Giant Earth Concept Map (256x256)

Sure, I will upload it to this post. Hope it works for you - I play polish version of Civ. I don't know if language has anything to do with save file being compatible, but i guess it shouldn't.
If you gonna have any questions about my game I'll be happy to answer.

Attachments

• Cleopatra - Egyptians, 1640 r..SAV
    1.6 MB · Views: 250
damn, after 1 hour playing Maya, i get map making and gonna try colonize Carribean islands, and something in South America, but i can't load my settler to galley :))
only after this i attentively read description
"In general settlement has been restricted, only West European civilizations can load settlers into ships, and mountains and desert cannot be crossed before the Middle Ages, meaning that the game plays more like real life."

my fault, i'm start again and try to eliminate aztec empire from the north.

Hi!

I really hope you could assist me. Have played this scenario for a couple of weeks now and now I´m stuck. First there was a problem with Colonist-file not found but I found it somewhere here in civfanatics. Now the problem is same but with Guard Infantry- unit. I checked the GEC-zip and there was nothing to that.

I play Civilizations 3 Complete.

Thanks!! I´ll try that. Do I need to change the folder name AND the *.ini?

And where should these "new" units be located? In Civ3\Conquests\Art\Units?

Open the files on your computer in the following path

C: Drive>Program Files>Firaxis Games>Civilization III Complete>Conquests>Scenarios

This is where your downloaded game files will be. Open the folder for your new game (giant-earth-concept-map).You’ll find a folder “Text” that contains at least two text documents called “PediaIcons” and “Civilopedia”. Civilopedia is where you describe units, buildings, technology and other concepts. PediaIcons is the backbone of the game. Scroll down until you find a unit example e.g.

#ICON_PRTO_Modern_Armor
art\civilopedia\icons\units\21modernarmorlarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\21modernarmorsmall.pcx

You’ll notice PRTO_Modern_Armor is in the editor under Modern Armor. This links the information in the editor with the graphics in the “Units” folder. The .pcx files are in the “Civilopedia” folder. They provide the pictures for the technology tree.

So if you want to add a unit just copy and paste a section from “PediaIcons” and change some of the text.

#ICON_PRTO_Modern_Armor
art\civilopedia\icons\units\21modernarmorlarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\21modernarmorsmall.pcx
#ICON_PRTO_NEW_UNIT
art\civilopedia\icons\units\ NEW_UNITlarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\ NEW_UNITsmall.pcx

scroll to the end of the document and do the same

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Modern_Armor
Modern Armor
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_ NEW_UNIT
NEW_UNIT

Make sure you have the unit graphics in the “Units” folder and large/small.pcx files in the “Civilopedia” folder.

All of this is much easier to do than to explain so do it slowly and you’ll be fine. If you start the game and something is wrong the game will tell you what it is in a crash window.

If you need a better explanation I’ll find one or put one together for you.

Yoda Power, hello!
I have a question.
In which folder do I need to extract (for correct functioning) files and map?
In conquests or in scenarios?

P.S. For a long time did not play. I forgot. It seems that you wrote when you published this map. But after the update of the site - erased.

I'm playing this map once again on sid level (because it's a lot of fun:) ). This time as Ottomans which may be best positioned civilization due to tech trading possibilities.

It's year 1365ad and I've already conquered Russia, a bit of Greece, Arabia, Carthage, Babylonia, european part of Rome, "part of european part" of Spain (and few of it's cities in North America), Aztecs and Persia. Did it by almost always joining wars when they were weakened by other conflicts, which was my strategy in previous games as well.
This time however I'll try to do something different which I never did and attack world leader (by military means) which happens to be Mongolia. I'm just not sure if I should wait for better moment or rush it. There's a lot of arguments on both approaches.

Sid level world conquest as India in progress. Year 1240AD

Attachments

• map 1240 W1100.jpg
    map 1240 W1100.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 336
In short words: Siam did it (well mostly, Mongols did a little too).

In long words: I "did Siam" to them:)
After many games I developed "multi war - diplomacy over fighting personally strategy".
I often start conflicts with civs not neighbouring with me*, simply to push my neighbours into war through alliance. Main goal is to weaken both neighbour and the next civ. Let's keep strongest civs in balance stretching their forces along many fronts. Their armies are far from my cities fighting each other to death. I do my best to do any fighting only in the end when one side is really weaken. It sometimes mean I have to wait tweny turns to invade my neighbour which was allied with me, because he was goind to lose the war.

*Or maybe more true is to say I declare wars to those who are not able to pay me a lot of money through trade deals. Another factor is enemies' army movement which i constantly track with explorers (and workers before explorers).

This can be interesting and I could describe other examples but let's talk about this China example:

So to start I have to say it didn't go the exactly they way I planned it, but in the end effect was the same (hovewer on much bigger scale as seen on the uploaded map).

First I recognized chinese units moving west to fight some european civ (I don't remember which one, I don't play daily - I started this game in April this year). They were moving mostly through mongol territory due to ROP. Siam got involved in some european conflict as well so they would soon start moving west. I built "human wall" in real life "north-eastern zonal council" of India (simply in east of my mainland territory) starting at the sea, ending in the mountains. This way Siam will start moving units into China to go west through Mongolia as well. And that of course happens (steering enemy movement or mostly blocking it from certain areas is something common in my games).

So after few turns China has it's army in Mongolia and Siam has it's army in China. Great moment to start Siam-China war. I only have to choose who to fight on my own. I go against Siam, because China is paying for my reasources and is more developed civ. I'm little scared Siam will cut off chinese capital**, but what the hell, let's do this! I of course buy China into war and locate my explorers around Siam army to watch what they gonna do.

What doesn't go with the plan is that after I finish my turn, Chinese ship goes into one mine somewhere in Indonesia and now I'm in war against both China and Siam***. And this in fact means it's even better;D Now I go into Alliance againt China with Mognols. So Chinese units start to pillage everything in middle of Mongolia on their way home (which they never gonna reach). Siam however turns back to attack me, but I fight them only few turns and sign peace as soon as I can. But if not Chinese attack I could have been in troubles and forced to fight Siam force on my border. So the whole thing was really risky I must say.
After peace with Siam I just watch Siam fighting China and China fighting Mongolia. Mongols are strongest so they will wipe out chinese units while Siam goes into China terrirtory to pillage roads and raze cities.
There will be short peace period after twenty turns when Siam stops fighting and I finally can go into peace with China (end of alliance with Mongols), but soon after they will attack me once again on the sea, so I will once again send Siam at them. This time for good. Effect is visible on the map. And most of city razing happens already in "full capacity era", so this is why it went empty - all city slots were instantly used somewhere else.

**I often put my defensive units into my allies territory to protect trade route to their capital city, but I had none in China and going there through mountains or with ships was to much setup to wait for this.

***after few turns I reach my record of being at war at the same time with:
- Russia
- Ottomans
- Arabia
- Scandinavia
- Carthage
- China
- Siam
And if remember correctly I was literally fighting only Ottomans on my own then.

So you see Siam-China thing is just a piece of big picture. But I won't write about them all now. I can only say that I managed to push everybody to war so effectively, that world wide tech reaserch simply halted (i don't do my own at all, I only trade and steal).

Last edited:
Hello Yoda Power!
Why Modern Infantry and Modern Armor are displayed on a map - the equally? Like a Modern Tank.
However in the Сivilopedia - Modern Infantry displayed differently (correct).

And why did you add "standard tile penalty" for Republic? In the original game - no have this.

Last edited:
Sid level world conquest as India in progress. Year 1796AD

Attachments

• W1100 MAP 1796.jpg
    W1100 MAP 1796.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 285
Yes, I've been probably playing this map too much.
But I really like this concept.
I even started comparing my stats for sid level games in a spreadsheet.
I copied some of my notes into this one:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mPDk7H3nm65m_vIWDa_xQ8KOon6jJGRIgO34_nftuaI/edit?usp=sharing
(some of that is in polish, but it should be easy to understand what is what)

My newest game is by Russia and it's beating all previous results, even India.
This time it might be even possible I'll be able to prevent AI from making one big empire with crazy amount of units, which could lead to actually ending game by conquest for first time. I never did that because of too much real time consumption at the late stage.

Newest strategy is: giving techs and gold to AI for free. And it works. At least for now! I'm in 1030 ad, you can check that in stats and sceenshots.

Attachments

• KINGDOM 1030 AD.jpg
    KINGDOM 1030 AD.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 266
  • KINGDOM 450 AD.jpg
    KINGDOM 450 AD.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 266
  • W1100 MAP4 0250 AD.jpg
    W1100 MAP4 0250 AD.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 224
  • W1100 MAP4 0350 AD.jpg
    W1100 MAP4 0350 AD.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 236
  • W1100 MAP4 0450 AD.jpg
    W1100 MAP4 0450 AD.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 218
  • W1100 MAP4 0550 AD.jpg
    W1100 MAP4 0550 AD.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 229
  • W1100 MAP4 0650 AD.jpg
    W1100 MAP4 0650 AD.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 234
  • W1100 MAP4 0750 AD.jpg
    W1100 MAP4 0750 AD.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 258
  • W1100 MAP4 0850 AD.jpg
    W1100 MAP4 0850 AD.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 272
  • W1100 MAP4 0950 AD.jpg
    W1100 MAP4 0950 AD.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 257
Hi YP.
I'm playing this map for the first time as Russians and really enjoying it.
The realistic expansion of the different civs is so good

I'm at approx 1360AD and suddenly the black plague is affecting some of my cities.

How do I cure that? What causes it? It feels like just after sanitation tech it started?

Thanks

Hi YP.
I'm playing this map for the first time as Russians and really enjoying it.
The realistic expansion of the different civs is so good

I'm at approx 1360AD and suddenly the black plague is affecting some of my cities.

How do I cure that? What causes it? It feels like just after sanitation tech it started?

Thanks
That is a setting in the file under scenario settings. There is nothing that you can do about it except wait it out.

Top Bottom