GOTM 126 - Final Spoiler (game submitted)

neilmeister

Lentils have feelings too
GOTM Staff

GOTM 126- Final Spoiler

So how did your game after 1AD go?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in GOTM 126 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

Sorry Deckhand, I just finished and wanted to post, but found no thread :)

So how did your game after 1AD go?

Thank you for asking Neil.

After 1ad it took quite a while to get up steam. I teched to Astro for the trade routes and resource trades and was a little scared to find I was a little behind in tech. So I had to trade Astro and this resulted in the AI planting a few cities in the far south of my continent.

Decided to go for Diplo and I have to say I have forgotten how much of a pain it is in Vanilla. No indication of when votes will come up, opponents changing after the Secretary general vote!!! :eek:

I had both Hatty & Mao at +10, but Hatty also had +11 with the Mongols, who were the biggest with a massive army. I had ~20 tanks & ~8 bombers and the Mongols still had double my power. So, I line up Hatty to go but 2 turns before I was going to pull the trigger, the Mongols invade Egypt and lost about 30% of their troops so I decide to war with them instead.

Thought I had it won when the DV vote came up next, but my opponent changed from the Mongols to China! So the Modern Armor & Stealth Bombers rolled onto the Chinese next. My opponent in the next vote was Cyrus... but then switched to Izzy for the next one.

Honestly thought I was going to end up with a domination win when I finally win the vote in 1920ad.

Game presented some new problems with the combination map and start, but logistics of an entirely overseas war theater was tedious.

Thebes was apparently razed in my game, as it never showed up when I finally got to the other continent. Did others find that?

Appreciate the efforts to create a CIV4 GOTM and really hope these will continue, but certainly concerned about the lack of participation.

For a Classical start It took forever to get going. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried to fill both North and South
America with cities. Mao and Cyrus managed to get one city each placed in South America.

I got the Colossus but lost out out on TGL by just a few turns. I got just one Great Artist and the rest of my Great People were Great Merchants. I thought I was fairly advanced until I met the rest of the world. Then it took forever to catch up. I was up for a couple UN votes and then after losing one city to a late Mongol invasion and subsequent razing I must have lost enough land area that I was no longer a candidate. Two minor wars one early, and one late, after Isabella sneak attacked caused no damage but did slow down my tech pace. Near the end the Mongols invaded with no warning I wonder if it was because I was in first place score wise and it looked like the game was going to go the max number of turns. This Mongol invasion again slowed my tech pace while Mao who was in 3rd place surged ahead and eventually won a space race with about 20 turns left.

I found the game needing centuries to get going. Don't really know why.
I went for culture. At about 1480 I found myself so far away from the goal
- I didn't have even one cathedral so far
- after teching okay for a while, I now had severe difficulties reaching Lib and PP,

that I gave up / retired.
I might have continued, but unfortunately had very little time this month.

One mistake was probably to make the capital a GP farm, so getting not much bonus from CS.
Another one, founding additional cities in the south, before I reached Liberalism.

Top Bottom