G-Major 147

Noble Zarkon

Elite Quattromaster - Immortal (BTS)
Super Moderator
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Immortal
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Speed: Epic
  • Map Type: Pangaea
  • Must Not Be Checked: Random Personalities
  • Civ: Netherlands (Willem Van Oranje)
  • Opponents: Must include America (Lincoln), England (Victoria), India (Gandhi), Mongolia (Genghis Khan), Russia (Catherine), Zulu (Shaka)
  • Version: 3.19.003 or 3.19.004b
  • Date: 25th September to 24th October 2016
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Is toroidal smaller?

Is toroidal smaller?
Toroidal, high sea level and solid shoreline, then about 5% of generated maps will have around 370-380 land tiles. Which is quite a huge advantage in a domination game compared to playing a 600+ tiles map. Finding those maps is a pain. Best is to generate a ton of maps with map finder at pretty lose settings, then sort them by file size. Hover over your score at the start to see the amount of land tiles the map has.

Toroidal, high sea level and solid shoreline, then about 5% of generated maps will have around 370-380 land tiles. Which is quite a huge advantage in a domination game compared to playing a 600+ tiles map. Finding those maps is a pain. Best is to generate a ton of maps with map finder at pretty lose settings, then sort them by file size. Hover over your score at the start to see the amount of land tiles the map has.

Yes, I have generated two such maps yesterday. Now, I am really struggling whether to use this or not. It is not fair as most of the games played didn't abuse this. AIs settle at your borders almost instantly (even when you put minimum number allowed) and you also happen to get a lot of bonus and strategic resources. You can Quechua rush on normal speed.

Yes, I have generated two such maps yesterday. Now, I am really struggling whether to use this or not. It is not fair as most of the games played didn't abuse this. AIs settle at your borders almost instantly (even when you put minimum number allowed) and you also happen to get a lot of bonus and strategic resources. You can Quechua rush on normal speed.
It is a completely different game, yes. Keep in mind that for maximum exploit you should also pack max opponents to bring down domination limit. With those settings I even generated one map where I had contact with some American on T0 before moving a single unit.

It's quite frequently used in HoF. Checked the deity tables, epic and mara #1 domination games are both on 370 tiles micro pangaeas. So is Seraiel's epic conquest game. My recent mara conquest was on a semi-micro pangaea, 450 tiles (that's the next tier after 370-380 tiles, there's a big jump). My mara conq game was toroidal with solid shoreline, just picked a 450 tile map as it doesn't make much difference in conquest games.

Micro pangaeas are mostly viable if you can finish the entire map with ancient/classical units. If you need to tech much further and keep up with deity AI in economy it gets tougher, since distance maintenance is doubled by toroidal world wrap.

Ok, I'll join your abuser bunch. :D
I foolishly played my Conquest on a map probably twice as big. With this map, I can probably shave 50T off.

No entries for this one :sad:

When will HoF be accessible from the main page?

Somehow it is easy to forget about it without links and news.

Hmmm, I was in the middle of a game and didn't realise that the deadline was so fast approaching.

As for my game, I ended up warring with Axemen and Chariots and after taking out chunks of 4 AIs, I think that it would only have been a matter of time before the challenge would have been completed.

Genghis and Shaka had given me the most troubles, but with them both having been taken care of in my game, I was in a good position to take on the remaining leaders.

Is there a HOF equivalent page to the following one, which gives a countdown time for the deadlines of upcoming submissions? http://gotm.civfanatics.net/submit/civ-gotm-new.php

If there isn't such a page, a possible idea could be to name the threads in a way that calls attention to the deadline. For example, following the XOTM format, instead of writing:
G-Major 148

one might write:
G-Major 148 - Carthage, Diplomatic - Starts Oct 25
Or, perhaps:
G-Major 148 - Carthage, Diplomatic - Deadline Nov 24

Basically, use the thread titles to share some pertinent info, both to better advertise the game (making it stand out a little better) and to serve as a deadline reminder. Also, having Civ/Leader + other pertinent info, such as the Victory Condition required, available for one's brain to read when clicking on a thread's link can get a person already thinking about their relevant HOF submissions before the web page for that thread loads.

Top Bottom