How do you guys feel about the late game, so far?

Big J Money

Emperor
I'm not sure what it is, maybe the Religious victory, but I enjoy playing through entire games of Civ VI so far more than BNW. In BNW I would get to a point where I could forsee that my victory was inevitable.

In this game it seems there are more ways the AI can sneak in a win or disrupt my plans, so I want to play it out to the finish to make sure I really can win. Okay, maybe it's not necessary to go to the very last turn, but it gets so close that I might as well at that point. Whereas in BNW I could see an unstoppable win a fairly long way off.

This is even on Prince, which is too easy for me (I'm bumping up to King next game).

I find myself engrossed in managing a large empire in the late game more often than not, which is a good thing. I like that I can add new cities late and they pull their weight with a little help from internal trade. For now at least I'm having fun with it.

I find myself engrossed in managing a large empire in the late game more often than not, which is a good thing. I like that I can add new cities late and they pull their weight with a little help from internal trade. For now at least I'm having fun with it.

the internal trade is powerful, really grows them cities quick which has obvious compounding benefits. the larger gold trades with international destinations become less a factor once the economy with markets and banks is fleshed out

Yeah internal trade is indeed very powerful. The difference between my first and 2nd games are night and day. My 2nd game is building no theaters or campuses and many industrial zones and commerce hubs. I will build campuses soon, though. Factories have started to come online.

Each commerce hub and harbor I build adds +5 production to any brand new city I want (plus some food and gold and faith)

I believe the magic combination of districts is Encampment/Industrial Zone/Harbor for +7 production on an internal trade route, so I try to have at least two or three cities with this setup. Commercial hubs are also important, but I'm starting to warm to the Harbor too if just because it always uses an otherwise terrible tile.

I do throw in campuses/holy sites/theater squares, but they come after the initial industrial zone + commercial hub/harbor. Probably going to play Germany next just because the Hansa is sounding super attractive.

I love that when I find a small uninhabited island in the late game ts now is actually worth settling, and that expanding to the other Continent is effective. Those small islands make ideal vacation destinations if you're going Culture victory due to the coastlines and unspoiled land.

Also Egypt is really powerful. That +4 gold per external trade route turns out to be crazy if you focus on Commercial zones and Harbors.

I had no idea industrial and commerce boosted production in internal trade routes. Thanks for the tip. Right now I see no point to ever having campuses unless you want an early game science boost.

I believe the magic combination of districts is Encampment/Industrial Zone/Harbor for +7 production on an internal trade route, so I try to have at least two or three cities with this setup. Commercial hubs are also important, but I'm starting to warm to the Harbor too if just because it always uses an otherwise terrible tile.

I do throw in campuses/holy sites/theater squares, but they come after the initial industrial zone + commercial hub/harbor. Probably going to play Germany next just because the Hansa is sounding super attractive.
Okay, that's it.

Next game I have my first strategy to work on. Bear with me here :). One city with production focus (i.e. hills). Every other city I prefer to be food focused.

Rationale: Food means more districts. Hammers should be taken care of by Factories and Power Plants. If I can get every city to pop 12 (should be doable), that means every city will get Industrial Zone, Harbor/Commerce, Encampment, Campus/Theater, Entertainment/Space/Aerodrome.

Harbors where I have ocean, otherwise Commerce hubs
I'll plan to go 50/50 Campus/Theater, but can modify it once I see my best path
Entertainment goes where it's needed, otherwise I make sure to leave 2 slots free for Space Districts, and the rest can be Aerodromes, since planes are great.

I'll do adjacency where I can, but I'm much more concerned with output from district buildings in the mid to late game. Adjacency is really best for early game.

Oh, and if I really want religion, the capital should far exceed 15, so I can do a holy site for the early-mid game. Maybe extra holy sites in other cities at the risk of fewer Campuses or Aerodromes later. But I typically stay away from religion, so far.

In a game I played as Russia where I built the Lavra everywhere I could because why not, I found that having a religion with Jesuit Education was quite useful, as I had the faith output to fill out any campus or theater square with buildings whenever it finished. It only really became too expensive faith-wise when dipping into the third-tier buildings, but I had also spent a fair amount of faith converting the rest of my continent to my religion, so maybe it would've been different had I done otherwise. In a game as Rome I didn't play it up quite as much, but Cathedrals to house religious works of art can help with Great Artist clogging, and I have used Faith to snag a few Great People. It's a fairly useful system with a little investment. Granted it can be difficult to do everything at once, which is why I tend to go very very "wide" with lots of cities, as that makes it easier.

Unfortunately factories and plants didn't make any difference to production in my cities, even though I built them all close to each other. I mean, they are useful and all, but in my case effect wasn't that significant as I expected. Wonders are still billlions turns to built and same applies to units of modern eras too.

The late game is ok, but still weaker than the early game. I think exploring is inherently more fun than watching, and a lot of the late game is watching your empire develop. It was an issue in V, is an issue in VI, and I'm not entirely sure what they can do to change it.

It's still fun watching what my empire has become though. I like seeing the results of all my work, which is really awesome.

I think this game badly needs the worlds council from civ 5. To spice up the game up a bit in the last 3 era`s.
At least 1-2 worldwide wars are badly needed, which wont happen at the time as the AI is to passive.

I found my first game kind of tedious at the end. I played King and started on an Island as Japan. Was very clear I was going to win the space victory fairly early on, so was basically 70 turns of hitting "end turn" after I had already finished the culture tree and nearly finished the science tree.

Still haven't actually won that game yet since I just started others. At this point I think there are 20 more "end turns" to go.

To be honest civ has always been about the first half of the game. I have loved it since Civ1, but the end game has always been a bit garbage.

Like every 4x game I ever played it can get tedious. Really having fun though. I can't believe they left out the Hall Of Fame. Seems like they sacrificed a lot of small things to get all the systems in at launch. Can't wait to see where the team takes it.

My biggest flaw with the late game is the lack of buildings. You've got the aerodrome and its buildings, and then about one building per district (research lab, stadium, seaport, power plant), but that's basically it. And that's counting all of modern, atomic, and information era. And in the last 2 eras, atomic and information, it's just the space stuff and an airport. It just feels like we need more.

Would be nice to have some basic satellites to launch and control. So maybe you can launch a weather satellite that gives you +1 food per farm (since knowing the weather can help in crop efficiency), a spy satellite to give you visibility over an area, or a communications satellite which can give other bonuses? Or just more modern buildings (supermarket, mass transit, recycling centre, jail, hospital, etc...). I know at that point you're getting close to the end of the game so not like a +2 bonus would make a big difference, but it still kind of feels nice to actually have things to build, instead of sitting there thinking if it's actually worth it to pop down a new district and go through all the buildings needed.

I've played every version of Civ starting from 1, and they're all great at the beginning, start bogging down in the middle, and get really tedious by the end. So I cut the game short. A good thing about Civ 6 is that you get the custom game length in the advanced game setup, and you can cut it down from 500 to whatever number of turns you fancy. Currently I'm using 351, but that may be still too long.

I've only finished 1 game so far, but the late game then was pretty good. I was going for a cultural victory, and the pacing was good. First, the Archeaology Sites unlocked and kept me busy. Then National Parks, and kept me busy. Then Seaside Resorts. All the while, 4 different civs tried to stop me. That's far more entertaining than Civ V.

Top Bottom