CYOA: Legends of the Jianghu

I love this guy.

A, because we'll probably get better at speech or something, which I think previous events have repeatedly shown we desperately need.

Damn you option Cers. Dont you dare hijack my personal CYOA!

honestly I'd rather do B than C

we're not a jerk

honestly I'd rather do B than C

we're not a jerk

Is that a vote change from A to B?

i ordinarily wouldn't ask but with like 4 people it sort of matters.

it normally wouldn't be but yeah I'm tying it up

unless I can do C with the stipulation that we're playing along and get to make Clay look like a pawahful kung fu mastah

A wins. Um. I feel kind of awkward about that. I'd like to emphasise that I am aok with weird off-the-wall choices (which is why I put them there, and they've been chosen before) so please don't feel railroaded into taking particular choices. There isn't any particular way I want this game played or anything and I'm not trying to railroad any particular character or outcome, so please don't feel that way.

With some trepidation, you hand over 1 gong. Master Clay greedily snatches up the money and stuffs it into a pocket of his robe.

"Alright!" he cries. "First lesson! Start smashing those boards with your head!"

You and Zhilan dutifully go to grab a board, shrugging. As you lay it on the bricks, you try to mimic Master Clay's movements. Your head bounces off the board painfully, and you reel back, wincing.

"Am I doing this wrong?" you ask Master Clay. Around you, you hear a chorus of thumps as various children's heads bounce off wooden planks again and again. Next to you, Zhilan gasps with pain and straightens up, blinking.

"Nah," says Master Clay, "You just need to keep doing it until it stops hurting."

Once again, you attempt the technique. You remember that you have used your head in techniques before - striking with various non-limb body parts was a staple of Master Yi's Wuju Style, and indeed a timely headbutt was what defeated Feng Wei in the tournament at Ningyo months ago - but this does not feel like a particularly useful lesson to you. Remembering the unorthodox nature of Master Yi's lessons, you resolve to keep trying, though the constant impacts on your forehead are beginning to hurt more rather than less.

Finally, you give up. "Is there any point to this lesson?" you say, frustrated.

"The point is to smash a board with your head," Master Clay grunts, crossing his arms.

"Yes, but what are we meant to learn? Will this technique be useful in combat?"

"You are meant to learn," Clay says, gritting his teeth and overpronouncing every word as if speaking to an idiot, "how to smash a board with your head. It'll probably come in handy. Sometime."

"Ah, I see," Zhilan says sagely. "It's a technique for centering your qi."

"What? No, " Master Clay says. "It's a technique for smashing boards with your forehead. Now stop arguing and start smashing your forehead into the plank! Or are you a veteran master of Kung-Fu now? Which one of us has the Ancient Wisdom of the Shaolin Masters here, you or me?"

"I don't think you do, come to think of it!" Zhilan sneers, straightening up.

Clay frowns. "Are you calling me a fraud?"

You...

A: ...declare Master Clay to be a fraud, in front of everyone, exposing him for the charlatan he clearly is and defending Zhilan's honour!

B: ...say nothing and continue with the lesson.

C: ...turn around and leave. You don't need this!

D: ...attack Master Clay, to prove the superiority of the Wuju Style over all this board hitting!

Stats
Spoiler :

Orthodoxy: 52

Endurance: 6/8

Skills:
Dodge: 2
Gambling: 1
Guns: 0
Medicine: 0
Meelee: 2
Neigong: 2
Qinggong: 1
Repair: 0
Speech: 2
Stealth: 0
Survival: 0
Unarmed: 4
Wisdom: 2

Equipment
Spoiler :

8 Gong
1 Martial Arts Robes
1 Peasants Clothes
1 Wokou Battle Rifle (5)
1 Combat Knife
1 Masterwork Sabre
1 Burn Ointment
1 Gertie's Record

Tianxia: 10
Wo: -50
Peasantry: 70
Bandits: -70
Orthodox Sects: 10
Unorthodox Sects: -10
Master Yi: 85
Jue Zhilan: 55
Huashan: 100
Beggars: 78
Kunlun: -25
Kongtong: 5
Soo Bao: 10
Wudang: 0
Haiyang Police: 35
Sung Family: -20

Party
Spoiler :

Jue Zhilan:[/i] (Independent)
-Martial Arts Robes
-Peasants Clothes
-Wokou Officer's Revolver (3)
-Jian

Active Quests

Spoiler :

Investigate the Murder of the Museum Curator
A museum curator from the Provisional Capital by the name of Shyu Manchu has been murdered in Ningyo. Travel to Singqi to investigate his death.

Academic Misconduct
Doctor Wen has asked you to steal the research notes of his old assistant, Fan Tsuen, as revenge.

Last edited:
A, it will lead to C eventually.

Nah, A will lead to D. ;)

Option D!

A wins.

"In fact," you say, standing up, "I am! You are clearly a charlatan, and I don't think you ever learned any secrets of Shaolin at all!" (+5 Orthodoxy, +10 Reputation with Jue Zhilan)

"You stupid kid!" Clay bellows, "what would you even know?" His face goes red, and he balls up his fists. The chorus of head-meets-plank bangs ends, as the gaggle of children turn to look at Clay and you. "I am challenging you then, to show you who's boss. We spar, full contact, no weapons - first to surrender or unconsciousness wins!"

"Oooooooooh!" the children chorus.

"Or are you a coward?" Clay sneers.

You...

A: ...accept the challenge and fight Clay!

B: ...reject the challenge and leave!

C: ...back down and accept Clay's clear knowledge and wisdom!

D: ...challenge Clay to a duel with weapons, instead of unarmed!

E: ...draw your blade and attack Clay right now!

Spoiler stats :

Orthodoxy: 57

Skills:

Equipment
Spoiler :

8 Gong
1 Martial Arts Robes
1 Peasants Clothes
1 Wokou Battle Rifle (5)
1 Combat Knife
1 Masterwork Sabre
1 Burn Ointment
1 Gertie's Record

Jue Zhilan: 65

Party
Spoiler :

Jue Zhilan:[/i] (Independent)
-Martial Arts Robes
-Peasants Clothes
-Jian

Active Quests

Spoiler :

A museum curator from the Provisional Capital by the name of Shyu Manchu has been murdered in Ningyo. Travel to Singqi to investigate his death.

Academic Misconduct
Doctor Wen has asked you to steal the research notes of his old assistant, Fan Tsuen, as revenge. Steal his notes and return them to Doctor Wen.

Last edited:
A, we are *masters* of Wuju, armed and unarmed.

A wins.

"Fight! Fight! Fight!" Master Clay's students chant, as both of you move to the center of the room. The chanting begins to reach a crescendo as they form a circle around you, Zhilan standing behind the students. "Knock him dead!" she cries bloodthirstily, over the sound of the children (+5 Orthdoxy, +5 Reputation with Zhilan).

"Alright kid," Clay grunts as he rubs his hands together, "you want to square up with a Master of the Shaolin Secrets, you can square up with me!"

You say nothing, and get yourself into the stance that Master Yi taught you.

"Fight!" Zhilan yells. You remain on the defensive, but rather than attacking, Clay puts his palms together. He screws his eyes shut, and, his hands still together, begins to breathe slowly and deeply.

"HRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR," he yells. Abruptly, his eyes open, and with a cry, he launches himself at you. You are prepared, and skilfully dodge aside - his bizarre display gave you plenty of time to prepare. He stabilises himself where you just were, and turns again. You send out a probing strike, and he clumsily deflects it as he lashes out at you with his fist. You parry the blow, but despite the clumsiness of the strike, you wince from the force behind it - if nothing else, Master Clay is as physically strong as he appears. You turn into the blow, and lash into his chest with your elbow. As he staggers back, you send a side-kick into his knee, and finish with a strong punch to his forehead. Clay falls back, groaning, and as he falls his head smashes into the wooden floor. (Moderate Unarmed Challenge: Passed) You squat down - he is clearly unconscious, and you raise your fist in triumph. Around you, the children begin to cheer.

"Well, that was a waste of time," you say to Zhilan, shrugging. Behind you, Clay (clearly no longer Master, and almost certainly, you think, a fraud) awakens, and without a word, grumpily stalks out, his face burning bright red around the developing bruise on his forehead. You want to say something, but he has already left. "I don't think we really learned anything today," you finish.

Zhilan frowns. "Let's just go, before the rest of this day is wasted."

You feel an insistent tugging on your robe. You look down, to see one of Clay's students doing the tugging.

"So, uh," the child says, "can you teach us?"

You decide to...

A: ...refuse to teach Clay's students.

B: ...teach them for free.

C: ...teach them for the same price Clay charged, 2 gong a week.

D: ...teach them for even more!

E: ...point them at Master Yi, at Mt Cao, to teach them.

Spoiler stats :

Orthodoxy: 62

Skills:

Equipment
Spoiler :

8 Gong
1 Martial Arts Robes
1 Peasants Clothes
1 Wokou Battle Rifle (5)
1 Combat Knife
1 Masterwork Sabre
1 Burn Ointment
1 Gertie's Record

Jue Zhilan: 70

Party
Spoiler :

Jue Zhilan: (Independent)
-Martial Arts Robes
-Peasants Clothes
-Jian

Active Quests
Spoiler :

B

Top Bottom