What does OT think of CIV VI?

GoodEnoughForMe

n.m.s.s.
This is, ostensibly, a site built around the video game series aptly called Civilization, but the OT has been, over the years, a sort of motley crew of people who often formerly call themselves Civilization players. Given that I only stray to the other segments of the site for the purposes of finding mods, I am curious, with CIV VI's release today, if any of the OLD STOGIES here are playing it; and if so what, specifically, the collection of OT posters thinks about the game.

For starters; going from CIV V -->> CIV VI is way, way more radical a change than IV --> V. I have had to turn my advisor on. There are way more new mechanics and ideas this time around. V you could pretty much hop in and know 95% of the game from playing IV. I didn't even worry about advisor/tips in V.

Sorry, the whole "you could know 95% of V from playing IV" does not compute for me...

How much of a jump would be civ III to Civ VI? I am really considering buying this game to impress some people.

Sorry, the whole "you could know 95% of V from playing IV" does not compute for me...

It was kind of an exaggeration for effect, but a lot of the gameplay changes - like how to use gold, or natural wonders - were just extensions of previous mechanics. Or were super easy to immediately grasp, like the one unit per tile. VI just seems so far like a lot of new changes require a bit of browsing in game and studying them to figure them out.

Edit:

How much of a jump would be civ III to Civ VI? I am really considering buying this game to impress some people.

Sadly I can't say, as I never played III. Hopefully someone else can answer.

*shrug* To my mind the games play completely differently, and attempting to play V the way you played IV will result in losing (or vice-versa). IV to V was a far bigger change than III to IV, which is the oldest one with which I have personal experience.

Anyway I've not gotten VI yet but will be hovering around the Civ 4 threads to see what the people posting there think of it. Unfortunately I am a stodgy old curmudgeon who likes IV better than V.

I have no thoughts at all about Civ VI other than "meh."

Yes, I still play Civ. Right now I've got a game of Civ II: Test of Time going, and in the Fantasy (Midgard) game, I am busy killing off the Goblins. Others on the list to go are the Humans and Merfolk.

Who needs VI when you can hunt dragons?

Not interested. I had a peek on some pre-revealed content a couple of days ago and found things cartoonish and unimpressive, but I acknowledge my bias here.

The fan reviews seem mostly positive. I might not be able to resist temptation much longer.. :twitch::spank::hammer2:

It's $80 right now and that's near-kobe beef steak territory, so I'm going to wait for a sale. I mean, I still have like 40 other strategy games I haven't even tried that I've already bought. And I have 17 versions of Civ. So a new version can wait for now.

I am glad to hear that it's receiving good first impressions from people here and there, by the time I'm ready to play this game all the patches should be in place and there should be a lot of reference material out there for me to google, not to mention mods and maps to download. That's really the best way to game IMO, you don't preorder - you postorder. Wait a year, year and a half, don't put up with game-related memes when you're playing (because you'll be avoiding them now), pay a heavily discounted price for the game, sit back, launch a stable gaming environment, pop open one of the beers you bought with the money you saved on the game, and smile knowing that you are gaming on the cheap and having a better gaming experience than the people who pre-ordered or whatever.

Having said all that I will probably buy the new Civ a lot sooner than that. I mean, it's Civ, a little Sid Meier is bound to pop up over one of my shoulders and convince me sooner rather than later.

I plan to wait for the patches to stabilize, a few Strategy articles to pop up, and then get started...and then, improve on the Strategy articles. It would be a better service to this community just to get started now, though. The first Strategy articles usually help the most people (even if they are often wrong).

I never got hooked by III or IV. TOT held my attention until V. Guess after they get V's out of the way, I will be ready for X.

Currently downloading.

I still haven't gotten around to playing a complete game of CiV.

I think Civ VI is an unmistakable sign that there will be no more expansions to Civ V, so the next time a complete version crosses my path at a good price with no DRM I'll likely buy it.

I will certainly not buy a game with DRM. I like my games to work even decades after they were released, if I ever want to play them again.

Civ V was only sold attached to Steam, I passed. If VI is also, their loss.

Top Bottom