Is there anyone who have never (and prob will seldom) play religions?

Cabbagesavager

Chieftain
I dont find religion a fun mechanic, so I never placed any emphasis into religions. It feels liks a spam and collect bonus system to me...

I do still turn on religious victory though, I just stamp on civs that try too hard to spread their missionarism into my cities.

Hate religion myself. I usually try to found one, just cus.. score points. But I never bother trying to spread it outside my borders. The AI gets so intsense on building missionaries etc it's just so tedious trying to keep up. If I happen to found an early religion with good bonuses, and a particularly religiously aggressive Civ just won't stop, then I will wipe them out. For the principle.

I haven't focused on getting a Religion too much. What I have done on my Immortal and Deity games is to kill my neighbor and I ended up spreading his Religion everywhere for some time with apostles. After I got the Civic that allows Faith Buying for Troops I exploited the heck out of that since I was able to buy a troop every two turns or so in the Mid Game. The first day the game came out I decided to run 50 - 100 turns on Emperor to see if I could get Stonehenge and how that worked. I got it with ease actually and founded a Religion but the wisecracking comments about Stonehenge and the animation turned me off so bad that I scrapped that game since I would of just rolled the AI with swarms of troops.

I haven't focused on getting a Religion too much. What I have done on my Immortal and Deity games is to kill my neighbor and I ended up spreading his Religion everywhere for some time with apostles. After I got the Civic that allows Faith Buying for Troops I exploited the heck out of that since I was able to buy a troop every two turns or so in the Mid Game. The first day the game came out I decided to run 50 - 100 turns on Emperor to see if I could get Stonehenge and how that worked. I got it with ease actually and founded a Religion but the wisecracking comments about Stonehenge and the animation turned me off so bad that I scrapped that game since I would of just rolled the AI with swarms of troops.

What turns were you getting stonehenge? On King I got it with ease. But on my last 2 emperor games someone built it by about turn 30, like before I even got the tech to build it.
I wasn't going for it, but I always get scared when I see the wonder built notification popup that someone beat me to my Hanging gardens

i hated it in civ5

the AIs had way too many bonuses for religion spam and there was no skill involved with collecting faith because it wasn't something you could usually get from tile improvements

civ4's system was okay though because it cost science and production to spread religion, and the game was properly designed as far as collecting beakers and hammers

I find it very hard to see how many followers a city has. When my missionary spreads religion in a foreign city, I don't see anything happen, if it's not enough to completely make them my religion followers. You can't hover over it to see what percentage, or whatever, is what religion.

Missionaries and the like should not prevent military units from moving around. That alone makes religion a pain.
I think I'll play on maps with enough players that I can safely ignore religion and not worry about someone winning a religious victory in my back.
Might turn it off but I'm not sure whether it would stop the ai from sending apostles all around the world.

I'll only get a religion if there's some big bonus for my civ. For example with Russia I'm trying to get a cultural victory through religion. It's rather frustrating though that founding religions and spreading them is the only thing the AI does well. So it's a lot more difficult to spread your religion with missionaries than it is to spread your empire with archers.

I tried it in the first aborted game and the second half game I've played so car, but maybe I'm missing something. I can't seem to tell what's going on with the spread or why. I do know that in my first game my religion got wiped out totally by an apostle that came in and bombed my capital. That seemed pretty harsh and almost made me to decide to give up on it altogether, but my second start rolled stone. I build The Henge and the belief that gives +25%/50% to spread. That at least seems to be doing the trick of sending the religion to my own cities (though from what I can tell I can't see what the rate is or pressure from others).

Maybe I'm missing something or maybe the feedback in the interface just isn't that great yet, I don't know. But for the most part the bonuses the religion is granting me don't seem that powerful anyhow, so I might just try giving the religious districts a skip next time and let the AI deal with it.

Religion never really interested me in civ games. In the future I will try to play defensively and keep religion in my cities. My first game I failed to found a religion. My second game was a cheese fest just to get the achivements, deity game against Kongo only for a religious victory. I just finished that one. That will probably the only game I get a religious victory in.

What turns were you getting stonehenge? On King I got it with ease. But on my last 2 emperor games someone built it by about turn 30, like before I even got the tech to build it.
I wasn't going for it, but I always get scared when I see the wonder built notification popup that someone beat me to my Hanging gardens

I only played one game on Emperor trying for it. I don't remember all the details but I am pretty sure I found a Natural Wonder in the first few turns with my warrior. Of course I beelined for Stonehenge and I think my pop was around 4 or 5 when I started building. I remember it being around 30 turns to complete but I got it down to 17 turns. I think I built it before turn 30 or maybe just a few turns after. I really forgot. I should of made a note of that but I was very unhappy with the animation and the wisecracking jargon when I watched the movie of it being built on completion. After that of course I built a bunch of horseman and went on a rampage and scraped the game around turn 60 or so. Perhaps I'll head in now and try a few test runs of building it and seeing how often I get it and report back to you!

I think the religion game is interesting. Can't say if I like it or don't like it yet. At higher difficulties it's really hard to found a religion (unless you're Saladin) and it's pretty much a waste of production to go after it. There are a couple ways to mitigate this though.

1. As someone said earlier, you can take out the Civ that has a religion and take over the religion if they've spread it to you.
2. You can pick Civs to face that are less likely to go for religion first like Kongo and Germany. Don't play against Saladin since you have to race for four prophets instead of five in that case.
3. You can request the religious Civ stop spamming their religion in your lands (it could work with some incentives).

The problem I find with religion is that it's such a huge investment to get that prophet out and it's majorly disappointing when they're gone before you get enough points. If you play as Saladin you don't have to worry about being in the great prophet point race which is really nice.

At lower difficulties getting a religion is quite easy as the AI doesn't beeline hard for it.

Russia, Arabia, Egypt, and China are best suited to obtain the religions first. Spain has no bonus to GET a religion, they only have bonuses once they've found one which makes it risky to play at higher difficulties. Spain without religion is kind of tough to play.

I ran into a situation on Emperor where I random spawned as Spain on a peninsula without fresh water. It was literally a large strip of land extending from the main land mass. I was forced to settle a couple of cities on it first (no fresh water, horsehockey places to build holy sites). I was pushing to get to the main land mass but INDIA was right there. Somehow, I manged to snag the last GP but in typical Gandhi fashion he was spamming missionaries to my cities. I didn't have the faith to compete and I couldn't de-convert my cities since all my apostles/missionaries/inquisitors were being created as Hindu. It was extremely frustrating and forced me to go to war with Gandhi.

I haven't found a mechanic to 'get your religion back' if they've already converted all of your cities. Any info on that front would be helpful.

i want to play religion but now in 1800 i ahve lotterally gathered 100ths and thouzends of reli point but no f'[[,ng great prophet will probably my lack of understanding the game lol

In CiV I was always "that guy" who went for Stonehenge then rushed tithe. If CiVI has a similar free money ability I imagine I'll continue being "that guy".

i want to play religion but now in 1800 i ahve lotterally gathered 100ths and thouzends of reli point but no f'[[,ng great prophet will probably my lack of understanding the game lol

Your game probably reached the maximum amount of religions before you could even found one.

I never play religion - just ignore it.

The lens looks like someone painting the spare room . Yuk .

So I went in as England which I thought was fitting for Stonehenge. I played only 2 games so far. I got it in one game on turn 35 and the other I had no chance as it went off on turn 27. The settings were Emperor/Stand/Stand and all 7 AI were randomized. Beeline for Astrology/Mining after and the first game I built a slinger first and the second game I built a worker first. The first game I found a Natural Wonder but only had a 3 turn boost. I had good growth and was at pop 5 when completed.

Since you have to have stone nearby and you have to build only on flatland on an adjacent tile and you most likely have to find a Natural Wonder I would have to say that Stonehenge is not worth it. On Emperor it probably is a 33% chance to get it. On emperor you can just roll over the AI with ease and whoever built Stonehenge you can make it your personal mission to just destroy them :) ! Personally I do not like all the rules you have to follow to be able to build Stonehenge and having to research a tech that most likely will cost you 18 turns just to try isn't very user friendly. Better to just build Slingers into Archers and get those Horsemen up and go take what you want.

Oh and if you have no stone nearby you either have to go wandering with your settler or just forget it! You could stack the deck in your favor playing certain Civs and re-rolling for that perfect start if that is your sort of thing.

You can only get I think 8 great prophets in the game. Once every one has been claimed by different civs, there can be no more. Therefore only 8 religions allowed in-game. By 1800, all the great prophets probably expired about 1000 years ago.

Top Bottom