CIv now requires admin priveledges and won't run

Hi everyone.

I played Civilization 3 just last night with no problem and today when I try to run it (by shortcut, the exe, autorun from disk) I get the error message I need to log in with administrator privileges. I tested a few other programs and found the same error with Pirates. I checked and my log on is administrator. I tried changing the compatibility to run as admin and get the dialog box asking to allow the program to make changes and when I check yes, nothing starts. The same thing happens if I right click the exe or shortcut and run as administrator.
I restarted the PC with no change.

Other programs installed to the same folders run fine.

I am not aware of any changes to my operating system. A few days back I ran drive booster which updated various drivers but the game ran fine after the updates.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Found it elsewhere here. The recent updates to windows included Update KB3086255. I just uninstalled it and the game now runs.

Thanks to justanick for this. It looks like this might not work for Windows 10 as it is part of a security feature Microsoft wants to maintain so it will just be reinstalled. I have Vista still so I might be lucky.

i now have this problem. i bought another laptop and new civ3 complete. So my original laptop and civ3 conquests i put away for awhile. i decided to get it working again so i could mod my civ3 complete the same way. But when i started civ3 conquests game i got the message, "please login with administrator privileges and try again". - game worked fine 4-5 months ago before i got laptop and civ 3 complete.

my computer skills are zero. i have no idea what this is. how do i fix? ... i can not find any update listed as KB3086255 .....

Top Bottom