Idea for a DLC feature - adding new civs via gameplay

MRM

Prince
Many civs did not started already 4000BC, they started later, either as a split of or they evolved from what we now would consider as barbarians. So why not adding this to civ. Far away colonies that split of the origin empire, if the people are unhappy or there are religious diversions. And barbarians, who left alone for a long time evolve to a new civ. As a ( IMHO positive ) sideeffect, this would make domination victory more difficult. ( so many tried in history, and all failed in the end ) Any thoughts on this?

...or just have the barbarian settlements become CS or full fledged AI after a certain amount of time, or when a lack of being crushed permits it. They then get a significant bonus to everything depending on the era the come into their own.

You would think it would be possible, at least for the barbs. I'm sure the barb AI and civilization AI are different scrips, and the Civilization AI can make settlers. With barbarian settlements, they could have a turn timer, and at a certain point the timer toggles them to spawn a settler and switch to the Civilization AI with tech based on the year of the game.

or they would no longer be barbs and become your new city, though knowing the AI here they would probably not be in the best of city locations...

Perhaps Barbarians could become city-states, with a building in that produces food and housing because barbarians spawn in empty places, often in tundra, desert, or dry plains.

Maybe City-States could become civilizations once they meet a certain milestone.

Colonies becoming independent would require a more robust happiness system.

Well the more ancient method of civ-making was that farmers build irrigation systems, these somehow result in holdings forming nearby, then a warrior comes and takes everything, then a nomad comes and takes all the holdings. The nomads then become city-folk and 'weak' giving space for new nomads to come in and take all the holdings.

As such it is possible to tie this to barbs, but on the condition that barbs TAKE a city rather than spawn settlers. Just adding in my two pennies.

Well the more ancient method of civ-making was that farmers build irrigation systems, these somehow result in holdings forming nearby, then a warrior comes and takes everything, then a nomad comes and takes all the holdings. The nomads then become city-folk and 'weak' giving space for new nomads to come in and take all the holdings.

As such it is possible to tie this to barbs, but on the condition that barbs TAKE a city rather than spawn settlers. Just adding in my two pennies.

Yes they cannot hold more than one city and must raze all others they conquer. Some bonuses would be in order then to offset the OCC and later starts that might occur should have decent culture artifacts or something like that. And they cannot have any religion so something would be extra for that loss also. Maybe cities grow at 2-3 times faster by default, and if they dev a G-Person they would get super influx of culture/sci/prod/food for a certain number of turns.

Sounds fun but difficult to implement.

I don't know whether modders could do that, that is the reasson i suggested it for a DLC. The devs should be able to do so. We already had splitting empires in Civ 2, remember? ;)

...or just have the barbarian settlements become CS or full fledged AI after a certain amount of time, or when a lack of being crushed permits it. They then get a significant bonus to everything depending on the era the come into their own.

Perhaps Barbarians could become city-states, with a building in that produces food and housing because barbarians spawn in empty places, often in tundra, desert, or dry plains.
Maybe City-States could become civilizations once they meet a certain milestone.

Colonies becoming independent would require a more robust happiness system.

If I think about it, maybe CS should only appear this way. If you look at all our CS, which of them was already around in 4000 BC? So maybe CS can either come form Barb Camps or split of single cities form an other empire. CS may develop to full Civs if the conditions are right ( enough space and non desert/tundra tiles for settlements close to the CS for example )

A more robust happiness system is something we need anyway, but IMHO it should not be the only trigger for a split. Maybe unhappiness + different religion then the rest of the empire or unhappiness + former cites of an different civ of unhappiness + located on a different continent may trigger a split. But there should of course be a warning first ( maybe first some unrests or something like this ) Enemy spies might be able to fuel the unrest then.

You would think it would be possible, at least for the barbs. I'm sure the barb AI and civilization AI are different scrips, and the Civilization AI can make settlers. With barbarian settlements, they could have a turn timer, and at a certain point the timer toggles them to spawn a settler and switch to the Civilization AI with tech based on the year of the game.

or they would no longer be barbs and become your new city, though knowing the AI here they would probably not be in the best of city locations...

I think the the location could be checked. There should be a minimum of "good" tiles within range before a barb camp become a city.

Yes they cannot hold more than one city and must raze all others they conquer. Some bonuses would be in order then to offset the OCC and later starts that might occur should have decent culture artifacts or something like that. And they cannot have any religion so something would be extra for that loss also. Maybe cities grow at 2-3 times faster by default, and if they dev a G-Person they would get super influx of culture/sci/prod/food for a certain number of turns.

Maybe in the beginning. On the other hand, why shouldn't barbarians not become civilized over time? Happened in the real world too ;) And I like the idea of the player have to deal with new rivals ( sometimes potential allies ) - at the moment the game is a bit too linear IMHO

I don't know whether modders could do that, that is the reasson i suggested it for a DLC. The devs should be able to do so. We already had splitting empires in Civ 2, remember? ;)

Maybe in the beginning. On the other hand, why shouldn't barbarians not become civilized over time? Happened in the real world too ;) And I like the idea of the player have to deal with new rivals ( sometimes potential allies ) - at the moment the game is a bit too linear IMHO

Civ has always been "Linear" there's just no way to make it otherwise, and still keep an "historical" gameflow/timeflow going on throughout the whole game. (unfortunately)

Top Bottom