Production, the only yield that matters

As an aside, Germany is currently by far the strongest civ in the game, on account of being able to build half-cost industrial zones with no penalty to district totals.

What does the +3 Factory bonus production cover in 6 tiles? Does the +3 Production apply to each individual tile, or does it apply one production bonus per city?

The production bonuses from multiple factories (or power plants, or the amenity bonuses from zoos or stadiums) that are in range of a particular city will stack with each other, and with additional cities that are also in range. So, if City A is within 6 tiles of 3 Factories, it will get 3 Factory bonuses, and City B, which is also in range of those same 3 Factories, will also get bonuses from the same factories.

The production bonuses from multiple factories (or power plants, or the amenity bonuses from zoos or stadiums) that are in range of a particular city will stack with each other, and with additional cities that are also in range. So, if City A is within 6 tiles of 3 Factories, it will get 3 Factory bonuses, and City B, which is also in range of those same 3 Factories, will also get bonuses from the same factories.
I'm getting some ideas for city placements. What would be optimal city placements? Place a city that is 5 tiles away from another city center?

I'm getting some ideas for city placements. What would be optimal city placements? Place a city that is 5 tiles away from another city center?
It doesn't matter where your city centers are in relation to each other. What matters is how far each industrial zone is from other city centers.

But unless you're doing SE - you're going to need to spam cottages whether you like to or not, it's just how you scale properly. People were raising an aesthetic issue with a necessary mechanic of the game.

Well currently - Industrial overlap is pretty much necessary. While people might not like it, I have a hard time imagining that with a radius of 6 hexes that overlap, that it wasn't part of the design goal for people to make liberal use of that mechanic - Late game production was probably scaled with this in mind which is why many people are noticing that they get into the later eras and can barely build anything in a reasonable amount.

It doesn't matter whether I like the mechanic or not. It appears to be part of how the game is played.

Ok, wait what. What things are we allowed to complain about, then. If the game can't be criticized for offering no reward to any but the most tedious, eye-soreing spam tactics, what should we criticize it for? I can't even imagine what complaint wouldn't qualify for a rebuke by this logic. "Sure nothing in the game does anything, literally 95% of the decisions have no payoff, and only putting a giant red and yellow statue of a hammer on every tile gives you a ten turn reduction in your space victory, but that's just how it is - adapt!"

As for "late game production was probably scaled," I doubt the devs even played many games into late era before release, and besides, CiV always had this problem of busted hammer costs forcing the player not to include most buildings in their empire until already two, three eras in the future, (amphitheaters? four eras) which voids the whole logic of the tech tree and the game itself. Haha! Great job guiding your library with a workshop attached to it through history. What? Your people just went through the entire pre-industrial era without seeing one play? Sounds fine no problem here.

And all just because, and this is in an interview from back in the day, the devs couldn't come up with a better way to keep down unit spam that would fill up the tiles, except to make all projects twice as expensive as they should be.

That's not a design goal. That's a design problem.

But... it is. Not saying there isn't an argument for it to be changed but Look at the National College slingshot or pretty much the entire science behind chopping and whipping in civ4. Optimal strategies arise and you either make use of them or you don't. But I don't even think this is on that level of cheese, honestly - it's more like, say, Spamming cottages in civ4. Tons of people complained about that because they didn't like the way the landscape looked, i.e how their empire looked. But unless you're doing SE - you're going to need to spam cottages whether you like to or not, it's just how you scale properly. People were raising an aesthetic issue with a necessary mechanic of the game.

Well currently - Industrial overlap is pretty much necessary. While people might not like it, I have a hard time imagining that with a radius of 6 hexes that overlap, that it wasn't part of the design goal for people to make liberal use of that mechanic - Late game production was probably scaled with this in mind which is why many people are noticing that they get into the later eras and can barely build anything in a reasonable amount.

It doesn't matter whether I like the mechanic or not. It appears to be part of how the game is played.

You're just describing how things are. We already agree on that. Doesn't really matter if it's intended or not (who knows...).
I just don't think it's a good idea. Like, what would be so bad if we remove industrial districts and lower costs ? I feel it defeats a lot of the game objectives advertised like playing the map or specializing your cities when your goal is to pack cities with a commercial and industrial district in each before focusing on other stuff.

I will say that in my previous game I made decent use of this, having 5 cities with the overlap (I said 4 in my OP but I double checked). Its not 9, but at the same time I had Ruh Valley, which is a significant boom. You can't be expected to get that wonder every game to have a chance at a science victory.

And its not just late game, even early on buildings, districts, and wonders take huge numbers of hammers to build. 20 turns I am finding is not an uncommon number.

Agreed. I abandoned a start i got that had NO hills, just grassland, marshes and resources.

it happens too often.
I am now playing as Hojo, slowly, as the time between turns are slug-paced on my laptop.

It feels that industry cost for districts need to be cut off by 25% minimum, with no escalating costs, and can be bought by gold. It is silly for you to have tons of money and a new city in a different continent, only to have that city wait for eternity to build its first district FOR A LONG LONG TIME. You can only buy granary, monuments, and sewers there and then wait for your first district to be completed. I have a city that grows from 1 to 7 population waiting for its first district to complete.

Seems to scale badly if you increase game length as well, the wonder cost even on Epic is kinda insane and no one is building them (and if they do they're built two eras late)

Have to concur with this. My only game was an epic game, and I was constantly starved for hammers. Near the end, build times on building builders was crazy high.

Production has always been the most important resource in any civ game I've ever played (realizing that sufficient food/happiness is needed in order to work your production tiles).

But it seems that it's just more exclusive and things are more expensive in Civ VI.

There's also a rich get richer aspect to industrial districts getting bonuses from adjacent mines and quarries. Of all the districts they chose to get adjacency bonuses from hexes that already provide the specified main resource, this might have been a bit too much.

Hey what about this: I've noticed that when I build up a city with lots of districts, it eventually has lots of nice domestic trade bonuses for trade routes that come into the city. But what if it were the other way around? Then you could send trade routes from a city with the right districts to your more remote colonies to boost their production. It wouldn't be a ton, but it might be enough so that build times for basic things don't feel so extreme.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the trade route screen and it already works this direction... *goes off to check this*

Works the other way around. Start the trade route in your young city and send the trade route to your food/production/etc. powerhouse cities, to get the young city off to a rapid start.

But... it is. Not saying there isn't an argument for it to be changed but Look at the National College slingshot or pretty much the entire science behind chopping and whipping in civ4. Optimal strategies arise and you either make use of them or you don't. But I don't even think this is on that level of cheese, honestly - it's more like, say, Spamming cottages in civ4. Tons of people complained about that because they didn't like the way the landscape looked, i.e how their empire looked. But unless you're doing SE - you're going to need to spam cottages whether you like to or not, it's just how you scale properly. People were raising an aesthetic issue with a necessary mechanic of the game.

You're right that matter how the game is balanced, there's going to be some best strategy, whether it's 4-city tradition in Civ V or spamming industrial zones in Civ VI. But I think part of the issue is that even if you put Industrial Zones everywhere and get nice adjacency bonuses and factory bonuses, production STILL takes too long for wonders and districts. Units, in comparison, build in about the right times. Something is just off.

Hey what about this: I've noticed that when I build up a city with lots of districts, it eventually has lots of nice domestic trade bonuses for trade routes that come into the city. But what if it were the other way around? Then you could send trade routes from a city with the right districts to your more remote colonies to boost their production. It wouldn't be a ton, but it might be enough so that build times for basic things don't feel so extreme.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the trade route screen and it already works this direction... *goes off to check this*

You need to sent route from the remote colonies to the bigger cities to add food and production. The biggest I have beeen seeing is +6 for each. I

I agree that production times at the moment are a little wonky in some areas and some modes.

I don't think its quite as bad as some are making out, but a city without many hammers is kinda stuffed, yes. If it's a later city you can get around some things by just buying the key buildings to let it serve the role you have for it, and getting some area bonuses, but you don't want it to be one of your first few.

"As an aside, Germany is currently by far the strongest civ in the game, on account of being able to build half-cost industrial zones with no penalty to district totals."

Not sure about this. Depends what victory you're going for. Greece with Gorgo can smash out a very high culture early game with strong melee. If only there was a way to get a classical culture victory...

Top Bottom