Awilder's 3rd Deity Game - Huayna Capac

I like Oracle-Metal Casting too. Metal Casting as free tech because getting writing before you get oracle may be too much if you want to build cottages (wheel, pottery), hook up marble (masonry), chop and whip for production (mining, bronze), hook up cows (AH), not to mention oracle techs. Metal Casting is already opened up by bronze and pottery. It's be interesting to try a wonderspam game with this marble and the cap you have.

So first up, I changed my mind on tech order:

Spoiler :

I saw that I could tech to pottery in time to immediately put up cottages as soon as the corn was farmed, so I went for that. Since the FPs are on the way to the cow, this shaved a turn off of worker movement. In the end, going pottery before AH basically amounted to trading slightly more than 1commerce for 1hammer during the turns I didn't have both techs. This is not usually a good trade, but I figured I could afford losing the early hammers.

My logic? I needed the commerce asap for my oracle strat, and those early hammers almost always go toward warriors, but I would need fewer, since we could see I've only got 2 directions to fogbust:

Spoiler :

(Met Khmer and Byzantines from NW and Japanese from SE here)

And because quechuas do their job quite well. Feel free to debate me on the Pottery AH switch.

Here's another shot of the Byzantine borders, right as I meet them. They are quite close!

Spoiler :

Here's a small side effect of this:

Spoiler :

Rush out quechua (needed for approaching archer) at the cost of losing the 1 commerce and 3 food from the unworked FP.

My first worker improve corn>cottage>cottage>cow working north to south.

I built 1 quechua only and then settler at size 3. There was quite a squeeze coming from the North! (see land pic below)

The second city had some jungle, but it was able to settle with cows for immediate improvement, and sugar, dye in bfc. I will maybe cottage that guy (again see land pic)

Its builds went monument for cultural pressure (no time for terrace!) and then another settler (again land squeeze!)

After AH I teched mining>masonry>BW>poly>phood

At that point I didn't quite pull off the 1 turn oracle, but with a settler (#3)>whip overflow + single tree chop:

Spoiler :

quite miraculous! I took MC for cheap forges and large trade chip. Meanwhile I met all the other AI. Looks like we are all one happy family on this continent. Zara is I believe south, and Brennus is north. Both Zara and Toku got early alpha (lol @ toku--what's the point if you won't trade??) ~1600BC, so I traded poly+masonry for writing (1 turn of research in writing), and then got alpha thusly:

Spoiler :

After oracle I teched fishing for the two fishing cities, and started a little on aesthetics (no trade chip needed especially, but TGLib is gonna be soo cheap here)

Here is the land situation where I stopped:

Spoiler :

clam+gold site has just been settled. Machu Picchu is borrowing the corn from cuzco, which is still capped at 5 happy. Obviously giving up the early hammers has made my scouting to the south suffer, but at least there is a weak barb city buffer there. If I can get both barb cities that would put me at 6, which would be nice. Of course, that is assuming carib has anything other than desert to its East...

I have only 3 workers (counting the new one about to arrive) so priority #1 is to get the workers caught up to the rexing. Next priority is to get a forge in the capital, and finally get some military to grab barb cities. The blank plains tile to the right of the capital is neither copper nor horses, so I have a feeling it's iron. Here is the tech situation after trading for alpha (on the last turn):

Spoiler :

I should probably wait a turn to grab IW with alpha and keep myself and zara as the only ones with MC. I'll need to keep a close watch on the tech situation to make sure I can trade away techs before Zara does.

Any comments, suggestions, etc? No uploads still :(

I would say your land looks nice for Deity :)
A good thing is that sea tiles are workable with a financial leader, that seems to make all cities you have pretty solid. Looks like you can do well without a war.

Depending on who the founder of Judaism is and whether Zara gets Confu (bet he does), the Paya might be a good choice with gold, ind and a perhaps difficult diplo situation later on. You could then also switch around between theo and organized for the bonus. With the 2 nutsos in Buddhism it would be my first choice for now.

Perhaps gifting Toku a city can help the dilpo, to open borders. You might also be able to do some dirty tricks with your great prophet. Like bulb Theo and get Toku into Christianity. In which case i definitly would go no state religion with organized or free religion with Paya.

@CaF

I think I'd rather gift toku a tech rather than a city, just cause of the hammers. Also haven't found his border yet. It could be Zara is the only one who borders me down there. S. Paya could be a good choice. I'll have to see if I can squeeze it in between expanding and GLib

@vranasm

Yeah, at least the one on the desert I think. The hill would probably be too costly. Here's hoping for iron!

So first up, I changed my mind on tech order:

Spoiler :
I was like screaming "What AH first?! Go Pottery!" Good to see you think same way. :lol:

Gifting city rather then tech you get +4 fair trade - which vanish with time and +1 "you liberated our cities", which is permanent. Furthermore to get +4 fair trade from tech gift you need gift something expensive making him advanced, while crappy giftcity will drag his economy back.

You can settle 2W of the capital cow for another decent city. Lacking in food, but that's easily solved by borrowing the caps cow and FP and some irrigation. It has some forests to chop, and plenty of riverside grassland.

@awilder:

A tech doesn't get him to pleased instantly unless you get the +1 for years of peace. Also getting those aggro whores to +4 in fair trade is just pure pain sometimes. Gifting them some junker gets you +5 instantly, gives them a crappy city and you might even be able to give him a very weak front city, where you can steamroll his stack at turn 1 of a war. You can also open borders, so his wheoorn rolls can actually choose someone else than you. No need to be picky about some hammers when this early game move can make this game a lot easier.

That of course all depends on where his borders are, but if he is down there SE and you are in his way to the others, then you got a problem.

Top Bottom