Ethnic diversity INFANTRY please

one179

Chieftain
You do not mind German infantry looks like an American? Or russian, japanese....

You want unique artwork for every unit for every civ? First of all, that would make them hard to recognize. Second of all, I'm sure a mod will come along in a bit.

What the hell would a Scythian infantry unit look like?

You want unique artwork for every unit for every civ? First of all, that would make them hard to recognize. Second of all, I'm sure a mod will come along in a bit.

What the hell would a Scythian infantry unit look like?

Errm, yes? Mods for Civ 4 did it, and they weren't hard to recognise. Why should it be up to modders to do this?

It does not bother me in the slightest that my infantry aren't meticulously designed and crafted to suit the specific culture they're being ordered around by. (In this game) Infantry are like toilet paper. I'm going to be sending through the grime and the muck to clean up my mess, so why would I care what they look like? Unique designs are obviously necessary for Unique Units to tell them apart but for the canon fodder it's a nice but completely unnecessary frivolity.

Last edited:
Because unlike modders, Firaxis' artists don't work for free.

So that means they should do LESS work? Amateurs should be left to complete the job that professionals can't be bothered to do? The apologetics on this website is getting out of control.

So that means they should do LESS work? Amateurs should be left to complete the job that professionals can't be bothered to do? The apologetics on this website is getting out of control.
No professional staff of artists can match the volume of output that a lively modding community can do for free; comparing the two is absurd. Don't undervalue the work that artists do.

You're always going to find ways of asking why they didn't include more _______. Not making every unit unique for every civ... isn't so much really lazy as sensible.

I mean, IMO, I think it would be nice if every civ had a unique unit for every age, but that would be a nightmare.

No professional staff of artists can match the volume of output that a lively modding community can do for free; comparing the two is absurd. Don't undervalue the work that artists do.

I suppose you should tell that to the people at Creative Assembly, because Total War games have hundreds of units, each with separate skins. Civ VI has literally a fraction of the number of units TW games do. I'm no fan of CA, but this is pretty laughable. When an amateur set of modders will do MORE work than professional artists and also TO THE SAME STANDARD, it's time to get new artists.

Your attempts at defending Firaxis are weak.

Last edited:
German and American infantry are just fine looking the same, even preferred....as long as German and Kongolese infantry, or Chinese and Indian Infantry look different its ok

I'm not defending Firaxis, I'm defending quality artwork. The quality of modded artwork is highly variable; some of it's very good, but most of it is crap. You can have quality or quantity, but it's expensive to have both. If you can play a mod or a game with really weak artwork and you're perfectly happy with it, then more power to you. Visuals are important to me; I won't play a game or a mod with crappy graphics. To each his own.

Last edited:
The game has a high price and they promised ethnic diversity, so if they do ethnic variant for pikeman, swordman, why not for musketman and infantry (tanks)?? I think that in human history played 2WW big part. Firaxis please do 100% job, not just 50%.

One set of skins for a variety of global civilisations is hardly "quality artwork," but ok. More like "taking the easy road and let those suckers do our work for free." Part of quality work is sufficient quantity. I don't think you understand that.

Why aren't you complaining about why Oxford University or Notre Dame or whatnot be civilization-specific and have unique artwork and text? What about generic libraries? What makes infantry special? Most of the civs in the game never even lived long enough to have infantry, or are too young to have swordsmen. You can go into levels upon levels of detail and customization, but in the end, you need to be consistent in your efforts. Thus, units are uniform.

Honestly I'm pretty happy with what they've done. Look at a German knight and compare it to an Aztec knight; totally different!

I suppose you should tell that to the people at Creative Assembly, because Total War games have hundreds of units, each with separate skins. Civ VI has literally a fraction of the number of units TW games do. I'm no fan of CA, but this is pretty laughable. When an amateur set of modders will do MORE work than professional artists and also TO THE SAME STANDARD, it's time to get new artists.

Your attempts at defending Firaxis are weak.

Total War is a completely different set-up to Civilization. CA employ many more artists/modelers/etc to try and create a number of units with realistic diversity between every faction within a specific time period. Civ isn't about warfare which is why it's only represented in its most basic components. If you want to play a game focused on war play Total War.

Firaxis should do as much as most of the users will see as sufficient. Everything above that is a waste of budget that could go into other things. Things that actually matter to people.
Your one pet issue would be the cog in the wheel of other issues.

That's why modding is the perfect solution for stuff like this - a dedicated person, or team of people, can focus on exactly what they want to focus on without having to work around deadlines, budget and other problems.

Firaxis should do as much as most of the users will see as sufficient. Everything above that is a waste of budget that could go into other things. Things that actually matter to people.
Your one pet issue would be the cog in the wheel of other issues.

That's why modding is the perfect solution for stuff like this - a dedicated person, or team of people, can focus on exactly what they want to focus on without having to work around deadlines, budget and other problems.

So what, pray tell, is sufficient enough for Firaxis to work on? Because according to the fawning mob on this forum, it's pretty much nothing. In this thread, people are arguing it's worthless devoting time to artwork. In another thread, people are arguing it's worthless devoting time to AI because most people apparently don't notice. In another thread, it's argued why bother balancing? Mods can just do that. The glaring gaps in the civic and tech tree - don't worry, modders can fix that.

So what, pray tell, is sufficient enough for Firaxis to work on? Because according to the fawning mob on this forum, it's pretty much nothing. In this thread, people are arguing it's worthless devoting time to artwork. In another thread, people are arguing it's worthless devoting time to AI because most people apparently don't notice. In another thread, it's argued why bother balancing? Mods can just do that. The glaring gaps in the civic and tech tree - don't worry, modders can fix that.
Pro-tip: When you have to strawman the people who disagree with you, you've probably already lost the argument and are just hanging in because you can't accept that other people disagree with you yet. Nobody is arguing that artwork is a waste of time, the argument is about how much work on the details is justified. In this "Do it 'till it's perfect!"-world of yours no game would ever be finished.

And I already told you what I think 'is' sufficient - that, what most people think is sufficient.

Top Bottom