How to Survive Rising Tide Apollo

I've shortly written here, how to win on Apollo in less than 100 turns with ARC. For those, who would like or can't take height for the fisrt time, it should be useful.

Is there a huge difference between Soyuz and Apollo? I've recently finished a game as Kozlov on the difficulty level Soyuz without declaring war to anyone. About the virtues:

Industry: On any difficulty level I prefer the tier 1 industrial virtues and some tier 2 and tier 3 virtues like Liquidity, Civic Duty or Alternate Markets with Magnasanti being one of the most useful virtues in the game. Commoditization is very useful, especially in combination with orbital units like the Weather Controller, let alone the huge energy boost one will get right from the start. . One should be aware of the fact that weather controllers will spawn up to 2 basic resources during their uptime (the amount of resources doesn't increase with prolonged orbital duration, which makes the extra uptime counterproductive, because it can take far more turns to spawn those resources), which will boost economy. The first ~30 turns are the most critical ones in the game on standard speed, so I gladly take Central Planning, too, even if the +5 energy will diminish in the late game.

I've tried every combination of early game virtues, but the most successful one was the one mentioned above, especially because I prefer to play with Kozlov and spam orbital units like Weather Controllers (without any virtue or building/wonder which prolongs their uptime!) and also expand quickly - usually after the capital has 4 to 7 population, depending on finished expeditions, resources, income, and so on. When weather controllers become available, I start spamming dozens of these, especially around outpost locations and unimproved tiles within city range. Another extremely useful orbital unit is the Station Sentinel, which will provide a huge boost to one's economy in the early game.

Prosperity: I don't like these virtues, although it seems like they have some commonalities with the tradition tree in Civ V at first sight - just because apples are green ;). Nature's Bounty and sometimes(!) Ecoscaping are my favourite choices.

The other virtue choices are situational with Might being my preferred choice. At the end of the mid-game one should have at least 30 positive health to max out health's benefits, +500 net income and an army size near the maximum number of supported units and about 8 to 10 cities.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that scouting is very important in my personal gameplay. It's not very uncommon to build 4 explorer units, maybe 2 of them, followed by the old earth's relic and another 2 scouts.

Last edited:
Hello, Might I ask why not prosperity?

No idea, see my post above, but Pathfinding is so good on Apollo, as is Nature Bounty, which taken early enough out does the bonus production from the Industry tree. Working 5 basic resources in your cap, +5 can be 30% or even more.

Top Bottom