Best starting military build order?

Kylar

Chieftain
I haven't played since Civ 4 and am struggling with early game barbarians on Prince. They come in waves. I'm not sure what military units I should prioritize right off the bat. I'm playing as the Sumerians. The chariot is great but very expensive. Should I have a mix of warriors and slingers, or focus more heavily on slingers? What do you think the best approach is for wiping out barbarian camps early on (< turn 50 or sooner)? And overall I'm going scout-builder-military-military should I be going a different direction?

Don't bother with scouts when playing Sumer. Sumerian war carts are awesome against barbs, and make very good replacement scouts as well. Don't worry about cost (but they are cheap, and immediately available) -- just pump out 4 or 5. Build at least one slinger to kill a barb and trigger the archery eureka boost and then supplement the war carts with some archers when Archery is done. Not only is that enough to deal with barbs, but you can rock your neighbors as well with that army.

As for barb camps, attack them as soon as you find them, with whatever you have at hand. If you allow them to start popping out units, they can drive you nuts.

Thanks. It just seems like it takes me 11-14 turns to build a cart at the beginning - maybe I should rearrange my workers for production over food?

That ability comes with later game civics: Nationalism (Industrial era) allows you to form 2-unit corps (or fleets) and Mobilization (Modern era) allows you to form 3-unit armies (or armadas).

I just started King with Scout-Builder-Scout-Warrior-Settler, I think. For the most part I avoided barbs, or just posted one unit between them and my improved tiles. At least in my game, the barbs seemed to come one at a time, not too dangerous. And the CSs did a lot of anti-barb work. I started at one end of a continent, with room to grow peacefully to 8 or 9 cities amongst 4 CSs. I'm sure the barb threat varies with how crowded your start is.

Scout > Builder > 2 Slinger. For barbarians you probably need to add another warrior or two. Otherwise just spam slingers/archers if you are dealing with civs.

I just started King with Scout-Builder-Scout-Warrior-Settler, I think. For the most part I avoided barbs, or just posted one unit between them and my improved tiles. At least in my game, the barbs seemed to come one at a time, not too dangerous. And the CSs did a lot of anti-barb work. I started at one end of a continent, with room to grow peacefully to 8 or 9 cities amongst 4 CSs. I'm sure the barb threat varies with how crowded your start is.
You got really lucky. None of my games have been that light on barbarians.
I feel lucky sometimes to get scout-slinger-builder off, sometimes I need more military right out the gate, have to forgo scouts and delay builders.

But yeah, for Sumeria specifically - warcarts. Lovely, lovely warcarts. 2 then a builder, then maybe a slinger and another cart.

Ok so completed and won my first Civ 6 deity game with Scythia and currently I am playing a game as China now.
The perfect military BO IMHO should be scout,slingerX5,granary,archers. Currently being super aggressive and killing your closest neighbor seems to be paying dividends in the deity game. The slinger army acts both as barbarian repellent and conquering force. Instead of wasting production or 1 pop on a settler or builder,try attacking your neighbor and stealing them. Not only will you get free settlers,builders but also remove an early threat. Also archers are way too OP both for barbarians and against the Civ 6 AI units. The early game deity AI spams warriors and later chariots. Archers with minimal support will cut through them all.
After killing your first neighbor you will snowball and start killing all the other AI. Archers last till T80 but can still be a decent force till T110(based on my limited deity play).You should build up an army of 15-20 archers(they last a long time). You can worry about settlers/campuses/builders later.

Last edited:
Agree...beeline to archers. Way OP. If you are having barb trouble on Prince level just pump out walls and an encampment. With one archer there you can mow anything down coming for your city.

Sumer: Warcart, warcart, warcart. Maybe warcart next.
Seriously. You want to find out barb outposts and clear them. They act as tribal villages, which means they give you eurekas or gold or heal you or give you free scouts or give you experience.
So they are better than a builder early on. They'll give you science and gold.
You can also find an AI civ and steal their settlers and builders. Even Tomyris is ridiculously weak against early warcart rush.
If you play anything but Sumer, then ok go with scouts and builders. I suppose Aztecs want eagle warriors though.

Top Bottom