Poor interface

Has anyone complained about the lack of border growth information yet?

Or the fact that you can't click on the giant circle with the building you're constructing in it in order to open the building construction screen?

Above all else, the UI designers need to be punished for this. Everyone else at Firaxis can have a nice party and celebrate a job well done. The UI designers though aught to be chained to their desk and fed only enough cat food to keep them alive until they fix this mess. Whipped too, they need to be whipped -constantly. :hmm::whipped:

Last edited:
Yeah I hate how I can't tell where my borders are going to grow. I'm just spending massive amounts of money buying tiles because my borders expand so slow. Even with the fast border expansion pantheon and building theater districts. Maybe I'm not understanding the rules here. How do you get your borders to grow faster?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think in some of the previews on youtube, the popup when you hover over a district in the build menu would tell you about it's adjacency bonuses. Now it doesn't and if I don't remember them by heart I have to go into civilopedia to learn about potential future adjacency bonuses when I'm trying to decide where to put it.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think in some of the previews on youtube, the popup when you hover over a district in the build menu would tell you about it's adjacency bonuses. Now it doesn't and if I don't remember them by heart I have to go into civilopedia to learn about potential future adjacency bonuses when I'm trying to decide where to put it.
You can also hover over them in the tech screen screen to get a list of them, maybe a bit quicker than the civilopedia.

I found the interface great actually, much easier to use than the previous games, and doesnt annoy you too much with pop ups at the start of the turn

It's a little bit irritating that there's no confirmation window when you select things like "Denounce" in the diplomacy screen. It's pretty easy to accidentally miss and click "Denounce".

You can edit the tooltip delay yourself in the lua \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\ToolTips

local TIME_DEFAULT_PAUSE :number = 1.1; (change that 1.1 to anything from 0.0 up

Its 1.1 seconds currently, you can make it longer and shorter to your hearts desire.

Its realtime too so you can save it switch to game and see how it goes with different values, no game reload required

Thanks for that, I like it much better at 0 and this fix worked for me.

my best description is the UI is wonky compared to civ 4 and civ 5. and it all comes down to keybindings and shortcut keys.

I've been playing civilization since the very first one in the early 1990s. and we need more keyboard shortcuts.... i agree, i think whoever designed the UI is not a long time civ player because we have none of these keyboard shortcuts

S for Sentry

there's a lot more we need but we're missing that one

Thanks for that, I like it much better at 0 and this fix worked for me.
Am I just being stupid here? When I change the number to anything - my aim is 0.3 - the tool tips no longer work and I have to re-verify the game cache to get it to work.

Many of the game systems are ruined by unfriendly interface. Most annoying to me is how difficult it is to find the District adjacency bonuses. Also many abilities unlocked by techs do not have icons. Even the start page doesn't accurately or fully explain what your unique bonuses are. I'm sure there is a fun game in there, but I was hoping the AI not the UI to give me a challenge.

Am I just being stupid here? When I change the number to anything - my aim is 0.3 - the tool tips no longer work and I have to re-verify the game cache to get it to work.

All I did was change that number to 0 then save the text file. Not much room for screwing it up, so I'd guess it's something with your system, not with what you are doing.

I tried .3 too after reading your post and that also works for me

All I did was change that number to 0 then save the text file. Not much room for screwing it up, so I'd guess it's something with your system, not with what you are doing.

I tried .3 too after reading your post and that also works for me

What program did you use to read the file? Also did you write 0.3 or just .3?

The game doesn't save your settings for the next game. Every single time I have to disable score victory, change map size, etc. Just... why?

I find it very painful to be unable to zoom out far enough, and to be totally unable to zoom out in strategic view.
I also find it almost impossible to tell whether a resoruce is improved or not. I can't make the difference between a farmed rice and an unfarmed one.
In my first play through, I was mostly oblivious of the map, despite Ed Beach saying he wanted to make it more relevant. It's just too flahsy and cluttered, I can hardly see anything so I ignore it.
I also miss a unit list map such as the military screen in Civ IV. With units half-invisible and no obvious way of finding them, it's a real pain when you want to wake up your army to answer an attack.
The city bombard interface is also poor. Very small icon, you need to wait for the red arrow to show before you can actually hit your target.
Civilopedia is ugly, with no back button and not obvious links.
Diplomacy screen I haven't understood yet. How to remove something from a deal? I can reduce the amount to 1, but not 0. And I can't seem to be able to type an amount either.

I couldn't get on with Civ IV because I disliked the UI. Reading this lot, I'll certainly wait till at least the first patch release before buying this. Civ V has faults alright, but at least the UI is pretty good.

Bring back Civ II !

So many small issues, if only they'd used the budget for the trailer to hire someone to clean up the interface.

- The city "screen" is awful. No idea why the default is a long list of amenity information when all you really need to know is what your surplus is. So much info is missing or hidden a few clicks away. the default should show a summary of all important information with the option to access more detail (like the long list of where your amenities are coming from). The build list covering up the bottom right area, which actually does a decent job of summarizing things, is also a huge failure.

- Don't get me started on trade routes. Unless I'm missing something they're repeating the same mistake from V where the previous trade route was not highlighted. 90% of the time I want to repeat the same trade route.

- Another repeat... when a Civ pops up to say something to you and all you get is a "Goodbye" button with no option to enter any diplomacy. This is another dumb thing repeated from V. If a you have a diplomacy interruption at least allow me to access the diplomacy options.

- Almost all of the extra info screens repeat the same design failure from V. That of course is the use of box areas which don't scale to what's inside them. You usually get large empty areas, or boxes unnecessarily constrained in a small space.

- Fonts are often too small, or are of a hard to read color (civilopedia is the worst). Also the number on how many turns it will take a unit to move is often difficult to make out.

- Spy missions.... why is their a list of possible missions and a confirm button at the bottom? Clicking on a mission should act as confirmation for moving to that city, all you need is a cancel button. Clicking confirm, and then having to choose the mission is just awkward and unnecessary.

- The score screen is not sorted highest to lowest. I mean really?

- Finally, on the diplomacy screen, figuring out what luxuries are befitting you is next to impossible. What happens if I give you this? No idea.

Top Bottom