Buy now or wait until updates/fixes?

It's unpolished, but it's pretty fun. It's way more similar to civ v than civ v was to civ iv.

It's definitely going to be much better with time, but I think it's in good enough shape that buying now is not a bad option. Sure, there is the occasional (actually: rare) bug, and there are some glaring balance issues, but nothing that leaves the game unplayable as it is.

Personally I'm waiting 3 months, I want the Aztecs and maybe some patches to fix the AI will pop in the meantime. Also, price drop perhaps.

If you were a very competitive civ5 player who mostly played on immortal/deity and used to abusing AI weakness - then it'll be too easy for you right now.
If you were more of a roleplayer/builder/experimenter go get it. It's amazing, even now.

Waiting for the first major patch in a few weeks might be a good compromise, I guess. They'll probably fix the worst annoyances rather quickly.

I actually never ventured above emperor lol even then it was very difficult for me. I usually play around king or so. =D

I wonder if there are ppl who LOVE civ iv exclusively that enjoy civ 6?

I actually never ventured above emperor lol even then it was very difficult for me. I usually play around king or so. =D

I wonder if there are ppl who LOVE civ iv exclusively that enjoy civ 6?
I liked IV better than V for sure. I like VI a lot; better than V although it definitely could use a patch.

if you don't mind really passive Ai at the renaissance era and beyond then yes

and if you don't mind that war is out of the question if you declare war one time the whole world will denounce

diplomacy is a little bit messed up.

I am heavily on the fence as well. I am very wary of purchasing any game on release now. So far the bad news about the AI is putting me off. I see no point in a game like this if the AI is so bad.

It's basically the same with every version: the game gets significantly better with time. At release some features are missing, the AI is struggling, there are bugs and awkward things. At the same time - the game is new and feels new. That's fun. I have played 3 full games so far and had a blast. I probably will stop playing it in a couple of weeks and wait for a big patch or DLC or something like that - but until then I will have weill a lot of hours of fun with it, and more fun when the game gets better.

So it's up to how much you get annoyed by the problems the game has now...

As a city builder it's kind of fun. Much moreso than any of the previous games.

The AI though. Oh wow is it terrible. It actually manages to make the Civ V Vanilla diplomacy look rational. The agenda system that sounded so promising basically translates to "Everyone is angry at you all of the time" and only half the time do they bother to tell you why. The agendas may as well not even exist because they get buried in the sea of negativity thrown at you. So I end up just saying screw it, just kill everyone, or at least ignore their complaining. Even the friendlier AIs are impossibly capricious. Kongo gets mad if you don't spread your religion to him the instant you found it, Rome is already whining about your small empire when you're still working on your first Settler, and the whole lot loses their minds if you so much as get involved in one war. I am, as I write this, diving through the XML to see what I can salvage while we await a patch (I already lowered the cost of all buildings by 25% but even that doesn't seem to be enough).

I am enjoying the game, it still has the new car smell, however I can't help but feel that while some things appear more complex (deconstructing cities, separating tech from culture and ethics) I'm not sure that a little too much 'dumbing-down' is going on here. Graphics seem simpler, albeit higher-res, the punishment of scaling costs for building too many of the same districts, the opaqueness of the random 'amenities' concept and the rather banal leader conversations makes me think that this version might have been designed to cater for the broadest possible audience; perhaps not great at one thing, but 'ok' at many. I hope that a few of the most obvious and needed omissions (renaming cities, build queues etc.) will come along in patch one. However - the fact that they have been a part of CIV for so long makes me think they were left out for a reason - I can't believe Firaxis would have simply 'forgotten' to include them. If it was deliberate - I wonder why...

I will definitely wait, around a year at least, wait for all the improvements, bug fixes and expansions happen/arrive.

Roads. By far the most annoying, opaque mechanic. I want to BUILD dammit!

If you were a very competitive civ5 player who mostly played on immortal/deity and used to abusing AI weakness - then it'll be too easy for you right now.
If you were more of a roleplayer/builder/experimenter go get it. It's amazing, even now.

Waiting for the first major patch in a few weeks might be a good compromise, I guess. They'll probably fix the worst annoyances rather quickly.

I have to agree with this statement. I fall into that Deity player who loved to exploit just about everything. I am the MP player that would rush you with Comps, a Horse and a Spear ending your game before turn 40. I am playing it but not having near as much fun as I did with Civ V which I put over 10,000 hours into SP and MP. Even though I hate the look of this game I am optimistic that it might be better than Civ V in the long run but I also think that what hard core Civ players loved in the past are going to in the past.

This is good to hear :)

It's basically the same with every version: the game gets significantly better with time. At release some features are missing, the AI is struggling, there are bugs and awkward things. At the same time - the game is new and feels new. That's fun. I have played 3 full games so far and had a blast. I probably will stop playing it in a couple of weeks and wait for a big patch or DLC or something like that - but until then I will have weill a lot of hours of fun with it, and more fun when the game gets better.

So it's up to how much you get annoyed by the problems the game has now...

Yeah, I'm probably going to complete a handful of games (possibly one of each victory type) then put it off until the game is in a better state.

Just curious, I decided to wait to get Civ 6, I'm wondering based on your impressions...should I continue to wait for updates and fixes or should I get it now? I was afraid the bugs and unbalances would make the experience not as enjoyable.
Here's how I see it. It's not perfect, but it's fun. You can have fun with it now, then when the fixes come, you can appreciate how much better it is, even though it was already good. The AI does have odd moments, but it also has moments of genius. It will never be perfect. Waiting for that is futility in any 4X game.

You're probably going to have the same amount of fun with it whether you get it now or wait. Your brain will be too preoccupied trying to wrap itself around all the new stuff to notice the shortcomings for some time.

Personally I'm waiting 3 months, I want the Aztecs and maybe some patches to fix the AI will pop in the meantime. Also, price drop perhaps.
BE didn't go on sale once during the first year, despite being so poorly received. So you'll hopefully get two out of three of those goals (tho AI isn't going to be improved beyond where it ever was...)

Top Bottom