First Expansion Hopes

What do you hope the first expansion will focus on?

• Diplomatic victory and the UN/League of Nations/Apostolic palace

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • Future content (sci-fi scenarios, late-late game tech, units and mechanics)

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Corporations à la Civ IV: Beyond the Sword (Maybe an economic victory?)

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • No new major mechanics, just more content (more civs, leaders, wonders, etc.)

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (explain :D)

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VainApocalypse

Warlord
Now that some of us are playing the game, it's time to start speculating about the first expansion! We know how the game plays now and can talk meaningfully about the systems that would and wouldn't fit into the existing architecture.

The ideas that I've listed are based on the headline features of previous expansions (excepting espionage and religion, which are already well represented in the game), but feel free to write in your own.

I think I most want the return of a diplomatic victory. I do think it needs to be reworked so that it is not an economic victory by another name, but UN resolutions do a lot to add the sense of an international community. Without it, conflicts and agreements are merely bilateral and not multilateral.

I also think reintroducing the apostolic palace could offer unique interplay with the reworked religion system and make it so that religion wasn't the only super-early victory condition people could pursue

Last edited:
Expended Eras into the future & pre-civilization era

I did consider the possibility of adding more super-early game content, perhaps extending the tech-tree back a few thousand years, but I have no idea what that would look like. It's unprecedented in the series.

I haven't played enough to know what I want but I think things like massive holy wars like crusades/jihads and nomadic invasions like the magyars/huns/mongols/timurids being somehow implemented and triggerable via certain choices seems really interesting.

Also, some spec ops units like thieves who can steal great works, assassins who can sabotage districts or kill great generals, commando units who get a 400% bonus to flanking and can paradrop in, hacker units who can steal tech... stuff like that.

Regarding Diplomatic Victory and such, look what I just found browsing CIv6s Data :D

DiploVicConfirmed.PNG
DiploVicConfirmed.PNG

Confirmed - but I guess it was already pretty save to assume.
Still excited though, thats what I had hoped for. ^^

Aside from the AI issues, I think this game needs more late and mid game international war options. The idea behind causus belli is a good one, but its relatively limited right now, and therefore restrictive. More creative ways to use it would be useful, along with a version of the world congress, UN, and various other improved diplomatic systems.

Here's a few ideas. Covering and connecting the globe era to era. An expanded trade system using air, sea, and railroad trade units. Highway systems, roads, streets, railways connecting Civs on the same continent. Random weather and natural disasters. Wild animals attacking scouts and settlers. Use barbarians as pirates. An immigration system where Civs compete to attract citizens from other Civs and City States. Secular options that counter Civs going for a religious victory. An expanded and more elaborate fleet with amphibious ship units including landing craft. More post industrial Civs such as Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Canada, Italy, Ireland, and Israel.

I said Diplomatic Victory, but I would also add in (1) the ability to either trade bonus resources (like traded food resources give you +1 food/+1 amenities for example), or at least have them factor into the value of your trade routes, & (2) Quantitative Strategic and Luxury Resources.

Top Bottom