How to play with a steam controller

Alphons Rodulfo

weakling
I have a particular problem playing the game with my steam controller. But perhaps this thread can serve to discuss steam controller control for Civ 6 in general.

Probably I am in a disadvantage because I have never used the steam controller before. I have just tried to start and play a Civ 6 game with the controller and I did get somewhere despite the scary notification that the game was not designed to be played with a steam controller (What? I pre-ordered them together!). I found out how to scroll and how to close windows using buttons, which is good because it saves the thumb. However, I have not been able to find out how to move units. Is specifically would like them to move tile by tile. The big round panel on the left side of the controller seems fit for that purpose but it does other things.
Can someone give advise?

You press and hold the right trigger.

As far as I recall, all games I've tried with the Steam Controller implement the left mouse click on the right trigger, i.e. you "select" by pressing the right trigger. However, in Civ VI the left click is on the left trigger, which is a bit confusing, so I have changed it to "normal behavior". You might want to do the same.

Are you launching the game from "big picture mode?" Once in that mode, press the steam button and browse the configuration map. Make adjustments to suit your needs. I've been using my Steam Controller since March and I really enjoy using it.

Thank you. Pressing and holding the right trigger does allow me to move a unit. A relief, because the game just would not be fun without that :)

Yes, I am launching the game from 'big picture mode'. I did not know I could do without. I also noticed I can reconfigure the controls on the controller, but I assumed the default configuration (by Firaxes) would make sense and do the job. Sequitor, are you enjoying civ 6 with the controller too? I wonder if it is possible to minimize having to use the track pad on the right. And as far I can tell the thing on the bottom (what could it be called?) doesn't do much. Also, I just read about mode shifting: using one button to change controller configurations. Would that be useful in Civ6, for example to switch between map mode and menu mode or city view?

Thanks for starting this thread! I am getting a Steam Controler on Sunday and was wondering if people had tried it and what were their impressions. I'll be following this thread closely =)

I have my Steam controller for a while now and using it to play all kinds of games, including Civ IV & V. Until now, everything worked great.

However, I have huge troubles getting the controller to correctly work with Civ VI: The basic functionality is there but it seems that the specific settings for the game are ignored and I also can't access the overlay via the Steam button.

So, scrolling works, clicking works. Most other keys do nothing (X & Y do nothing and the right bottom key that should end the turn also does nothing). It's really just the Steam controllers default keyboard/mouse functionality, no Firaxis preset or anything.

Does anyone have an idea what's the issue here?

Qwertzy, my controller is working fine, so I don't know why you are having a problem.

I made 2 changes to the default configuration: reversed the left and right mouse buttons and mapped A to end turn. I look forward to seeing what configs are created by the community.

I haven't messed with setting up mode configurations, but I've used custom configs that made good use of them (e.g. XCOM1).

Top Bottom