New DLC on December 16

The devs have been VERY actively patching issues, the full changelog is quite extensive for a patch.
That's because they sold a game that wasn't even beta stage if you ask me, so that's the least they have to do to save their days, if that is still possible.
Don't tell the consumer who dished out $50 for an unfinished product how heroic you are in working very hard. humility is sometimes a good thing.

You know I would actually feel better as a consumer, if Firaxis/2k came out and admitted that they did a rush job and feel sorry that the game is perceived so poorly amongst many fans. In my mind this wouldn't result in a loss of face but as a bold and positive step.

However, what we have seen since the overhyped launch of the game is pretty much silence from the community managers.

I will certainly BUY this brand new DLC as soon as it's out -- if only to drill a point real hard towards 2K & Steam; that if they are very serious about "fixing" the main game with the pre-announced huge patch comin', true fans should support such efforts.

Just have to verify the PayPal troubles i've been having lately (ya know, Anonyms DoS attacks on Financial sites & WikiLeaks founder emprisonment in England & so on) -- and off my money goes away.

Seriously guys. Do you think that the future expansion won't include the Inca and Spain anyway? It's not worth it.

"Everything is worth what it's purchaser is willing to pay for it."

Also, to Morningcalm: I may be wrong but I think that the Free DLC and Civ III was entirely a Direct2Drive Decision for marketing purposes. There was no deception on the part of 2K, Steam chose to give you a free map pack for preorders and D2D chose to offer free DLC and at the same it had a promotion knocking 10 bucks off purchases over 50 dollars. It's no different if Best Buy and Walmart are selling the same game but Walmart is having a sale that knocks 10 bucks off and throws in a free itunes gift card. It's a promotion by the retailer nothing more or less.

I get being frustrated, but the venom is misdirected. Someone getting a great deal somewhere else does not mean you got cheated.

Valkrionn,

What, +1:c5gold: on farmed hill tiles or something?

(sorry, just stabbing in the dark. Have details about the Inca not surfaced anywhere yet?)

seasnake said:
Also, to Morningcalm: I may be wrong but I think that the Free DLC and Civ III was entirely a Direct2Drive Decision for marketing purposes. There was no deception on the part of 2K, Steam chose to give you a free map pack for preorders and D2D chose to offer free DLC and at the same it had a promotion knocking 10 bucks off purchases over 50 dollars. It's no different if Best Buy and Walmart are selling the same game but Walmart is having a sale that knocks 10 bucks off and throws in a free itunes gift card. It's a promotion by the retailer nothing more or less.

I get being frustrated, but the venom is misdirected. Someone getting a great deal somewhere else does not mean you got cheated.
A reasonable economics-based response, which I appreciate. But I would raise another issue: the game was marketed by 2K/Firaxis, and I'm pretty sure they chose what price to sell the game marketing license at to those particular companies. That they didn't have all the market options made available at the start, in my opinion, smells of setting up people for the fall (esp. those who are loyal to the franchise and order the game from the beginning).

For other marketed games, the pre-order options are usually made known earlier, and often together. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, for example, had a Collector's edition, a digital purchase option, and the regular box edition for sale in stores. People knew of these options pretty darned early.

So yeah, I feel ripped off. Especially because Steam didn't let me cancel their order. That alone is worthy of making a single venomous thread dedicated to that issue (and that has been done already, numerous times).

------------------------

Anyway. I like that the Incans get a unique tile improvement, but they seriously need to rename the Incan "Slinger", Incans weren't the only ones with slingers, and the Incan slinger had a unique name, thank you very much. Similarly, the Aztec UB should be "Chinampa" not whatever-it-is-right now (forgot its name, not played Civ V in a while).

Also, the civs are clearly not as unique as those in Civ IV or Civ Rev even, which had other bonuses (Civ IV's traits, starting techs, even unique aesthetic look, which in Civ V is mostly just the cities, Civ Rev's bonuses-throughout-the-ages)

Hm, Spain is a major civ and since it is released in a DLC one would expect them to be half-decent about it and not have it in an expansion. But that is a bad choice in itself.

So i guess they will just rob some more cash, and then have it in the expansion as well.

you know ive heard sooo much complaining about this game. im just as pissed as anyone as to the missteps of this game, the fact that this game has ALOT of problems, but its obvious theyre working on it. and you know, whether ya'll like it or not i like DLC, ill pay 5 dollars here instead of 30 there. am i a fool?... no! impatient... yeah, i guess so, and who really knows, they might not even come out with an expansion then you'd feel stupid, wouldnt you? believe me, this game has pissed me off many times but for the most part its fun and i like it! im going to buy the DLC and use it in the way i play my games, if theres still problems, which i promise you there will still be, i will keep on playing because that is the way civilization is in real life... its constantly trying to make it better, that is the story of civilization! IN REAL LIFE!

I like the way they are doing this. Adding new feature (Like rebel and stuff) trough patches and new civ from DLC.

So you always get the gameplay update for free and if you wanna support then you buy the new civs/scenario.

Of course that's my opinion as a guy who think that civ 5 was obviously not released as a pre-beta game... I've been in alpha/beta testing and that's seriously much worst than civ 5. I can easily see CIV 5 becoming a long standing game like civ 4 was, and other game such as company of heroes and tf2. Constant update to make more stable and complete + new optional paid stuff.

Seriously, if you don't want the new civ... don't buy them, you'll still get the free patch anyway. Saying that you are getting bwtrayed or whatever is seriously over-reacting.

Top Bottom