Crash to Desktop When Conquering a City Late Game

Erev

Chieftain
So I've done two playthroughs from the ancient era into the early modern era and both times they've been stopped due to a crash to desktop bug that seems to crop up starting around turn 330 or so.

The first was as Germany on autosave 337 when conquering an American city. This repeated itself through several attempts. I tried changing the graphics to no avail. I also left that city alone and went and attempted to conquer another city with the same effect. Attacking the city is fine - it is only when you take it over that the game just sits there for a few seconds (while still letting you scroll around oddly enough) and then dumps you to desktop.

My second game was as America and I was just about to wipe out Arabia on autosave 334 when the same thing happened. It also repeated itself and continued to do so even after I had Steam verify the installation.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Does anyone know how to correct it?

Edit: 2K finally got back to me and basically said 'update windows (already was at the newest version), verify cache (I already had), reinstall directx, and reinstall vcredist'. I did these things and there was no change. Now sending them dxdiag and msinfo.

Last edited:
I have the same problem. I crashed to desktop 3-4 times before I choose to let that city alone to end the turn... :)

I notice it may happens too when I change policies. I could load a save game and on that turn, each time I click on the button to confirm the policies choice ->Crash to desktop!

Reporting back.

Yesterday I was running Steam on Windows 10 on bootcamp, so i just installed the Mac OS version that just came out.

Imported the same saved game. game loads fine, runs fine. But STILL crashes when i take any city. So, this bug is definitively not a Windows/Runtime/Environment issue. This is an internal bug of the game.

I guess, this means its easier to fix than just a compatibility issue with hardware/software?

Do people from this dam company even look at this stuff, I want to know if this is going to be fixed. OR give me some kinda update on it.

Having the same issue.

Edit: The bug also occurs when I try giving cities I conquered during the early game back to the AI in the late game.

Last edited:
it looks as if no one Moderator Action: <snip> bothers to read these things from 2k or Civ. I cant get ANY tech help 2k as far as i can see has 0 tech support. I've seen a lot of people talking about this Moderator Action: <snip> bug except the PEOPLE WHO NEED TO BE.

Moderator Action: Please comply with our rules regarding inappropriate language.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
I can also confirm this bug. Really sucks, I'm twenty hours into this save :(

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-etY4KnLP4Gc3hHTF91VVBKZkk Here's the save file. I'm currently trying to find the first autosave I can where this bug doesn't occur.

But also, everyone needs to realize that Firaxis is aware of and working on the bugs. The game just dropped, and this is a late-game bug that isn't even affecting everyone, so it makes sense it came out with the release. Give them a few days to fix stuff!

chiming in to say I'm in the same boat here. Playing a religious oriented game as Scythia but currently at war with America (though its a pretty inactive war atm). King difficulty, Huge Inland Sea Map, Standard speed. Game crashes while processing AI turns at 357 every time. I've tried going back 1 turn, 15 turns, same spot everytime. I've tried turning my graphics down to the lowest setting, deleting several units in case it was just a computer performance issue, but I don't think that's the case as my rig has been handling the game pretty fine so far.

OP mentioned city taking triggering it, but at least between my war opponent and I no cities are changing hands that turn, though it could be happening elsewhere.

I'm having the same issue. Nuke 2 cities, but when I try to cap them, I don't even get a "Keep City" option, just crash to desktop.

Additionally, even if I get a city in a diplomatic way, it still crashes.

Last edited:
Here is a save that exhibits the bug. Try to cap Cleos only city on this turn with the infantry.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0307.zip
    3 MB · Views: 115
use the artillery and infantry to take Birmingham and see if it crashes.

Crashed on 2 systems. Emailed 2k and they said to reinstall windows. WTF?

Attachments

• QIN SHI HUANG 391 1970 AD.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 180
Just finishing up my first playthrough on Prince + Standard map/speed. When I try to capture the last capital city for a domination win, the game crashes to desktop. I've tried moving on to the next turn and capturing in other ways, etc, but each time it'll crash.

Steam achievements did update to show that the game was won, so it's possibly an issue with the victory screen that's causing the crash?

Attachments

• AutoSave_0384.Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 140
Pfft, reinstall windows! lol.

2K: "Try traveling to Syria and joining ISIS. There's a low chance of this solving the problem, but at least we can close the ticket."

Just finishing up my first playthrough on Prince + Standard map/speed. When I try to capture the last capital city for a domination win, the game crashes to desktop. I've tried moving on to the next turn and capturing in other ways, etc, but each time it'll crash.

Steam achievements did update to show that the game was won, so it's possibly an issue with the victory screen that's causing the crash?

There is currently a bug when you are capping certain cities late game. Do you actually get to see the city being attacked?

I'm having the same problem. Been playing a domination game and everytime I try to capture the second last capital (aztecs) the game crashes everytime. There doesn't seem to be any attacking animation but the game just closes.

It might indeed be a problem with the lategame. In my last domination game I captured all capitals until the Industrial Era and all was fine. Now I'm in modern or atomic and can't capture anymore.

I have found that after you get this crash once, the game is ruined and you can no longer capture any city. If anyone finds a workaround, please let us know so we can play. Can't really play until this is resolved.

Top Bottom