A study on Teleportation

Ouch! Thanks for the info... Looks like I'll be canning the mage's teleport ability and the mage tower's telepad function in that case.. It would suck to have your capitol taken without a fight just because 1 mage teleports into it. I'm still keeping the telepad function for the mages so that summoned creatures can teleport to them.

I know that according to Hindu tradition most siddhis (metaphysical powers such as teleportation) can only be learned and function effectively away from the distractions of an urban center. So:

Can airfields have the telepad function? If so, then a unit (mage?) could be given the ability to build telepads; while they might be taken by rivals, the nearby cities would not be endangered.

I don't think they can. Those things are pretty much hard coded on what they do.

As I understand it, you don't actually have to have any teleport buildings. A unit could teleport from one telepad unit to another. If so, then we can get around the issues with cities being too easy to capture.

On another note - has anyone encountered any instability with the cracked editor? I don't want to start working on a scenario with it and find that I lose a load of work because of a dodgy editor.

As I understand it, you don't actually have to have any teleport buildings. A unit could teleport from one telepad unit to another. If so, then we can get around the issues with cities being too easy to capture.

It´s even better. :D

You don´t need a telepad unit to teleport a unit to a unit telepad. You only need a unit that has the "teleportable" ability and is in range (telepad range)of a legal telepad unit. In these cases the unit can teleport to the telepad unit from every land tile. It must not be in a stack with a telepad unit to teleport to that telepad unit.

Please note, that you can adjust for each unit what are there legal unit (and building) telepads. It seems, the unit can´t teleport to a telepad unit that isn´t a legal telepad for that unit even if the unit is in that telepad units´range.

The same for building telepads. It seems you can teleport from one building telepad to another building telepad (and capture that city if it´s owned by another civ) if the unit has the teleport ability, but only if the other building telepad is a legal building telepad for that unit.

Yes, currently, I have the FF mod set up so that Mage Towers are telepad buildings, and mages are both teleportable and telepads. Mages only have the Mage towers as their legal telepads, whilst the summoned creatures (when I get around to making them) would have had both mages and mage towers as legal telepads.... As it will soon be, only the summoned creatures will have the teleport ability and they will be able to teleport to mage units.

Very interesting...

I just found out that paradropable units can not be telepads. Quite unexpected.

That does sound pretty interesting. I wonder what other flags are like that?

I also wonder if it is something along these lines that are stopping the "Charm" from working. It may be "Capture", "Load", or something else that you wouldn't really want to get rid of...

Very interesting...

I just found out that paradropable units can not be telepads. Quite unexpected.

D'oh! That messes up my plans. What about putting barbs units with telepad abilities? hmmmm....

I think Civinator set up a way for the AI to do so on the 1st page.

Oz, here is the thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=208023

The AI did use teleportation. It even declared war. And then, it tried to teleport back. So it seems good if the AI can´t teleport back when it should invade another territory. And the AI teleported a lot in its own empire.

But all this research about the use of teleportation by the AI is in its beginnings. :)

Can we make custom units with teleportation special effects? In other words is there an animation associated with the teleport function?

No animation is played.

And I found something else:

Units with the upgrade ability may not receive teleporting units.

Someone confirm this statement. I tested it, and strangely enough, they can't.

Top Bottom