Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I play more in normal view than strategic view

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • I play normal view exclusively/almost exclusively

Votes: 133 70.0%

• Total voters

WeaselSlapper

Prince
I just wanted to put this poll out there because I only play in strategic view and I wanted to see how strange I was.

I like to see the landscape, units, etc.. so i play normal view

Like little fighting animation and all details.

I played exclusively in strategic mode until I upgraded my computer. Now I play more in normal view than strategic view. Though the reason I don't use it more is probably that I forget about it existing :p

I played exclusively in strategic mode until I upgraded my computer. Now I play more in normal view than strategic view. Though the reason I don't use it more is probably that I forget about it existing :p

I was actually going to put an option in saying I didn't even know about strategic view, but I thought too many people would jokingly put that and it would throw off the results ;P

I'd like to use the strategic view more often, but something about it makes it practically unreadable to me. I can't put my finger on what it is, but it's really 'noisy' somehow.

If it could do any of the Civ IV strat view stuff (drawing on the map, signs...man, I miss signs), I'd be there much more often. It'd also be nice if it were easier to see resources that are within your cultural borders, but unimproved. That was always hard to see in Civ IV, too, and it's one thing that I'm really surprised wasn't made easier to notice in V.

About the only time I'll got to strategic view is when I pop a new resource and need to find out who I need to kill to get it, or where I need to send a settler. For some reason oil is really hard to find on either map :)

Yeah, it would be cool if you could toggle the strat view display more. It's definitely too busy right now. At the very least, military mode (only shows cities, military units, and terrain types), civilian mode (shows yields and resources), and universal mode (shows everything) would be great.

Strategic view is too difficult keep track of. I only use it to find resources after researching Iron Working, Electricity, etc. and sometimes to determine city-placement.

A bit off topic, but I was just thinking about the unimproved resource issue...just as you get a notification popup when a new technology reveals resources, I would really love getting a popup when automatic border expansion claimed one for the empire.

The main reason I like strategic view is because I have a hard time placing units properly with the 3/4 view of normal mode and I like the top down view of strategic mode much better. Also I like to zoom out pretty far and I have a really hard time seeing what tiles are improved in normal view (this might be partly because I'm colorblind) so figuring out what to do with my workers is difficult. If you're finding strategic view too cluttered that might be because it shows tile improvements as icons, and you can select which icons to see, but I leave them all on.

I do wish they would have the same city viewing functions for strategic view as they do in normal mode. I don't like having to zoom all the way in to see what my cities are producing and how long until they grow. Also when I hover over a unit in strategic view it doesn't tell me what country they belong to like it does in normal mode, this is probably only a problem for me because I'm colorblind and unit icon colors are not distinct enough for me to be able to easily tell them apart.

I play in normal view, but I sometimes use strategic for it's filters.

If you're finding strategic view too cluttered that might be because it shows tile improvements as icons, and you can select which icons to see...

You can? Awesome...how? Heh.

Not a fan of what theyve done with strategic view, doesnt appeal to me at all and barely makes it easier to plan/see things... Not v.strategic imo

You can? Awesome...how? Heh.

You can select which icons you want to see in the map options (all, unit, resource, or improvements). Unfortunately they have it as a selector instead of checkboxes so you can't just select units and resources. I would be nice to have an option to only show non enemy improvements when a worker is selected though.

My poor old laptop just can't handle the graphics in normal view. So, strategic all the way. Only problem is, during the computer's turn, it becomes even harder to tell where I'm getting attacked.

Is there something I'm missing? During the computer turn, I get text messages along the lines of "An enemy spearman (4 damage) attacked your swordsman (2 damage)." These messages last about one second, and as far as I can tell, there's no way to recall them later, or to see which which swordsman that was. Is there?

This may have something to do with the fact that I haven't used it much, but strategic view is harder for me to read than normal view. Therefore, it isn't very strategically helpful, and thus I rarely use it.

I am probably the number one fan of strategic view. I do essentially everything in this mode. I only switch out of strategic view for very early game map exploration (I like to see the land when just starting out for some reason). I do wish that the at a glance city information (turns to city growth, what the city is producing) could be represented on the cities in strategic view as they are in normal view.

Edit: In strategic view if you are fully zoomed in the city data appears just like in normal view. Just discovered this over the weekend.

I rarely if ever use strat view, the only time I use it is when I need to find a rare resource (like coal when there are only 2 or 3 in the world), it's a little easier to see resources in strat view.

Speaking of finding resources, I wish there was an option to search for one particular resource at a time. If I'm looking for coal all the other resource icons get in the way and just make it harder to isolate the coal icon(s).

Top Bottom