This does not make me a warmonger

criZp

Emperor
AI attacks my city state buddy, I counter-war him and kill off the aggressor units. Don't do anything more. Other AIs all make sure to tell me how evil I am and how much of a threat to the world I am. STUPID.

So simple solution, if someone start a war, any war, then others should be justified in taking out their units until they agree to peace, like at the very least.

The warmonger penalty for declaring a war is to high diplomacy is broken currently just ignore it. it had potential but they ruined it.

I got denounced by the entire world because i atacked brazil so i could liberate a city state of mine.

At other game got denounced by entire world because i used a formal war against someone in the middle ages now they still are mad at me at the modern era.

Very disappointing. I like to protect city-states and now I'll be a war-monger for it? Crap.

Yeah, I was a bit perplexed by this as well. Frederick has started om nomming his way through my city-state buddies and when I DoW'ed him to try to stop him - having already denounced him in good time to activate the casus belli - I get what is apparently a 'light' warmonger penalty, a whopping -8 with most other Civs including those who had denounced him for attacking city-states! Doesn't seem right to me.

I was hoping the casus belli system would allow for war to be excused under reasonable circumstances but it looks like it's time to revert to Civ V tactics: poke 'em with a stick and make 'em angry so they come after you, then at least you're not the warmonger.

Yeah, I was a bit perplexed by this as well. Frederick has started om nomming his way through my city-state buddies and when I DoW'ed him to try to stop him - having already denounced him in good time to activate the casus belli - I get what is apparently a 'light' warmonger penalty, a whopping -8 with most other Civs including those who had denounced him for attacking city-states! Doesn't seem right to me.

I was hoping the casus belli system would allow for war to be excused under reasonable circumstances but it looks like it's time to revert to Civ V tactics: poke 'em with a stick and make 'em angry so they come after you, then at least you're not the warmonger.

jep its the old civ 5 mechanics where every AI will denounce eachother because of the warmonger penalty. in c iv 5 vanilla you got a penalty for declaring war. The way around was to let the AI declare war on you and take all his cities except one city. and you are the good guy.

They changed it in brave new world to a great mechanic only major penalties for taknig cities not declaring war

The good bit about it is at least it is transparent this time. But yeah, everything needs to come down at least one notch.

Clearly the numbers are just off; the mechanic is fine. But I agree, the warmongering penalty is too extreme right now.

AI attacks my city state buddy, I counter-war him and kill off the aggressor units. Don't do anything more. Other AIs all make sure to tell me how evil I am and how much of a threat to the world I am. STUPID.

So simple solution, if someone start a war, any war, then others should be justified in taking out their units until they agree to peace, like at the very least.

I believe you need the protectorate war casus belli which is very late-game. I think it should come much earlier

It might be a little high right now, but its does decay and denounce does not mean anything after it has decayed. Just silly though with all the denouncements.

I believe you need the protectorate war casus belli which is very late-game. I think it should come much earlier

This, if you want to take it back or upset over it, you have to denounce, wait 5 turns, declare formal war, then attack. other wise you just seem agressive.

nah that only works once the city state has already been taken out, I can't actually use it to defend them. just ridiculous.

nah that only works once the city state has already been taken out, I can't actually use it to defend them. just ridiculous.

Thats my concern and cripz concern. If Ai atacks you city state at classical era you have no way to liberate it at the renaissance or later with diplomatic denouncements flying around.

It should be easy to fix.

Progress update on my Frederick situation: a couple of Civs denounced me, but they were only ones who already didn't like me, and the warmonger penalty DID decay pretty quickly. And I managed to rescue the city-state before he took it :) I haven't taken a city yet, though - we will see what happens then with the warmonger penalty, as I have no justification for taking one of his own cities (other than he's just annoying me and is building too close). TBH it's a good game to experiment with since everyone I've met hates me except Peter, and he and I will have religious conflict in the future anyway...

So I'm still concerned, but quite a bit less than I was initially.

This, if you want to take it back or upset over it, you have to denounce, wait 5 turns, declare formal war, then attack. other wise you just seem agressive.

I did denounce and waited 5 turns and didn't take any cities just liberated city state

I was on an island as Russia with Norway as the only other civ on the island. Norway was aggressive from the start and constantly had troops inside my borders or just outside, but never expanded beyond its capital or improved from warriors. I warned him and denounced him which led to Hadrada declaring a surprise war (not to me). I dispatched of his pathetic warrior army and took his capital to take the island for myself, because it would have come to that eventually.

Centuries into the future, Cleo offers a bunch of luxuries and asks for a joint war against Sumeria. I had been at peace forever, Sumeria was on the other side of the world and I needed the amenities. I never engaged in combat, let alone take a city, yet was hit with warmonger penalties and denouncements from every other civ, including Egypt which asked me to go to war! I don't know if the penalties all came because I was leading in Religious, Cultural, and Science victories at the time or just leftover uneasiness from taking Norway's capital 100's of years earlier.

Top Bottom