Mountain Tile Usage

Spoonwood

Grand Philosopher
Suede recently did some videos where he called it "bad land Deity" or something like that. It had a patch of mountain tiles near the start. I think the best use of mountain tiles comes as something like the following.

Here's an early Republic screenshot of a German capital still putting out settlers:

Mountain Tiles.png

6 shields per turn, with 3 more turns to reach size 7. Isn't that low for putting out a settler in time as it reaches size 7?

Here's the governor setting, and I note the "emphasize production" setting as important here:

Emphasize Production.png

When the city grows it ends up like this:

After Growth.png

Look, we have 5 rows of 3 shields each for 15 total shields on that settler now! Halfway there. So, now the mountain tile gets swapped:

Swapped Tile.png

See? Now we'll get the settler while the capital keeps on growing. We also could let all the in range bonus grassland tiles to get used by other cities.

The grassland river cow might seem a little too above average, but once in Republic or Monarchy, grassland tiles can get irrigated. I think if a city has at least 4 surplus food when it grows, the highest production tile will get used regardless of how much food it has. So, mining a single hill or mountain tile can help a fair amount in an early Republic or Monarchy.

I think I read that they tried to prevent swapping worked tiles in later civilization versions??? But why? Hitting multipliers like this with emphasize production makes for one of my favorite things about this game, when I can do it, and when it's early at least.

I think I read that they tried to prevent swapping worked tiles in later civilization versions??? But why? Hitting multipliers like this with emphasize production makes for one of my favorite things about this game, when I can do it, and when it's early at least.
Yes, at least since Civ4 surplus shields and food get saved for the next production/ population growth. I guess the reason for doing so is that it becomes quite tedious to swap around production tiles when you have a lot of cities.

Top Bottom