Civ VI no compatible graphic device

Same problem for me. Intel HD Graphics 3000, was having no problems running Civ V as recently as yesterday (and it started up a few minutes ago). I've already done a driver search and I think I am current.
me too, dd1 11.1 but "No compatible graphic device found. Please ensure that your system has a correctly configured, compatible graphic device."

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    23 KB · Views: 1,303
Hello,
I'm with the same issues as all of you with my GTX260 :(. It was working to play on Civ 5 but it seems to be impossible for Civ 6..

Hello all,

For all of you with Integrated Intel HD 3000 or similar cards (That had directx support end with dx10) listen up. There is a way to still run the game.

What you'll need to do first is download " dxcpl.exe " or the DirectX Control Panel. Now this software is older (Dx11 days and before) so finding a link can be hard. I have a mediafire link (http://www.mediafire.com/file/1vhqoxk68e3arco/dxcpl.exe ) here is the virus total scan: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...1d23728019dfaf10b5d7c1fd/analysis/1477198600/

Once that's downloaded, run the exe and you'll be prompted with a control panel settings window.

It should look like this: https://i.imgur.com/Q13ApDl.jpg

Click the "Edit List" button and add the Civ VI.exe (under your steam directory).

Once you're done with that, on the main control panel screen check the "Force WARP" box and click okay.

Now run the EXE from the file explorer (You may be able to run it from steam but I haven't tried it yet).

You should expect to get about 5-10 fps with intel hd 3000 graphics, maybe more if you use strategic view.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Last edited:
Hello all,

For all of you with Integrated Intel HD 3000 or similar cards (That had directx support end with dx10) listen up. There is a way to still run the game.

What you'll need to do first is download " dxcpl.exe " or the DirectX Control Panel. Now this software is older (Dx11 days and before) so finding a link can be hard. I have a mediafire link (http://www.mediafire.com/file/1vhqoxk68e3arco/dxcpl.exe ) here is the virus total scan: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...1d23728019dfaf10b5d7c1fd/analysis/1477198600/

Once that's downloaded, run the exe and you'll be prompted with a control panel settings window.

It should look like this: https://i.imgur.com/Q13ApDl.jpg

Click the "Edit List" button and add the Civ VI.exe (under your steam directory).

Once you're done with that, on the main control panel screen check the "Force WARP" box and click okay.

Now run the EXE from the file explorer (You may be able to run it from steam but I haven't tried it yet).

You should expect to get about 5-10 fps with intel hd 3000 graphics, maybe more if you use strategic view.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

i tried to fix that error with your solutions, but its didn't work can you help me pls, ?????

I finally got it to run by doing the msconfig.exe boot thing to get C++2015 to install. Then I got this graphics card issue. The link to the dxcpl.exe worked to force it to run. So now I can play the game, but not really. It is so super slow that it is unplayable. 4 minutes to end the first turn, huge delay mousing over stuff and trying to do unit moves & etc. I am a bit surprised since my Qosmio X505 is pretty much top of the line laptop from about 5 years ago. It is intel i5 M430 with 4GB ram, win 7. Graphics is Nvidia GE Force GTS 360M with directX 11.0, 1 GB DDR5. I looked here and I am class 3 of 6 in graphics cards: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTS-360M.24058.0.html

Anyway, is there anything I can do to speed it up? I don't want to buy a new graphics card, at that point I feel I may as well buy a new laptop :(

Ali Emre, try what Chris Withers did to install C++ 2015 as that may be your problem. Also make sure you've checked "Force WARP"

Chris Withers, I don't think there is much you can do performance wise besides what you'd normally do. Graphics -> low, Resolution to the lowest supported, Etc.
Unfortunately even a top of the line 5 year old desktop gpu is going to show it's age on new games - much less a mobile gpu. You may be able to play around with config files for lower quality but I do not actually own the game and can't test it for you.

I'll just buy a new high end laptop. Do I have to buy a new civ6 game or does the long access code thing from the gamebox transfer to being able to use the new machine when you log it into Steam?

I'll just buy a new high end laptop. Do I have to buy a new civ6 game or does the long access code thing from the gamebox transfer to being able to use the new machine when you log it into Steam?
All steam games are tied to your steam username / login. When you log into a new PCs Steam you'll be able to re-download your entire steam library.

Ok, another question. For the 17" Alienware laptop, for just playing Civ6 and absolutely not caring about any other gaming, for a GPU is the GTX1060 6Gb overkill vs the GTX970M which is 3Gb? Price delta is $200. Or will the higher end GPU make stuff like Turn Ends a lot faster and be tons better in other ways? The 4K screen does not seem worth the extra price vs the 1920x1080 fhd screen, but maybe I'm wrong there.

Ok, another question. For the 17" Alienware laptop, for just playing Civ6 and absolutely not caring about any other gaming, for a GPU is the GTX1060 6Gb overkill vs the GTX970M which is 3Gb? Price delta is $200. Or will the higher end GPU make stuff like Turn Ends a lot faster and be tons better in other ways? The 4K screen does not seem worth the extra price vs the 1920x1080 fhd screen, but maybe I'm wrong there.

Yes, the 1060 would be overkill for Civ6. You may see a slight performance with the 1060, but to save yourself $200 ....
If you were playing other games besides turn-based I'd say go with the 1060.

Also, 4K vs 1080p would entirely be up to you.

I've had same problems, which I posted on another threads. Windows 10 64 bit, i5 chip, 6Mb RAM. My machine runs really smoothly. But my NVIDIA G-Force 240 card seems to disqualify me from running it.

I decided I'm not going to get a new card just to play Civ VI and will wait until I upgrade the PC which may happen within the next year. In the meantime I got a full refund from Steam.

I'm disappointed. I don't expect to be able to play high-end shooters or graphics-heavy RTS games with my set-up. But, really, a turn-based strategy game with relatively simple animations? I would have happily compromised on graphics quality - it is a real shame that Firaxis haven't designed for lower end graphics cards and machines.

Great post Schalke 04. Tbh I probably won't re-purchase, given what you say it sounds like performance will be painfully slow.

Great post Schalke 04. Tbh I probably won't re-purchase, given what you say it sounds like performance will be painfully slow.
it runs, but it is not playable in a fun way. Every action lasts several seconds. And with action I mean stuff like moving a unit from one tile to another... I don't mind a longer turn timer, but when the game itself is so slow, it is just too much for me.
But I am running minimum specs on CPU and RAM AND use an GPU-emulator that drain resources from it.

I had the same problem. This solved it:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/threa...-card-that-does-not-support-directx11.601426/

It might help you, especially if you have a CPU a little bit better than required as minimum.

I bought myself a new Graphics instead. Wish I would have seen this, my Comp is 12-core hyper-threaded 2.8ghz Xeon server processor with 24GB RAM; the video card was a Firegl v770 (circa 2008 but a High end card at the time). I could probably have played with this work around. Oh well, new card installed. I had some minor issues getting it to run, apparently there is a bug with Windows Defender. I had to add an exception for Civ 6. After the video card thing I was pretty angry when i STILL couldn't play. But its all good now.

Some things to speed it up:
- Of course go into the graphics settings and turn everything to their lowest. There was one setting in there that confused me as to what was the lowest setting for graphics use, can't recall the name but it had a 2, 4, 8 and some other option I think, and the wording was confusing.

- set "Start in Strategic View" in Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\UserOptions.txt to 1

I had 220 second end turns on my laptop and doing that last thing above changed it to 40 seconds. I still have to buy a new laptop that will meet specs but at least I can play a little bit now until I get my new computer. Emphasis on "a little bit", it is quite slow in game, so it is hard to even move a unit for me. I don't meet min specs on the GPU.

Also, you could play with the GraphicsOptions file in that same path. I think some of the stuff in it you might not have the ability to set from within the game, so you might be able to dial stuff down further. Let me know if anyone plays with this stuff and finds something else that helps.

Last edited:
Can you turn off the graphics check? I know my card is under spec but, I'd like to continue. It's a 1g gt240 and has dx12. It should work, just very slowly.
So, Firaxis, please make the graphics check be more forgiving. If you have 1g card and dx12, it will work. Warn us and allow us to continue.

hi, i just got this issue a while, but before it i play quiet smoothly. so this issue appear after i uninstall a program called displaylink, but after i install it again, the program runs without any problem, so for my case, i only need to install the displaylink program, for some reason i cannot copy paste the link here, just try to google search it, it should appear at the first

Top Bottom