still one of the world’s taller buildings. It would probably be best as a commerce booster of some sort.

Yucca Mtn could be an interesting national wonder. Maybe it eliminates the threat of nuke meltdowns. Or it could just cause political chaos in one’s nation.

While I agree that Colosseum should gain proper wonder status, while its' "slot" could be taken with generic Amphitheater, I found it necessary to point you into direction of Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Both MoM and SoZ are in there.

This is a ancient Greek list (invented before the Colosseum was even built). It's just a list of places to visit for Greek tourists and travelers in the Hellenistic Age. Anything not visitable (i.e. not around the Mediterranean), or not there (not build yet, unknown) wouldn't have been on the list. Why should we care about it? An ancient Greek tourist site list is no reason to spam the game with Greek wonders ... :)

Also, as a bonus, it could fix some nonsense like your civilization being hinduist and building Christ the Redeemer.
Or being Christians and building Moai. Or being Muslims and building Pyramids. Or being buddhists and building Sistine Chappel. I mean, a good half of wonders are religion based. Besides, there will be no religions in vanilla civ 5.

You're crazy, I couldn't disagree more. The more things Firaxis does to make Civs unique, the more fun the game is. I would definitely not play the game if each Civ was the same; I like civs having special abilities and bonuses that reflect their historical precedents. The Civs bonuses should reflect the histories of those Civs. It adds to the game's replayability when each Civ has different bonuses, units, buildings, etc.

If you want to customize your Civ more instead of have it be historical, then you can simply mod it how you want. That's not hard to do.

Did you play Civ 1 & 2 at all? All differences were name only and those were two of the best games ever made.

I also agree with the LHC as a wonder, but I suggest we don't discuss wonder effects until we at least know how economiy and great people will function in the game and if culture is in at all.
I also have suggestion for the Manhattan Project: make it a national wonder and make some national wonders cheaper the more people have them. Let's say if someone has the Manhattan project make it cost 30% less for the next guy who builds it. That should do enough to to simulate proliferation.
Why should anybody build it first ? Give the first civ to have a manhattan project two free nukes and make it impossible for other civs to build their mahattan project for the next couple of turns.

I'd love for some leaders to have production bonuses on certain wonders - if you're playing as Khufu, you get +50% production on the Pyramids. Not every leader, just leaders who are strongly associated with a particular wonder - Hadrian and Hadrian's Wall, etcetera. And not enough to guarantee that leader getting it every game - not enough to offset a decent tech lead, for example.

Of the wonders that I suggested for Civ3, a fair number got picked since, but the following are still waiting for their turn. :)

Grand Canal
Magna Carta
Camelot
Kinderdike Mills
East Indies Company
Sydney Opera House
Trans-Siberian Railroad
Freud's Interpretation of Dreams
Turing Machine
World Health Organization
Map of Human Gnome
Biosphere 2

i'd like to see the world trade center and maybe the porcelain tower of nanjing (though just porcelain temple could work for the name) or something like that.

Colosseum A big problem I have with the current wonders is there are too many Greco-Roman wonders, but this is one that's justified (unlike the MoM and SoZ). No idea why they decided to make it a building for Civ4 ... I think maybe they were confusing it with Amphitheater or Stadium or something.
it was a generic building even back in civ i.
Did you play Civ 1 & 2 at all? All differences were name only and those were two of the best games ever made.
well, yes and no. i never played civ 2 so i don't know about that one, but i do know that there were differences between some of the civilizations when the computer played them, though obviously not as much as in the newest game(s). the aztecs, for example, had tons of money.

Well you are making a valid argument, we disagree only on how much of that unique historical Egyptian culture should be represented in Civ.

Extreme uniqueness would be following history of Ancient Egypt as closely as possible within games rules and losing to Rome after the battle of Actium, or something like that. But most of us wanna some more choices, like, say, winning against Rome or playing with Aztecs Americans as neighbors or choosing from a wide variety of Wonders (as opposed to only historical Egyptian Wonders). Not to mention that nobody wants to lose the game in BC era :)

For me, one unique unit and one unique building plus unique graphics style and historical Egyptian leaders is about enough. For you?

And yes, Chinese Pyramids are similar to Egyptian ones in form (pyramid form :p ) and function (mausoleum). Not identical, but truly similar. That's of course besides the point.

P.S. The good thing about the game as it is, is that you can follow the True Egyptian Way to some extent. Build Pyramids, The Great Lighthouse and, well, lose to Augustus of Rome :)

You should have pointed out the South American Pyramids, they are different in every way Style and Function. They are however still pyramids.

I've seen the Balinese Rice Terraces and they were magnificent, for such a primitive area they were amazing

Top Bottom