• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Upgrade Video Drivers Today

Palance

Warlord
Upgrade today and maybe save some grief tomorrow.

Great idea, what people should do is post direct links to up to date drivers as you upgrade yours (IE, if I did mine which I can't before work, I'd post a link to a GTX260 driver for WinXP64)

Nvidia: Latest release, July 19, 2010.
ATI: Latest release, September 15, 2010.

If you've updated since then, don't bother :) Also, I need to do it when I get home, seems ATI just released updated ones.

By the way, people who own ATI video cards can now update their drivers automatically through Steam. I tested this feature some days ago with my 5870 and it works fine. :)

Upgrade today and maybe save some grief tomorrow.

Dude, ive reinstalled the OS and only have drivers + antivirus + chrome installed for more effective memory usage :) My comp is only waiting for Civ V to happen

Might as well delete all the unnecessary crap that's probably on your computer and then defrag your hard drive while you're at it.

By the way, people who own ATI video cards can now update their drivers automatically through Steam. I tested this feature some days ago with my 5870 and it works fine. :)

I tested this feature some days ago with my crossfire'd 4850s and it... didn't work at all. Hung on driver reset, like it always does when I don't clear out the prior drivers and restart. Gotta love ATI - "we do hardware. The hell with drivers"

Doesn't look like Steam is removing the old drivers; in fact it's just fetching the drivers file and invoking the Catalyst installer. So if you've needed to remove old drivers in the past, like I have, you still will.

If your installing new ATI drivers I strongly recormend a clean install. If your not sure on this then check out the relevent Tweaks guides.

I'm already up-to-date and fired up Steam last night to get that updated too.

I tested this feature some days ago with my crossfire'd 4850s and it... didn't work at all

Maybe it's an OS thing. On XP Pro I'd always do everything step by step manually. With Win7 updating drivers is smoother (with the ATI updater utility thingie).

I let it sit a few days, let the keeners see if it has some silly fan-killing bug. After that nvidia thing this summer i'm paranoid.

That's two of us! I didn't touch my desktop for months (usually I use my work laptop) and decided do clean everything just for ciV.

Clean Install:
Win 7 Ult. ; Office 2k10; Chrome; Antivirus and Steam client... Everything is ready! :goodjob:

My experience, with NVidia at least, is if you find a driver version that works with your card, you don't upgrade. Each NVidia release is more likely to break things than improve them. (That's especially true with SLI cards.)

"My experience, with NVidia at least, is if you find a driver version that works with your card, you don't upgrade."

Quoted for truth. Leave your video card drivers where they are. If you run into a bug upon playing the game, do some basic diagnostics at that time to determine if upgrading the video card drivers could help, and if so, proceed to upgrade if you experience issues and if the upgrade is fairly likely to resolve.

Nvidia drivers are the same ones from July, so no need to update them.

Thanks, I did not have July nvidia drivers.

This threads belongs to tech support forum and should be sticky.

Top Bottom