SGOTM 12 - T'dr'duzk b'hazg t't

I'd get another worker out before the second settler, if so. Need to clear the tile for the city, as well as start clearing around it.

I will check this

There are 2 workers finishing the Elephants, so they should get there and clean it before the settler is ready.

Trystero, I note there are more people currently looking at the spreadsheet than there are members of our team. While I'm sure all the extras are benevolent spectators to our match (which is fine), perhaps we shouldn't give them all write-access to our spreadsheet? I sent you a PM with my email address so you could add me to the list of editors. I suggest other team members do the same.

Yes, Neil, you are right. Once we all have editing access it will be easier.

At least two of those people are my regular and CFC accounts. I forgot that this is still a public forum (in the MTDG we have private forums). I will restrict editing access to the team. If you want to edit the spreadsheet PM me your gmail address.

We need at least 1 warrior since we are in an always war situation at the moment.

We need at least 1 warrior since we are in an always war situation at the moment.

Paradigm shifter, we've already had this discussion at length. Yes, building workers first is a risk. We think it is worth it. So far, at least four members of the team have spoken in favor of worker -> worker -> warrior x3 as our initial build. If you want to sway us to a different choice, you'll need to post a good argument and back it up with testing. And we're already building the first worker anyway, the save has been posted to turn 3 already.

For reference, this is the basic spreadsheet Smurkz used in SGOTM08.

http://gesserit.net/discworld/blank.xls

You are free to edit the spreadsheet in anyway you find useful. It should be easy enough to add new columns for whatever category you like.I make no claims of ownership (other than acting as the gatekeeper :)). I am merely hosting. My primary interest was a reference for my turnsets, so that the micro was unambiguous.

Had a look at both of the spreadsheets and Trystero's is much nicer on the eye. We may have to add in extra information, but it will be a very good tool. I also did a quick test on trade routes. For getting the nortern gold we need to road it only to the river (ie the tile it's sitting on) but the cow if connected via the gold doesn't go to the city. This was all done on turn 0.

Sorry I wasn't communicating the last hour, I was playing a SP game, and had left my browser open.

I just had a twisted thought, based on someone's comment (no idea who, but it was earlier in the thread) that the AIs just milled around inside their borders, apparently because they were at war and didn't know where we are. If that is the case, might that be an argument to delay making peace? It might slow their expansion down, and they may not send out much in the way of troops randomly looking for us if the AI is that conservative.

Well in any of the test games I did there was no stopping the AI from settling except for the fallout round their caps. Isn't there a grace period for AIs not to attack, or is that negated by the war dec.?

Agreed that Trystero's sheet is good for our purposes. I updated it with Neil's plan with my variations through turn 66. Of course, once we see more resources or copper or an AI everything will change.

If you give the AI a unit in eyesight of us in worldbuilder, it will attack, so there is no grace period.

We can't make peace before Aesthetics, so we'll have plenty of time to rethink that decision. However, if we stay at war indefinitely we will get terribly unhappy from the war weariness.

Had a look at both of the spreadsheets and Trystero's is much nicer on the eye. We may have to add in extra information, but it will be a very good tool. I also did a quick test on trade routes. For getting the nortern gold we need to road it only to the river (ie the tile it's sitting on) but the cow if connected via the gold doesn't go to the city. This was all done on turn 0.

Don't really understand what you are saying here, can you reword?

I just had a twisted thought, based on someone's comment (no idea who, but it was earlier in the thread) that the AIs just milled around inside their borders, apparently because they were at war and didn't know where we are. If that is the case, might that be an argument to delay making peace? It might slow their expansion down, and they may not send out much in the way of troops randomly looking for us if the AI is that conservative.

Thats a very interesting idea. We should definitely take peace with our land neighbour, if we can, but it might be interesting to see it plays out not making peace with everyone else.

I did have a thought about our land neighbour, especially if its Gandhi.
After teching Aesthetics:
- Settle a crap city, in a 'remote' section of the map, next to a resource (so AI wants it)
- Give it to Gandhi for peace.
- Trade Aesthetics for peace with everyone else, if they take it.
- Trade all of our techs for Gandhis. Aesthetics for Alpha........
- Then trade for all other techs, hopefully IW.
- Then build Axes/Swords and take our neighbours cap, leaving him the crap city.

My best space victories have always come after I have taken my nearest neighbours core cities reasonably early.

I did have a thought about our land neighbour, especially if its Gandhi.
After teching Aesthetics:
- Settle a crap city, in a 'remote' section of the map, next to a resource (so AI wants it)
- Give it to Gandhi for peace.
- Trade Aesthetics for peace with everyone else, if they take it.
- Trade all of our techs for Gandhis. Aesthetics for Alpha........
- Then trade for all other techs, hopefully IW.
- Then build Axes/Swords and take our neighbours cap, leaving him the crap city.

My best space victories have always come after I have taken my nearest neighbours core cities reasonably early.

Sounds like a plan. I'm all for a bit of judicious expansion if we can pull it off.

I tried playing through the micro plan in the spreadsheet and spotted a couple of problems:

-Farming the rice by worker 1 will take 5 turns, not 4, so he won't road the rice until turn 55, etc. (subsequent orders off by 1 turn).

-When worker 1 finishes roading the rice the next instruction is to move 1NW, 1W, 1W. This puts him 1W of A-M. The next turn worker 1 moves 1W (2W of A-M), and then starts a road. I think this is one turn too many of movement, since I think you meant him to road 1W of A-M. As it is, his next movement (1SW) would put him in the water :)))

I think I corrected these problems, but someone should check my work as I don't have time to play through it again tonight.

Looks good to me, thanks for catching it.

Two things to discuss:

Should we revolt to slavery and use the whip? If so, when? We get 50% hammer bonus to settlers, this applies to the whip.

How can we get a scientist or two working in A-M so we can get our first great scientist and found an academy?

Looks good to me, thanks for catching it.

Two things to discuss:

Should we revolt to slavery and use the whip? If so, when? We get 50% hammer bonus to settlers, this applies to the whip.

How can we get a scientist or two working in A-M so we can get our first great scientist and found an academy?

I'd plan on revolting to slavery, though when to use it is a question I don't have an answer for right now.

On the scientist spec, we'll need to start running one/two when we get to pop 6 or 7, unless we're going to whip away unhappiness (except when building workers and settlers, of course).

Top Bottom